J4mes' fleet updates.

J4mes

Thought I would compile all my threads into one on here and one on the blue forum.

I'm James, 30, living in Newcastle.

The current fleet comprises of my daily driver Honda Accord Type.

35470773552_d469a1fc15_b.jpg

Which pretty much always looks like this as I'd rather drive than polish cars.

Next up is the Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark. This was bought by my Mrs against my advice (I thought it was overpriced). I'd never really got the whole Alfa thing but driving this is really special, not quick but sounds lovely and the interior is brilliant.

It's currently in the naughty corner after massive omghgf on the A19.
I've just picked up the head from the machine shop so the next project is to get it buttoned back up.

The reliable car currently being destroyed by the Mrs is this 180k Seat Toledo TDI (110bhp non pd ftw). I bought it full of dog hair and stinking of mould about 3.5 years ago and have got it mechanically A1 but it's an absolute shed on the outside.

34830071573_40e502456f_b.jpg

And finally the long term project, my Toyota Corolla GTi-16 which was my first car and will never be sold.
35470727862_1a330ce514_z.jpg

35470728242_142c5eef4a_z.jpg

Don't be deceived by the photo, it is VERY rusty, any normal person would have scrapped/broken it years ago. I'll do the latest rust review later on but have a little preview:

34797740704_54be3db532_b.jpg

So yeah I had to trim a bit out of the rear turret!

34797740064_115b3fbc8d_b.jpg[

I'll update with my twatting about as an when it happens (sorted a few problems last night).

Hope these old boats are welcome here!

Picture the scene last friday night, Mrs singing at a charity gig, daughter in bed, 1st beer in hand.
Then you get a call from the bird and a pic saying my car (errr mine actually pet!) is f×%cked.

34797793124_411aeb93c0_b.jpg

That'll be the sump f÷##ked then! She smacked it on the 5" curb in the background.

Saturday morning comes, head down the local scrappy as they've got a few VAG diesels in. ID a Toledo, same engine code, rip the sump off, fugging £40! I was desperate so had to stomach it, click and collect some gasket sealant and 5litres of oil from ecp (57% discount), load up tools and head down, secretly hoping the traveller kin that were camped next to the car had managed to disappear or torch the thing!

Long story short the sump I bought doesn't have the oil level sensor hole cut out. So I wanged a load of out of date chemical metal on it and banged the oil in.

34830081313_28ab8fe7d8_b.jpg

Fast forward to last night and I've got the right sump-ebaytastic £25!!!![

34830081913_0818a93796_b.jpg

When in Romania and all that.

34797792624_40e2cbe229_b.jpg

Yep downpipe was fugged in all kinds of ways, replacement is stainless decat number because racecar or maybe because it was £65 delivered and a pattern one (with cat) was £100+.

Anyway after a few hours crawling around its all sorted. Oh and might put the undertray back on for more protections.

Good work. I must confess, that would have probably had me getting it towed to a garage with fistfuls of cash and lengthy delays becoming involved soon after.

There's times when I wish I would do that, my life would be a whole lot easier!

My 1st & 2nd car were AE82 Corolla Twincams (the one before yours) and they dissolved for fun, apparently the AE92s were even worse so I can believe it!

Moaar pics please

Yeah anywhere behind the front windows is game for it, oh and the sunroof which is the root cause as it drains into the sills. The silly 80's body kit doesn't help the situation!

I'll sort a big proper update on it!

AE92 looks pretty. Kudos for keeping your first car. I really wish kept my first car, and if we ever have kids, I'll insist they keep their first car, even if it means me storing the darn thing. Your Leon should carry on forever - those TDi lumps are pretty much bombproof.

Any more info on the Corolla?

AE92 looks pretty. Kudos for keeping your first car. I really wish kept my first car, and if we ever have kids, I'll insist they keep their first car, even if it means me storing the darn thing. Your Leon should carry on forever - those TDi lumps are pretty much bombproof.

Any more info on the Corolla?

Yeah the 'Leon with a boot' is pretty solid, the non-pd is running as sweet as can be expected of an old tech diesel!

