Help needed,now all sorted

daveb47

In view of the recent flak re server etc,i have stopped taking Donations.

Also i need someone to download daily backups from a set download,no skill needed.

Must have fairly fast internet & a fair bit of storage as they are 32 gb plus each,need to be able to store 7 days at 1 per day.

Any volunteers

Obviously needs to be established & trusted member.

I'm sure anyone who has donated before will still have Dave's email details in their PayPal account if they wish to continue to donate. If not, do you accept green shield stamps?!

Can't help on the internet front, connection not good enough.

Now this is where I get my shit stirrer hat on.

Last week there were quite a few people (I don't know who) spouting a load of really technical crap about computers and Internet stuff and how they knew exactly what to do with making everything run amazing. Some comments positive, some negative on how DavenotDave runs this place.

So now, when help is asked for there's eight replies, two are jokes, where's all the replies of 'I'll do this that and the other for you' that were being banded around?

I was thinking about this but did wonder how it might affect one's download limit with their ISP; I know most have unlimited broadband these days but they do have 'fair usage' conditions, and I wonder how that would sit with downloading nearly a terabyte a month.  Or am I off the pace here?

I have very limited skills with all things computer, but am happy to help if I can. Am disappointed with some of the flak aimed at Daveb47 recently. It was surprising to say the least. He has done a great job (as a volunteer) in keeping this place alive. We should be grateful, not grumping and critical like some have been recently.

Anyhoo, donations or whatever is needed, I will help if I can. Personally I would like to see Dave continue as is, but if he feels snubbed/annoyed/rejected by recent events then we need to rally round, support and assist him if necessary surely?

I've got 60Mb/s down, no limits, and a permanently connected NAS with 500GB free that can Cron stuff overnight. If that runs out I've got two USB ports on the router and a spare 1TB drive, router has full shell access.

Let me know!

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

I've got 60Mb/s down, no limits, and a permanently connected NAS with 500GB free that can Cron stuff overnight. If that runs out I've got two USB ports on the router and a spare 1TB drive, router has full shell access.

Let me know!

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

There we go. Sensible, helpful and sincere. What this place is (and should continue to be) all about!

Only problem i have found so far is that every backup download is a diferent link,cant think of any way to automate that.

Only way is for me to pm link to whoever is doing this,it will be a direct link in the browser.

Alternatively if anyone has an ftp server i can send it direct to that.

Guest Breadvan72

I have very limited skills with all things computer, but am happy to help if I can. Am disappointed with some of the flak aimed at Daveb47 recently. It was surprising to say the least. He has done a great job (as a volunteer) in keeping this place alive. We should be grateful, not grumping and critical like some have been recently.

Anyhoo, donations or whatever is needed, I will help if I can. Personally I would like to see Dave continue as is, but if he feels snubbed/annoyed/rejected by recent events then we need to rally round, support and assist him if necessary surely?

If you look at the so called flak, most of it was in fact people rallying round, supporting and assisting, or at least trying to.  They were told to get fucked/mind their own business.   We were all told that if anyone other than Dave so much as looked at a picture of the server on the internet, it would immediately implode, and destroy the entire Multiverse.  We were told that no help was required, thanks, and can we all please go and fuck ourselves and how dare you even mention that the forum keeps breaking.  We are still being told this.   Oh, apart from all the threads asking for help, or money, or whatever . 

If you look at the so called flak, most of it was in fact people rallying round, supporting and assisting, or at least trying to.  They were told to get fucked/mind their own business.   We were all told that if anyone other than Dave so much as looked at a picture of the server on the internet, it would immediately implode, and destroy the entire Multiverse.  We were told that no help was required, thanks, and can we all please go and fuck ourselves and how dare you even mention that the forum keeps breaking.  We are still being told this.   Oh, apart from all the threads asking for help, or money, or whatever .

Oh... That's me told then..

I don't often get involved with arguments on here but think that you are making too much of this TBH. Does any of the above matter? So what. Dave (Mike) does what he does for the love of it and personally I am happy with that. I donate as and when I can. You can do likewise of course, but bleating about it doesn't really contribute much. Just enjoy the best old car forum on the web.

HAs anyone any objections to cobblers retaing backups on his server

I assume we're talking about FTPS or SFTP rather than a plain, unencrypted FTP link?

I've heard good things about rsync.net from friends. You pay per GB storage, and it'll auto daily snapshot it.

Also Hetzner have some reasonably priced services (their "storage boxes") and had good experience with them too - https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produktmatrix/storagebox-produktmatrix

Only problem i have found so far is that every backup download is a diferent link,cant think of any way to automate that.

Only way is for me to pm link to whoever is doing this,it will be a direct link in the browser.

Alternatively if anyone has an ftp server i can send it direct to that.

Where are you generating the backups from? I guess from CPanel or similar?

If the data is stored all MySQL, you could have a simple Bash/Python/Rust/[whatever script flavour your like] to dump the data out and send that across the wire. Alternatively, if you rather export it from CPanel/similar, that link can be grabbed with a script too.

If you need any hand putting together something to do such a thing, feel free to give me a message. As a software dev that has worked on all sorts of platforms including cloud services, its something that I've dealt with before.

Guest Breadvan72

Oh... That's me told then..

I don't often get involved with arguments on here but think that you are making too much of this TBH. Does any of the above matter? So what. Dave (Mike) does what he does for the love of it and personally I am happy with that. I donate as and when I can. You can do likewise of course, but bleating about it doesn't really contribute much. Just enjoy the best old car forum on the web.

I do enjoy it.  Very much.  I want to continue to do so.  I have lobbed a few quid in, in the past.  I don't want to miss out on reading about appalling Renaults because some teenage spam bot has temporarily defeated the Jedi skills of Dave, or because Dave has got the flu, or because Dave gets a strop on when someone asks politely if he wants a hand, or asks if he has enough money to do the stuff he needs to do. 

I do enjoy it.  Very much.  I want to continue to do so.  I have lobbed a few quid in, in the past.  I don't want to miss out on reading about appalling Renaults because some teenage spam bot has temporarily defeated the Jedi skills of Dave, or because Dave has got the flu, or because Dave gets a strop on when someone asks politely if he wants a hand, or asks if he has enough money to do the stuff he needs to do. 

There's our difference - having owned a terrifyingly shit (not shite) Renault in the past I have no desire to ever experience one again, even vicariously through the misery of a fellow Autoshitiste.

Fair comment...

I have never met Dave, nor do I know anything about him. He enables this place and that is fine by me. I spend a lot of time on here and it is a support system really, long may it continue to be so.