My capri laser project

fordperv

Today's job was to repair the inner wing and under the scuttle, again this side i had to replicate the 3 separate skins, this is what I cut out

20170518_180930_zpswhz6lqfs.jpg

After I welded that up i proceeded to cut the wing rail off, unfortunately whilst i was doing it i got a bugger of a spark shoot through my goggles and lodge itself in my right eye so a trip to a&e was required to remove it, when I got back i popped back out and welded the replacement rail on and added the inner wing to strut strengthener as per the other side

20170518_180111_zpsoqpubfxo.jpg

I'll grind the welds back another day, the only part i ground back was behind where the strengtheners is mounted so it sits nice.

Today I cut out the front of the sill on the drivers side and an area of rot i saw just in front pretty much exact to the other side i did, so proceeded to knock up a repair section and then cut up the sill repair section and let them both in

20170521_190136_zpsxoexaap4.jpg

I then spent 4 hours getting the drivers pattern wing fitting something like, it was well out, the part that follows the line of the scuttle was pressed against the body and was nowhere near inline and the gap was well out, a mixture of heat and hammers and a couple of slits its about there now just a little more finessing when i get chance and weld up the slits

20170521_192408_zpsftdhq6d3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Even though I havnt been updating my thread i have been cracking on with jobs, I have finished the welding to the drivers inner wing where I needed to repair the strengthening plate and behind in the engine bay, but to gain access i had to remove the radiator mounting panel, then fitted the new slam panel,

20170603_181031_zpsluruusae.jpg

I also repaired the passengers strut top

20170613_112616_zpsmuvnqdjs.jpg

20170613_122055_zpszm3q7a9u.jpg

After this I cut off the sill back on the passengers side, the lower quarter, also repaired the inner wheel tub where there was a peppering of rust, I also cut a rust scab from the bottom of the quarter where it meets the arch just above the sill

This was a scab until I hit it a few times with my corrosion assessment tool

20170613_141210_zpsr3mttpx0.jpg

20170613_174756_zpscpcqxkcm.jpg

I've still got to do those 2 scabs in the arch lip, for information purposes it appears to be on its original rear arches

I have also stripped the interior out to check for any areas requiring repair, cut out corrosion on the rear floor pans both sides just where the double skinned area is before the rear spring hanger, where they all rot but it wasn't too bad to be fair, I reproduced both skins and zipped it all up, I didn't take a picture of this though

While the seats were out i cleaned them up, these were from the LS breaker i bought to cut the front corner off so I could repair this

As you can see they were minging

20170623_200817_zpsvtu4w6l0.jpg

20170623_200817_zpsvtu4w6l0.jpg

20170623_200757_zpslnlj6liw.jpg

A side by side comparison

20170623_200751_zpshapt1nek.jpg

20170623_203457_zps07noyysu.jpg

Earlier on i cleaned the carpet and plastics then built the interior back up

20170627_210246_zpsodxldtir.jpg

20170627_210141_zpstacazikl.jpg

Under the rear drivers sound deadening i found the remains of an original build sheet, the car mustve got damp years back and damaged it, mrs fp put the pieces back together for me while i was working on the car

20170627_231407_zps2x70qref.jpg

There might be a couple of jobs ive done that ive missed off

I wish I had your welding skills it's truly amazing what your doing to your Capri.

I hope once you've done all that welding that your going to cover the area around the front struts with inch thick brushed underseal for that genuine 80s look of hiding the rot for the MOT man for that retro touch.

I bought a set of these to replace my other goggles

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-CONCEALER-CLEAR-ANTI-FOG-SAFETY-GOGGLES-EN166-CE-APPROVED-DPG82-11D-/302296454659?epid=1031902638&hash=item466245d603%3Am%3AmoQaqMTZAGF4bsSsUbruKMg&_trkparms=pageci%253A0d52faee-5c15-11e7-8e92-74dbd180f307%257Cparentrq%253Aef4856f515c0ac803638fd3ffff94726%257Ciid%253A3

Can't rate them highly enough, the vents are concealed and they fit well with the inner seal, i think the problem with my old ones was the vents were open just underneath so added entry points for objects

• 1 month later...

Well since photobucket has gone all hostage situation with pictures ive been reluctant to update build threads, I have been chipping away at this,

I've rebuilt the front suspension with new inserts and -2" springs (it's what I already had in the shed so have spent no actual money)

The difference in length of the springs

post-4828-0-31853100-1502912100_thumb.jpg

I also have prepped and painted under the front wheel arches to tidy it up a bit, here one is with the strut built back up in it, ive still got to paint up the arb, it's having caliper spacers and 2.8i discs thats why I havnt painted the caliper yet or put new disks on (im also replacing all the pipes while im at it and fit the 2.0 servo and landrover master cylinder I have)

post-4828-0-94282000-1502912226_thumb.jpg

Back on its wheels this is the arch gap im left with

post-4828-0-18989500-1502912436_thumb.jpg

They aren't the wheels that are staying on

I have done more than i can remember to tell everyone about, all the welding at the front is complete and the only welding left to do is the rear panel when I buy one, but im going to focus on the engine conversion next.

Looks great so far, the arches look nice and tidy.

It's amazing how short those new springs look when there's no weight on them! Hard to believe it's only a 2'' drop the difference.