Was a nice first car, it's been stored for a (long) while but will be coming back as a track day car running the original 4AGE on bike carbs or home brew turbo kit- after all the welding that is!

I suppose one positive is she didn't carry on driving the car minus it's oil.

I've tried to instill some mechanical sympathy but it's a losing battle. She's got a penchant for ripping exhausts off, 3 out of 3 cars so far!ðŸ˜

Yeah that's me! Have you been stalking me?!

Haha. Clocked you mentioning it on RR, before. I have a knack for remembering useless stuff!

What part of Somerset did you live in? I have friends there.

I do like an ATR, too. A mate had a red one, years ago. Very light clutch!

Is yours Pirates Black?

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome along.

My neighbour has a lovely silver type r accord that he just stopped using one day and has sat in his drive for about 2 years. It looks mint and unmolested too.

Seems strange, they're such good driver's cars, if you haven't tried one stick a cheeky offer in, you never know!

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, I promised updates so here they are.

Mrs complained of a 'slight' noise in the Toledo. I take it out and it's a wheel bearing and it's fucking deafening!
So I'm 110% it's the rear passenger side, definately 110%.

Home from work and straight to it:

35639061815_ca68662660_b.jpg

Cut remains of bearing and split:

34797801854_3aaa9ecefb_b.jpg

New bearing fitted:

35639061635_67196a49c1_b.jpg

35639064215_dd1d33118b_b.jpg

Job done, in 35mins. In time for gammon and eggs so I'm a happy chap.

You probably know where this is going..
Out for a test drive, noise is still there then! Twat.

That'll be the front right then, it's had a slightly* binding caliper for a small amount of time*.

So that front caliper I'd known about for some time. So I'd been super efficient and gone to the scrappy and picked up a caliper and hub for £20.

Stripped everything down, media blasted it all at work, then painted it all up.
Fitted with new bearing (£18) and abs sensor (£6).
34797799814_24fd90f48e_b.jpg

So now it's 8pm, Mrs needs the car tomrrow so I think fug it is can get this done in a couple of hours..

35639064175_43ab708501_b.jpg

Managed to strip it down, only having to cut two bolts off with the grinder. Yes my neighbours love me.

As a side note, if you enjoy* battling bearings, get yourselves one of these sets. £35 and it's paid for itself 5 times over.

34797793594_ccd9094638_b.jpg
Hub all fitted back up with new track rod end and outer ball joint that I had in 'stock' from 2 years ago.

34797802934_ae5c037b8c_b.jpg

So on to the caliper then.

35470786362_582c42024b_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

FUCK RIGHT OFF!!!11

But it's fine I'll just get the pipe flaring tool out and stick a new fitting on.

Or not as VAG is some stupid 4.75mm DIN flare that I can't do with my fancy trident flaring tool.

I down tools, pack up and head in for a strop. Mrs is well happy as she now has to take the daughter to Leeds by train.

So I ordered the fancy DIN flaring tool, again a Trident one. Next day delivery, these are brilliant bits of kit, loads easier than the cheaper flaring tools.
35470788082_200286de1b_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

Replacement brake pipe:34797804644_fe45297208_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

Just got to bleed the brakes and hopefully the reliable car should be reliable again!

Few other bits and pieces...

New wheels for the Corolla:
34830082763_d13dc5354b_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

VTEC Direct stainless 4-2-1 manifold for Accord:
34797795064_91d748aaaa_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

Needs a new flexi welding in and a decent polish. I've already stripped the wrap off which was a fun job.

Also Tein rear strutbrace, again for the Accord, supposed to be a good improvement..
35639062925_f2a5b815e6_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

I've also been on a major weldathon on the Corolla, but I'll save that for another update. I need to get the Alfa's head back together as I've had it back from the machine shop for about a month..

Started on the Alfa's head tonight, enjoying lapping in the valves, quite time consuming mind.
35639064515_46b53cde67_b.jpgVarious Cars by jgreenefc4eva, on Flickr

I've run out if time and patience trying to bleed the brakes on the Toledo, it's down at my trusted garage, there's definitely air in the abs unit and it needs Vagcom- which my laptop has but won't charge. Don't usually like giving my cars to garages but it's royally shafted me this weekend and I've had enough!