Info please read

daveb47

IP.Board Bulletin

IMPORTANT: As of April 1, 2017, IP.Board 3.x (all versions) have been discontinued. No further support or security patches will be provided and you may be operating the software in an insecure state. We recommending updating to our latest IPS Community Suite (IPS4) release at your earliest convenience. Please contact us with any questions.

Recieved from ipb

Yo Dave, is it worth changing over to the opensource one from your test link the other day at the same time?

I'm sure people won't like change, but it seems like this Invision sw is costly, and you have to follow their upgrade schedule, whereas with the opensource stuff you're perhaps more likely to get patches for an older version for longer.

It's important to keep these things secure.

The server presumably has a hash of all of our passwords, which in theory can't be reversed to the actual password but if you use a simple word or one that's too short or something then the bad guys can brute force it.

So we don't want the hash file stolen.

Once your password on here is blown then if you use it elsewhere then those sites are blown as well.

And you all use different passwords for every Internet site that you use don't you :roll:

Then there is the issue that if the server get broken into and starts to be used for hosting illegal content then it will get blocked and we won't be able to use it.

And then there is the issue that if there is a problem and Dave needs tech support they won't help him.

The software that my little company produces has been upgraded quite a few times, and we simply do not help customers unless they are running the current version.  It is so much easier to support one version of something than twenty.

It is just the way of these things unfortunately.

I have today purchased a new futureproof server,it is all we will ever need.

Not moving over to it till i do board.software upgrade though.

Do both at same time.

Dual Xeon E5-2670 96GB 960GB SSD Preconfig

2.66GHz / 3.3GHz Turbo
    16 Cores / 32 threads
    96GB DDR3
    960GB SSD

33TB Monthly Transfer
    5 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block**

I have today purchased a new futureproof server,it is all we will ever need.

With all due respect, that's a very bold claim. It's a bit like my ISP advertising "unlimited" internet.

I'm sure it'll last a very long time and has a large degree of spare capacity and oomph, but we all know what technology is like and the future has a habit of catching up with it rendering it obsolete eventually.

So just like my ISP has small print, is there small print for this? (3/5/7/10 years?)

http://fahl.us/test

is up on new server,your user pass from here should work ok,its running Ipb4.1.9.feel free to have a play.

Remember that no posts on there will be kept

Theme is virtually sorted,just some text changes etc to do.

Not going to upgrade just yet as Ipb4.2 alpha has just been released,& i am currently beta testing that.

4.2 final will be some time & will leave upgrade for that.