The future of dieselshite: is it bleak, or bollocks?

2MB

I'm sure we're all aware that diesel vehicles have suddenly become public enemy number one on the eyes of the government, who seem to be gearing up to criminalise the hordes of people who listened to the government and purchased them in recent years. I'd written it off as scaremongering by the doom-and-gloom papers, but recently I've started looking for a new (old) motor. I've decided I want a first gen Nissan Elgrand with the veg friendly 3.2 donkey, but am having trouble finding one here that isn't a bit fucked. After contacting a few importers, it turns out that none of them are bothering with the diesels any more, as "people are dumping them like mad now with new legislation on way".

I just wondered what shiters' opinions were on the matter. I figured that the masses of trucks, buses and vans operating in cities would make it too hard to push through a diesel tax, but now I'm not too sure. I rarely drive into cities but it would be nice to have the option...

Unless they somehow penalise private cars and not commercial vehicles?

This is what they were just dicussing on the Jeremy "ohmygodtheworldsgonnaend" show. Apparently the Gov want to force the public to scrap their diseasels in favour of petrol/hybrid stuff but with no mention of penalising the gazillion commercial vehicles out there.

There appears to be some sort of consultation going on. The MD of JLR has just tweeted that he's happy to see the difference between old, polluting diesels and new, clean ones has been acknowledged. I'm like, 'hold on a minute. It's modern diesels that are the problem due to horrendous NOx!' He was then banging on about low carbon emissions yadda yadda, when that's not really what's causing concern at the moment.

How would the government do this ?

Ambulances, Trains, Busses, Arctics, Ships...... every vehicle and its dog is a diesel just about, especially when it comes to long distance hauling/freight.

Hoping not a lot changes in this regard, I quite like my Mondy Diesel.

They will start with private car owners like you and me because we are the softest targets.  If you drive a diesel then your wallet will become a legitimate target for emptying.  You can console yourself that although you might be horribly guilty in your polluting car that at least you will be paying off the national debt.

The fact that the worlds biggest pollution problem, which is actually global warming, according to the very folks that hate your diesel, is worse with a petrol car, will be quietly ignored.  How convenient.

I think over the next few years there will be some bargain diesels to be bought but longer term they are going to virtually disappear, starting with London and followed by other large cities.

Eventually if you own one you won't be allowed to drive it into any large city.

I am going to enjoy my Jaguar XJ 2.7 diesel sports saloon for as long as I can, and if it gets banned from London use a second car to address that.  It is just fortunate that I live outside of the North Circular rather than inside it.

A lot of people seem to believe that small diesel engines are much nastier pro rata than lorries, especially for Nitrogen Oxide (or 'deadly gas' as scientists call it) emissions. The BBC, Guardian and Telegraph say so but since the figures bandied about vary wildly the only thing you can rely on is that they all distort the truth. The underlying message from the wankers is to throw away anything old and buy the latest flavour. You're only allowed something old if it has been 'upcycled'- painted stupid colours and the price quadrupled by some cunt on daytime TV.

There are two issues with Diesels.

- The high NOx emissions

- The particulates

They cause two entirely different problems that need to be addressed:

- Climate Improvement© (The GGG is very good at this because it refuses to use Diesels)

- Localised air quality management in conurbations

If it is really the objective of the governments (plural, because this is going on everywhere)

to address these issues, I wonder why they start with Diesel passenger cars, which merely

cause ca. 11% of all Diesel emissions.

Hence I call it bollocks and money grabbing.

Personally, I'm pro Diesel killing, though, because I'm allergic to Diesel fumes which do

indeed give me respiratory problems in cities. I hence advocate to buy big bloody petrol V8s.

They are leaning on the bus industry in a BIG way, especially in London. Hybrids are rife, and 100% electric buses are running around the city in both single & double deck, First, Arriva & Stagecoach all have fairly large fleets of hybrids now, and Stagecoach have a few Scanias about running on gas. The bloke behind Tesla's technology is applying the same to light delivery trucks, and Smith's of Gateshead of Rington's & Mister Softee fame)are behind electric 7.5 tonners that are available in the UK and US, based on the Daewoo/Avia, TNT use them for some of their inner city deliveries

Guest Breadvan72

Junkman, I don't suppose you will answer this in other than a satirical manner, but I am bored, so I shall ask anyway.  Are you really a Climate Change sceptic (a polite term for a denier), or is that all just part of the Junkman schtick?    

It won't get you a date with Ivanka, you know.  Also, you really shouldn't want a date with Ivanka.  

Guys... This is not just limited to diesel. Any pre euro4 petrols are likely to be fucked too.

I looked into this as I don't want to drive anything newer than my 75. My diesel is not ULEZ or T Charge compliant, but my KV6 is T charge compliant as it's a euro4 engine.

