Donations button poll

daveb47

Donate button or not  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Donate button on here

• Yes
    • No

Why not just have a membership fee of £2.00 a year or something. The rover 75 forum is £10.00 a year for members. You can go on it for free but members have access to the for sale section and stuff. If the forum "belongs " to the members then whoever administers and maintains it should be paid. How much to be decided. If it's a private concern then it's non of our business who gets what. So if has members we are happy with Dave doing what he does ,very well for me thank you. Then we should have a total cost of running the forum and then decide how to fund it. Membership with a bigger members section. Or membership to post topics. But for me anybody doing the work should be paid.

Autoshite is only site on the dedicated server.

Server costs about 55.00,cpanel about £40.

Software licence is £45 pound every six months,Other paid software about £25 for 3 months.

Ipb licence costs 150 fror initial purchase,plus extras.

All plus Vat

Thats the monthly costs except for various Paid subscription plugins & apps.

Autoshite is only site on the dedicated server.

Server costs about 55.00,cpanel about £40.

Software licence is £45 pound every six months,Other paid software about £25 for 3 months.

Ipb licence costs 150 fror initial purchase,plus extras.

All plus Vat

Thats the monthly costs except for various Paid subscription plugins & apps.

Disclosure is good. Disclosure is great. Appreciated. Thank you. 

Seems dear for the amount of breakages we get. 

You say 'about' for the server, cpanel and paid software. Does it vary incrementally a month or something? 

For the love of all things holy, will you just give it a rest?

What, when I've finally got an answer to how much things cost to run? 

Dunno, I'm secular.

I would like to understand more about how much AS stands Mike; now I have a better idea. 

You can't put a question like that out there given recent events and expect it to be sunshine and roses.

Who were you originally? Your forum name doesn't ring a bell. 

TBH, I take the view that if I'm donating to a forum, I put in what I feel it's worth to me. If the people who are putting in the time an effort to keep it running are making a vast profit from it (but I doubt it), then so be it, so long as I'm getting value for money.

Seeing as the poll is currently 44 for donations to 3 against I suggest the button goes back.

If you want to donate great, if you think Dave is living in Barbados and only spending 5p on the forum then don't.

It sounds like Dave/the admins/Electric Leyland have the keys to the forum as required so hopefully the future is secure.

I think I'd pay monthly if we jettisoned a couple of moaners, tbh.

Genuinely, sorry if that's me. There's some really good fun on here.

Perhaps I'm turning into Citizen Smith or whatever. It's not distrust of Dave, just confusion over the mystery.

Maybe £10 membership a year is a good idea... Names turn red when you pay but blue if you haven't. Inability to PM etc if you're not a member.

Maybe everyone would feel even happier then? Who knows.

I think it's testament to the place that everyone feels like they own a bit of AS. Why not follow the John Lewis model? I'd like that... Partner.

Maybe £10 membership a year is a good idea... Names turn red when you pay but blue if you haven't. Inability to PM etc if you're not a member.

No. It is not a club.

If it were a club or other such organisation, I'd expect to see the books to see what I'm getting for my subs.

As it is, I understand why people chose to/chose not to donate under the current set up. I'm happy to do so freely as are others. Let them do so.

I can see where peeps are coming from re running costs, and how much the site rakes in, or does not rake in. I ain't bothered if your a zillionaire. Yeah the site goes down every now and then, but I don't have a clue about computers so wouldn't know where to start.

However I did donate via paypal when I sold my motor the other day and I used to randomly send a few quid, just because sometimes I can while a way a good couple of hours laughing at threads, or get great answers to pretty much any question. The enjoyment factor I get from this site is well worth a few quid. 

Keep the Donate button.

Keep up the good work Dave aka Mike aka El Chapo aka Mandingo aka Peter Parker.

I think it's testament to the place that everyone feels like they own a bit of AS. Why not follow the John Lewis model? I'd like that... Partner.

Your sentiment is admirable, but genuinely I don't feel that I own even a tiny part of AS. I just contributed some money today which would cover my proportion of the running costs for several years, but I may stick around, I may not. If I disappear I'd not expect a penny back.

It's pretty obvious to me that the site is run by Dave/Mike because it's something he enjoys going. It's important to him because he likes old cars and enjoys computers and running a website. He doesn't have to do it and there's provably times, like in the last week, when he probably wished he didn't. Those members demanding transparency are getting a bit above their station. You have no right to 'demand' this. Just give the bloke a break. There are plenty of people on here who will happily donate to keep things ticking along.

Is it not still Electric Leylands forum and DavenotDave stepped in to offer to help as we was having problems with spammers and hackers and Siestalad or whatever his name was, was too busy sunning himself up in Spain to give his full time attention?.

My only real gripe is does the forum need as many updates and "fiddling" all the time? We seem to have a lot of problems from things being updated all time that i never see happen on other forums.

Dear Autoshite,

I do not have a problem with a "doughnut button" having no caveats ( a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations)

If I want to donate under these conditions  I do but if I do not want to donate under these conditions I don't. 

Regards,

Raúl Castro

Happy here to donate, happy with the set up.

I wouldn't be happy to pay a membership, subscription or whatever else, or have committees and endless squabbles.

Would be happy to see the ban hammer used on Mr show us the books etc, why they have such a fetish about this who knows?

Perhaps they is a failed accountant?

All this shit is spoiling what used to be a fun place to visit.

If you want to donate great, if you think Dave is living in Barbados and only spending 5p on the forum then don't.

Does it help at all that I read that as notDave is living in Barnardos?

Tbh I'm a housewife so can only donate moaning, sarcasm and an unending stream of pointless crap.

Would I donate if I could, yes, as as the same as others have said I get so much from this place it's worth it no matter what.

Do I worry we might loose it if only one person has the keys, yes, but it looks like they don't.

I honestly don't understand the running costs, issues and other stuff that's been happening but at the end of the day I can't run this place as I know sod all but I do appreciate the work and donations of all those that can and I hope they keep on doing it.

Long live the donate button!

If there's any money left over at the end of the month I hope notdave spends it a big fat whore or something else equally as useful!