Dollywobbler's Dodgy Daimler - Dead

dollywobbler

I must apologise to the many people on Autoshite from whom I have very nearly bought a car recently. There have been two near-identical XJ40s vying for my attention, then a Lexus was lobbed into the mix. I definitely got far too excited as I battled with which of these highly desirable fuel-slurpers I wanted to take home.

I wasn't quick enough on the Lexus anyway, which left battle to commence between Conrad's Jaguar XJ40, and 320Touring's Daimler XJ40. Between them, there's very nearly a good car. Both have issues, both of which complicate collection caper plans. 

In the end, another price drop from 320Touring was enough to tempt me. It appears that I'll be eating dinner in Glasgow tonight. Tomorrow, we need to cure the fuel leak, cross fingers and then it's just the small matter of driving 320 miles back home, in a car that hasn't moved for three weeks, which leaks fuel and yet which has over an entire month of MOT!

I've always wanted an XJ40, and it obviously works well for Classic Jaguar, which is one of my day jobs. My love for the XJ40 started rather a long time ago, with this model car.

C97Wla_WsAAnrV1.jpg

It was the first model car that I owned and decided to keep. I did try to keep it nice, but inevitably, some paint has flaked away anyway - just like the one I'm buying! I think I was about 12 when I got it. Sadly, I didn't keep the box, but this model started me down the collector road, so all subsequent models did retain the box - including a Police XJ40 I also still own.

I won't be live reporting on here, but should be posting throughout the trip on Twitter (@dollywobbler). I'll do a traditional post-caper report once I'm home, though can't promise that'll be soon. I'll be late back on Saturday, and out in the 2CV for Drive It Day on Sunday. I'll do my best! There will be no poo count, but I'll try to remember to take photos of food.

I wasn't quick enough on the Lexus anyway, which left battle to commence between Conrad's Jaguar XJ40, and 320Touring's Daimler XJ40. Between them, there's very nearly a good car. Both have issues, both of which complicate collection caper plans. 

I have broken the news to the Jag. Poor Jag, you lost out this time. 

post-17021-0-51674300-1492775737_thumb.jpg

You could never compete with an MOT certificate. 

Guest Breadvan72

I had a night oot in Glasgea in 1996, went to a curry house called Bombay Blues. Was an entertaining evening all round.

Is that on Sauchiehall Street?  IIRC, the curries are almost as orange as the women, but not as orange as the Bru. I hope that you didn't accidentally look at anyone else's pint.    That, I gather, is the most rapid way to be acquainted with the noble and auncient art of chewin' a brick.

go on

apart from the anniversary - why??

train station in belfast had lots of ads for 50 years etc etc

Irish Transport Trust rally. Normally we go foot passenger on the boat but we've two 25-year old ex-Ulsterbus Goldliner Leyland Tigers, 50th anniversary of the founding of Ulsterbus... why not?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is that on Sauchiehall Street?  IIRC, the curries are almost as orange as the women, but not as orange as the Bru. I hope that you didn't accidentally look at anyone else's pint.    That, I gather, is the most rapid way to be acquainted with the noble and auncient art of chewin' a brick.

Hope* St apparently.

I was there with Auto Express in '96 and stayed in a hotel in an area that looked as though it had a nocturnal visit from the Luftwaffe.

*Abandon all ye who enter etc etc