2006 Mondeo Estate (sold)

Jim Bell

The funny thing with these is fundamentally they are fantastic cars, lovely things to drive, typical quality ford handling etc and to a decent extent they resolved a lot of the rust issues associated with previous models but a quick glance through your very comprehensive service history shows in about 10k miles he replaced starter, egr valve, numerous service items, I think a few other bits as well which goes to show even if their working great a big bill could be literally just waiting round the corner to snare you in!!

However same can be said for almost all modern cars so by that logic this post is in fact, completely pointless apart from this next sentence.

Well bought.

All very true. Supose the best you can do is buy as well as you can and accept what comes. Which is good advice for any car really.

Bet he scribbled that history down last night,swapping pens every now and then.....

..... we had a 'pool car' at my job (CDi Carlton pezz) and we were far from head office. Car was used a lot by me at weekends and fuelled on Co. Card.

Project Director gets a note from head office 'we want to see mileage schedule for pool car' OK?

There never had been one - "quick [he said] get one made out for last year... Better use different colour pens!"

Will NEVER forget that line..... ;)

TS

Well that mpg read out has surprised me. My dad had a 130tdci with some paperwork for a remap of some description and that was lucky to exceed 42mpg. They are nice motors though.

First full tank returned 47.1 mpg but I was booting it and running high on the cruise.

This tank I'm nursing it more and its had a service. If its still above 50mpg by the end of the tank Ill be happy.

4 Pillock.

Answers.

ACROSS

Sechsundfunfzig

Fifty Six  (plate)

undertake course of exercise
Train

Foot part drinking house

Tow Bar

Deaf eared material

Cloth

Tennis kick off of the past

Service History

'matic crap

Auto Shite

Two part sacrament

Dual Mass

Chinese correction

Collection

Lords Manor

Estate

DOWN

closely compacted

Dents

Pair of 1000ml
Two Litre

Raunchy banger track

Blue Oval

Pinch the rims

Steel Wheels

Becomes weary

Tyres

The rock of Staffordshire

Stone

Boost Stockings

Turbo Hose

Racing Belgian build town.

Genk

• 4 months later...

Well, this thread has been silent as the car has just been a car. The battery failed so I bought a new one.

Cant really grumble about consumables, it had done ok getting 115k on the original imo.

Its been earning its keep with runs to the tip/ikea, been a taxi for the dog, as any long car should.

post-5435-0-42507100-1505823817_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-74839500-1505823880_thumb.jpg

The only money Ive spent on it bar service bits and a battery was for a cargo net to save the shopping rolling about.

post-5435-0-57565900-1505823929_thumb.jpg

It was up for MOT today and I've NEVER had a straight pass on any car so figured it would want a ball joint, wheel bearing or something.

post-5435-0-26798500-1505824101_thumb.jpg

Dropped it off at local enthusiast independant and got a couple of hundred out of the hole in the wall to be on the safe side.

News just in:

First ever pass for me! The car has never failed a test judging by the online history checker though.

post-5435-0-19584600-1505824270_thumb.png

Verdict: if you want a car thatll be no bother for 6 months, spend over the odds on a well kept mk3 Mondeo.

Its averaging 45mpg local and the air con is still blowing cold.

Couldnt ask for more.

I think theyre original man. Unless they were replaced pre-former owner and unrecorded. Are they not £100 each ish recon? Tbh I wouldnt mind paying out about that if and when they do go. Everthing else eye watering has been done.

I've been quoted £150 for 4 recons, Problem is 4th gear is grinding like buggery too - so gearbox on way out? Engages fine but grinds as it goes into 4th. So getting injectors replaced would be costly if gearbox also needed replacing.

Good engine though, plenty of torque - watch for the pipe from EGR to Intercooler. If one day yours is running as flat as a fart it will be that that pipe will have split. Common issue

There's no set timescale for the injectors to begin to fail though 100-130k seems quite usual. They have so many cycles that they are built to cope with, once wear becomes apparent, they start to need recoding to recalibrate the tolerances if you like. Once you get to this stage replacement is on the cards, though stuff like the pump will have a factor on injector life as well, when this fucks up it will take the injectors with it. You can fit some used injectors if you have access to Forscan but the potential for future trouble is quite high.

This is assuming you aren't suffering trouble with the variable vane turbo, which effectively bakes crap on to the vanes until they stick, that or the stepper motor in the Turbo actuator doesn't seize due to the heat.

My advice with Mondeo diesels, as with any is don't get attached or tempted to throw cash at it.

There's no set timescale for the injectors to begin to fail though 100-130k seems quite usual. They have so many cycles that they are built to cope with, once wear becomes apparent, they start to need recoding to recalibrate the tolerances if you like. Once you get to this stage replacement is on the cards, though stuff like the pump will have a factor on injector life as well, when this fucks up it will take the injectors with it. You can fit some used injectors if you have access to Forscan but the potential for future trouble is quite high.

This is assuming you aren't suffering trouble with the variable vane turbo, which effectively bakes crap on to the vanes until they stick, that or the stepper motor in the Turbo actuator doesn't seize due to the heat.

My advice with Mondeo diesels, as with any is don't get attached or tempted to throw cash at it.

Agree completely, I say 70k as I have known more than 1 develop slight little niggles relating to injectors around this time frame. My turbo seems ok, put it this way there's certainly plenty of power when you put your foot down. Actuator seems fine also when you turn engine off disengages if u like, the biggest gripe about my Mondeo and it really irks me, is if your sat at any speed I can only describe as what feels like a 'misfire' occurs goes as soon as you put foot back on the gas but cruising foot still job its noticeable but only just and annoys the hell out of me. Presuming this is going hand in hand with the injector problem it has.

If caught in time you can prevent the actuator problem by regular excercising of the arm and lubricating it. Swapping one isn't for the faint hearted it's calibrated to the turbo. A lot just disconnect the arm when it starts to give trouble, fooling the actuator into thinking it's opened up. There's a whole array of turbo cleaners you can buy but it's nigh on impossible for them to clean the variable vanes. It's Mr Muscle you want to do that job. I've said it before 160-180k isn't a bad mileage to get one, usually on second injectors and probably 2nd/3rd DMF. Mine was SMF converted so ran a bit unevenly at idle anyway.

What make filters are you using? A long shot but cheap filters can cause a lot of trouble, you want either Delphi or Bosch.

In short they are like any car, look on any forum and you’ll find listed many inherent faults on the associated vectras / avensis’s / Saab’s, whatever basically.

The tdci mondeo has got the same reputation for injectors as rovers did with the k series head gaskets, in reality has everyone on here who had / has a rover suffered hgf?

Like anything you can have lemons, but mine was a 1 owner car and I’ve covered over 130k in mine, I’m struggling to think what is better suited to what I need.

Steve