I suppose the difference of length is made up by being a higher pound rating so they compress less

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a while on this unfortunately it took the back burner while I was welding mrs fps rs turbo up, now the weather is turning crap for welding and that's under cover im going to try and focus on getting the engine in this

Since I last updated ive decided to go carbs, so got a bogg bros manifold with a correctly jetted set of zx9r carbs, fuel pump and pressure regulator and the all important ignition controller, I went for the nodiz unit which comes with a terminated loom for the XE

Look how small the unit is, it will be easy to hide

post-4828-0-75980700-1540717808_thumb.jpgpost-4828-0-77128900-1540717831_thumb.jpg

I had an hour or so to spare earlier so hoovered the crap I could access in the engine bay, re ran the wiring to the headlights etc, checked and changed wiring earths that looked suspect, also as a funny gift the in laws got me some Dixie horns so I fitted these for a laugh as well, found a little problem with plug for the passengers headlights and the indicators while I was there they had corrosion but that's where I left it today as the dark was coming in and it was blooming cold, next time I'm going to give them a few hours in white vinegar then contact clean them to see how it goes before I replace them

Well A couple of hours spare earlier, the vinegar bath on the headlight connectors did the job, after I washed it off and dried I gave the connections a thorough clean with electrical contact cleaner to make sure they were spotless, I also had to clean the stalks as main beam was working on the flash but not on the click forward position, I now have a full compliment of lights

post-4828-0-62218600-1541530454_thumb.jpg

Also I got around to replacing the tca to crossmember bolts as one of them was worse for wear, I also wired up the replacement electric aerial I've fitted, I also replaced the CD player for a tape player.

I'm trying to chip away at the little jobs while im waiting for a few bits

Another couple of hours spare and another job ticked off unfortunately no pictures because im pants, today I have had the interior in bits to run the wires for an electric fuel pump, to the relay and mount it under the dash, the live feed is now in the boot ready to be plugged into the pump, i then put the interior back together, also thought about the position for the pump, im thinking of putting in the boot under the false floor on the passengers side, it just seems a safer place to pop the pump rather than have it sitting under the car due to their being no decent places which aren't too close to the exhaust or the axle, I've just got to get some fuel hose, gromets and a step drill to make the holes for the hose then I can put the pump in

A couple of hours to spare this morning and the fuel pump is now mounted, i soldered wires to the pump wiring to extend, heat shrinked and wrapped the wires, then found a suitable space to mount it under the car where it's partially covered by the fuel tank so it's up out of the way nice and safe, i ran the wires through the gromit for the fuel sender wiring so it's nice and neat, it was a pain to get the cordless drill in so ran a small pilot up then ran the correct size drill from inside the car to make life easier, that's as far as I got because it was blooming freezing and I had to go out

Today I have painted up the replacement 2.0 servo and landrover master cylinder and got some replacement headlights as mine are looking worse for wear

E30 outers with brand new inners, all adjusters are free and the backing plates look decent

20181124-193538.jpg

I'm going to have to reign myself in a bit, I'm modifying the engine and I havnt even got it in yet, I've just picked up a ported head with everything to build it up

20181125-163811.jpg

20181125-162835.jpg

20181125-163828.jpg

New valves and guides but did come with the old valves as well

20181125-163235.jpg

I didn't bother to take a picture of the box of valve springs, collects etc

• 2 weeks later...

Well bugger me it stopped raining this afternoon, so I ran out as quick as I could before the weather had chance to change its mind, I did my best contortionist impression lying in the footwell and removed the old servo and master cylinder, fitted the replacement 2.0 servo and land rover master, found a suitable spot on the inner wing for the t piece, ran new solid pipes to the t piece and from the t piece to the drivers side flexi, replaced the flexi, the old one decided that it didn't want me to undo the locknut on the inner wing so out came the grinder, it soon gave in, i made up a new solid pipe to the caliper while i was there and that was it for today as I lost light and realised I didn't have enough brake pipe to do the long run to the passengers flexi. I'll get some pictures next time I'm out

I picked up some brake pipe and while it wasn't raining this afternoon I decided to do the drivers side pipe replacement, in typical fashion the lock nuts on the flexi fought me, one of the nuts had virtually no thread left in it so I scrabbled around in my old nuts and bolts to see if I had one, but no joy, that's when I spotted it a lonely ball joint castle nut I saved because it might come in useful, It blooming did, I cut it down to height with a 1mm cutting disk, it well and truly saved my bacon, proceeded to bleed the brakes up with the help of Mrs fp and an eezibleed, in typical fashion I finished as it was raining and light had gone, mrs fp took a picture but I will get some more pictures

Mind the dirt in the bay I'm not cleaning it until the engines out

post-4828-0-65687300-1544380302_thumb.jpg

After the pic was taken I sorted out the servo vac pipe etc

• 4 weeks later...

I've been chipping away at the little jobs on this, I replaced the used landrover master with a new one as the pedal was losing pressure gradually, because I had a couple of hours dry weather this afternoon i fitted a replacement steering link that had had a landrover polybush fitted to it and while the rack was off i centred it as I took for granted that the reconditioned steering rack that was fitted to the donor that i broke and swapped over to this complete with the engine crossmember was fitted and tracked correctly, guess what....... It wasn't and it bugged me as the steering wasn't a mirror image at the finish point as you went from lock to lock I set the tracking up quickly by eye so the wheels are straight until I get it done properly

post-4828-0-42379200-1546795317_thumb.jpg