What's the best 2K car - Suggestions

gadgetgricey

Mate of mine has a ZT and he says the clutch is on the way out, so is looking at changing cars.

I've already said why does he not get it changed (and the DMF), but I think he wants a change anyway as he's had the car a few years.

Any suggesstions for what car would be best (ZT size) for around the £2000 mark.

He's not mechanically minded and wants something he can just get in and use. I've tried to convice him that CC's Accord would be ideal, but he thinks if a car is under £500 its going to break down every second.

My initial thoughts would be Mk3 Petrol Mondeo but could not remember if 1.8 or 2.0 was the better/more reliable engine.

He does not want an Auto, or would be looking for a diesel 75 or ZT.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Avoid diesel at this money, potential for injector/pump/DMF etc trouble too great and your at money where you can't afford to chuck it away. You'll get a 1.8 or 2.0 Mondeo for less than that probably £1500 tops for a real good one.

1.8 VVT Vectra, Avensis possibly.

Probably best would be a petrol Octavia.

Not a lot of choice as cars this size were mostly diesel for a while before everyone realised they were a waste of money.

A bit smaller but a petrol Focus 1.8/2.0 should prove reliable.

I'd avoid a BMW again at that money, could be expensive trouble.

If it's a diesel you want the Mk4 Mondeo is considerably more reliable than the Mk3.

I consulted the internet cement milkshake aggregator (ICMA, or 'utter bollocks' for short) for responses to your query. 

Powerfully built company director moonlighting as a cage fighter collective: Remapped E46 330d. This car can also be used to reverse engineer Brexit, is appropriate for every gainfully employed person in Britain and is quicker over the quarter mile than a Saturn V. 

The VOC suggested a £200 fully belt serviced, MoT'd 960 24v estate on Cosmic wheels. 

In the pickled despair section of the internet, Autismshite democratic republic thought a Horsey Horseless (!!!!1) was the best option, and then posted a picture of Alex Colville's knob to clarify. 

Shergar was unavailable for comment. 

Mate of mine has a ZT and he says the clutch is on the way out, so is looking at changing cars.

I've already said why does he not get it changed (and the DMF), but I think he wants a change anyway as he's had the car a few years.

Any suggesstions for what car would be best (ZT size) for around the £2000 mark.

He's not mechanically minded and wants something he can just get in and use. I've tried to convice him that CC's Accord would be ideal, but he thinks if a car is under £500 its going to break down every second.

My initial thoughts would be Mk3 Petrol Mondeo but could not remember if 1.8 or 2.0 was the better/more reliable engine.

He does not want an Auto, or would be looking for a diesel 75 or ZT.

Any suggestions would be great.

My entire livelihood depends on one of these.  http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/191624/reg-toyota-avensis-estate-chester

They are so, so easy to live with.  It's little things like

• the oil filter being at the top and facing you
  • lack of engine trays underneath
  • space in the engine bay
  • comfortable
  • economical (I get 42mpg from a 2.0i on the motorway - never less than 36)
  • utterly, utterly reliable. (I'm now on 205,000 miles without a single hard shoulder moment)

They're very boring - but infinitely more reliable and rust resistant than the equivalent Fords.

I thought there were issues on the diesel mondeo's. (DMF and injectors?)

Not the mk4.

Mine is on 180k, my dad's 150k. I would drive either of them anywhere.

The TDCi avoid avoid shit is a load of rubbish, a lot of the time.

The Mk4 TDCI has a decent reputation. Mk3 can be tricky. Could be ok, could go seriously wrong. Where the Mk3 is concerned, you could buy one for £2,000 that could be no better than one for £500. It's pot luck with them as to when the injectors or fuel pump will go. The Mk4 used the much much much better PSA diesel

As I think I have previously posted elsewhere on here:

Come the nuclear Holocaust, when the the 6ft cockroaches drive to work, it'll be in a k11 micra on pirelli p6000 tyres. But when the k11s break (which they will), then the courtesy car from the garage will be a mk1 Avensis.

They are fucking unkillable!

Until my dads suffered an unfortunate "burning to a crisp with the rest of the unit" it had never failed to start, cost buttons to run and was always always ready and able to do whatever you asked of it.

That said, at the moment I'd spend the money on an avensis deluxe* (aka LS400)

As I think I have previously posted elsewhere on here:

Come the nuclear Holocaust, when the the 6ft cockroaches drive to work, it'll be in a k11 micra on pirelli p6000 tyres. But when the k11s break (which they will), then the courtesy car from the garage will be a mk1 Avensis.

They are fucking unkillable!

Until my dads suffered an unfortunate "burning to a crisp with the rest of the unit" it had never failed to start, cost buttons to run and was always always ready and able to do whatever you asked of it.

That said, at the moment I'd spend the money on an avensis deluxe* (aka LS400)

They rotted like fuck though. We had one, it had patch over patch on the sills. The engine would go on forever though.