Tell me about Mercedes C250?

oman5

I'm wondering what I would replace my ovlov 940 with, the 95-2000 Mercedes c250 turbo diesel seems like a lot of car for the money, are they worth bothering with? I know they have rapid dissolving wings and tailgates...but of primary concern is that I can service it once a year and otherwise not have to piss about fixing stuff that's dropped off.

It's either one of these or a D5 Volvo v70.

All opinions welcome!

I'd love one. They don't come up too often because they're reliable old things so people run them forever. (most being driven to the scrap yard under their own steam when the rust finally finishes them.)

I prefer the very early cars with the gingercators personally. Oh, and MB 5 speed boxes aren't the last word in refinement. (!)

Buy the best there is or go for the cheapest, scruffiest example. Complex fuel delivery system, even though still IDI, can cost to sort out properly. Check it starts after being stood overnight without any excess cranking.

A V70 probably makes more sense, but values reflect this.

But in a world full of front wheel drive, a driven back axle, when done well, is an underestimated luxury.

Good motors, I had one for a while when I was doing a few extra miles. Comfy all round cruiser and with 150hp they're not too slow. Try and find one that's not too crusty and go for it.

I found one that was mega cheap because it had an issue with the gearbox, I took a punt that it just needed an oil and filter change and luckily enough I was right although the correct MB oil ain't cheap, circa £75 for both at the time.