Cat C impact on value.

Bobthebeard

Just a rhetorical question really, as am not intending to sell, but am curious as never been in this situation.

My MG ZT KV6 was declared a Cat C write off a couple of years ago, before my ownership so have no idea what and why. ( I knew about it before I bought it BTW) Appears to have had a replacement boot lid and rear bumper (breakers yard tippex model designation scrawl on inside of both) but you would never know otherwise. Have had rear bumper off and no sign of any structural damage whatsoever. Looks original apart from the tippex!

I have restored* the car completely, (unrelated) with replacement rear suspension arms, new springs and bushes, replaced the timing belts, water pump etc blah blah. Loads done to a high standard. Not that that affects the value given the Cat C status but it is now a lovely looking and reliable car. Blether aside, how damaging to the future value of the car is the Cat C status? Not selling but wondering like...

It really is a nonsense that an Insurer led scheme was adopted by the government and now the government have dropped the VIC scheme because there were so few failures.  (Not because there were so few dodgy cars out there, just the bad ones weren't presented and the best fakes still passed).

The legacy is that those in the know will just check the condition for themselves and knock 30-40% off and hope they get it, the vast majority of potential buyers just won't call because they, "just" saw Ester Rantzen or the AA on telly warning them about the slavering crooks trying to hoodwink the honest public with their cut and shuts. 

http://autoshite.com/topic/23901-2014-14-plate-vauxhall-adam-12-i-vvt-16v-jam-3dr-only-5200-miles-was-told-it-may-get-some-love-on-here-cat-d-repaired-%C2%A34950/

Cat D and it was awkward to sell. The buyer recokoned her insurance needed it to have an MOT, so I had one done, and she paid for some fancy AA check.

As said, it is a load of shit and being 'on the list' affects the value of most stuff less and less, as it ages.

I have seen cat D Fiat 500's that needed a replacement bonnet, bumper and headlight after a minor frontal. Hard to believe the insurers wouldn't bother fixing (the bits all being available for about £400 off the bay) but I suppose it comes down to the paint costs.

My Seat wing replacement cost me £70 and three hours to do. Body shop wanted £700, majority of which was paint prep so it's the cosmetics to get it all A1 which really cost the money

Guest Lord Sward

An insurance company must also take into account the cost of the courtesy car when deciding if to write a car off.

As a Trader, I'd half the book price when taking a Cat C/D car in part ex.  

I wouldn't touch a common new car, but an older one/ something rare wouldn't bother me. My Dolomite was a cat D or 'declared beyond economic repair' or whatever they call it on the V5. I still got an agreed value on it and had plenty of interest when I sold it. I would buy another tomorrow without a second thought.

If a car gets a cat marker on it when it's over 10 years old then it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

My friends Bini Cooper was a cat C and was put on the car at 11 years old and I've been over that car with a fine tooth comb and the only damage it's had is to the bonnet clam at some point as I think it's had some paint on that area so when it was repaired I guess someone just bolted a secondhand one on the car and away it went.

Also My fathers old 2003 Volvo also got written off at 11 years old and I kid you not but taking the bumper off and realignment plus a quick polish and it would of been as good as new so I think insurance companies these days rather just pay out on most older cars under 3 grand than going through the hassle of hire cars and paperwork.