HOWEVER... From 2019 it looks like it will be banned from Sadiq Khan's ULEZ zone on age alone - and they're currently consulting on whether that will cover the same zone as the current LEZ - if it does I'll be fucked & have to buy something small and modern.

I guess it remains to be seen how other cities follow & whether there will be other implications via VED etc... But I reckon this is not just about emissions - they all want us in new, financed, connected cars. For the greater good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm fully expecting to be shafted by the Government in successive years, as I drive the exact sort of car they want shot of - namely a 306 HDi that only meets Euro 2 standards.

I don't care much for diesels if I'm honest and would rather a good petrol engine, but the car does exactly what I need and exactly what diesels excel at - it plods up and down the motorway doing 20k miles a year and averages 55mpg.  Any petrol car isn't going to be anything like as frugal, and unsurprisingly someone like me isn't about to get rid of a £500 car and pay that every couple of months to lease something new and shiny to save the world.

The ridiculous thing is that a modern equivalent-ish of it - a Merc A200d that my missus has - seems to be about 5mpg less on the same journey.  Call me cynical, but if it burns more fuel to do the same journey, is it really much better for the environment despite the supposed Euro 6 compliance?  It has after all already been proved that the tests are pretty much meaningless in the real world.

And the other problem is that because so many people have been buying diesels for years, it's actually quite hard to find petrol models of various mid-sized cars.

Junkman, I don't suppose you will answer this in other than a satirical manner, but I am bored, so I shall ask anyway.  Are you really a Climate Change sceptic (a polite term for a denier), or is that all just part of the Junkman schtick?    

It won't get you a date with Ivanka, you know.  Also, you really shouldn't want a date with Ivanka.  

The climate is way too shit. We must improve it.

I reckon we should all be made to drive these....

Heavens, it's the Jay Leno TERRBN car!

Oh my God. Felly made the same joke as I was posting. Pissflaps.

Which would force me to modify my driving habits by 0%.

Yes, the last time this happened I stole a tank and tried to invade Paris.

I went to Leeds on the Tube.

Much as the media seem to be hyping up anti-diesel fervour, particularly the Daily Express which seems to be running daily 'Shock, horror, they're going to BAN DIESEL' type articles, I doubt much is really going to happen.

There will probably be a diesel scrappage scheme, in which those not too fussed about having a diesel will chop theirs in and the rest of us won't.

Perhaps there will be bans on driving diesels into cities during the daytime, but to be honest if you drive into a city during the daytime you're a fool, and I can't think of any vehicle worse for doing it in than a turbodiesel.

Perhaps they'll put an extra tax on diesels, but as usual it'll probably be those cars on the post-2001 tax system that get stiffed as it's hardly worth chasing owners of 15+ year old cars for extra money, especially considering the tiny minority of them which are actually powered by heavy oil.

Overall then, I don't think there's much to worry owners of typical Autoshite diesel fare, and we can probably sleep soundly in the knowledge that men from the Government aren't going to come round in the middle of the night and violently seize our old XUDs and 1.9 TDis.

They are leaning on the bus industry in a BIG way, especially in London. Hybrids are rife, and 100% electric buses are running around the city in both single & double deck, First, Arriva & Stagecoach all have fairly large fleets of hybrids now, and Stagecoach have a few Scanias about running on gas. The bloke behind Tesla's technology is applying the same to light delivery trucks, and Smith's of Gateshead of Rington's & Mister Softee fame)are behind electric 7.5 tonners that are available in the UK and US, based on the Daewoo/Avia, TNT use them for some of their inner city deliveries

The trouble with all these hybrids is that they end up weighing close to twelve tons with all the extra gubbins added. I seem to remember an article a few years ago where Tfl were pleased to be getting 8mpg from there Boris buses (probably less now the battery packs are going pear shaped).

This is still less than an original Routemaster using 60 year old technology mainly because the RM only weighs 7.5 tons.

My suggestion is fit the hybrids with pantographs and put wires up at the end of routes like Victoria or Hammersmith where they have lengthy layovers. Then they could recharge and spend far more time on electric.

They had fully electric buses in Vienna doing this when I went there recently. They'd just run a link off the tram wires to side road where the buses could recharge. We don't have enough tram wires over here mores the pity.

The ridiculous thing is that a modern equivalent-ish of it - a Merc A200d that my missus has - seems to be about 5mpg less on the same journey. Call me cynical, but if it burns more fuel to do the same journey, is it really much better for the environment despite the supposed Euro 6 compliance? It has after all already been proved that the tests are pretty much meaningless in the real world.

I've been saying this for years. An example from the bus world:

1970's Bristol VR double decker fitted with an 10,450cc non-turbo Gardner 6LXB - returns around 12-14mpg.

2013 Dennis Enviro 400 decker fitted with a 'low emission' 8.3 Cummins ISC - 5-6mpg.

How the buggery fuck can an engine that burns twice as much fuel put out better emissions?