BMW E28, fucked, what happens now?

nisfan

So it was nearing the end of my work and this happened,

17523148_826341987517220_790529200510653

17757340_826341990850553_377263671906151

The corsa was coming in for the nighshift, went up the verge and ploughed into the BMW and damaging 4 cars.

I think its a write off, the boot floor is bent where the fuel filler is.

The corsa wanker said he passed out but i think its BS.

Ive had to leave the car and get a lift home, not sure if my insurance company will arrange to pick it up as it didnt feel right when i test drove it,

Fucking gutted

That's a grim photo. Sorry to hear the twat in the Corsa did the damage. The gap between the rear quarter and the back door looks like it's opened up as well - he must have belted it a good' un.

I'd have thought boot floor and rear quarter would pull out with a dozer; I guess the real issue is whether the rear axle/mountings are screwed.

Isn't it worth asking him to pay the repair cost, rather than the inevitable insurance take it away and try and offer you 10p? Looked a proper stunner as well :/

Bummer. Probably a write off unless agreed value for a quite a few grand. Insurance should sort it all out for you by collecting etc. Non fault claim though and you theoretically don't need to go through your own insurers but just contact the idiot corsa driver's.

A good bodyshop could push that out and repair it! Go directly to his insurance company with estimates and your be surprised how easily they will handle the claim, they don't want to pay any additional costs!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

...adn dont let it out of your sight unless you are prepared for it to go to upullit etc

THIS! Either leave it where it is, or get it transported to somewhere you can keep it off the road. It needs assessing, and the assessor should come to the car. The minute the car gets taken somewhere, the Junkman Prophecy awaits. I hope it can be repaired.

That really is a bloody shame.   I can't bear to see this happen to a car like that.   My E21 had a similar OSR smack but from the back, believe it or not it pulled out pretty well, left a wrinkle or two in the boot floor but still very presentable and useable.    Like TerryWogan says, though, I would be worried about suspension damage, modern shite does pack a fair old punch.   Bloke's a prick if he plays the passing-out card, though.   

Before telling insurance, doovla or plod about him blacking out I would make sure to drill into Corsa boys head that sticking to has blacking out story will mean no license for him, might change his tune if he was telling fibs while caught up in the moment. It wont magically fix the car but I'd say it's the right thing to do.

Ouch, hate seeing a proper decent car get twatted like that, poor bloody Corsa.

Sorry to see what's happened there, Nisfan. It looks pretty bad but hopefully it could be pulled out or something. The twat in the Corsa must have been motoring a  bit, the 'blacking out' thing is probably bollocks. Hope you get a happy ending to this, it's sickening to see the picture :(

Agree with the chaps, hang on to the car if you want it and manage your claim on the other drivers insurance. We had someone hit our car when parked and ins co busted a gut to collect it. I told them to FRO and managed my own claim by getting estimates from body shops of my choosing. Insurance, they settled direct with me by cheque and I kept the car. I then repaired it with a second hand wing and bumper in correct colour. Yours is not such an easy repair but I've seen worse repaired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay.

First things first.

DO NOT let anyone from the insurance co. take the car away. JUST SAY NO.

If you feel okay driving it, take it to a couple of bodyshops including a BMW dealer. That will be a 3-4000 repair. It will get written off. I hope to Christ you have agreed value classic insurance. If you have, that's a £3500 payout and you keep the salvage for 300 quid or so.

If not, you'll get 500 quid and a sharp lesson in why you should have had agreed value classic car insurance.

After the estimate, an assessor will possibly come out to you to inspect the car.

Your car is unroadworthy so you want a hire car ASAP from the insurance company. It's clearly Corsatwats fault so his ins.co will be bending over for the soap in the prison showers for that.

If Corsatwat plays ball, this should be wrapped up in 4-6 weeks, you tool about ion a nice shiny modern and you get a fuckton of cash to sort the E28 and hire some stunning Polish prostitutes, Win - Win.

Your car may be a Cat C but you don't have the arseache of getting it VIC'd now.

Very sorry to see this. Some good advice above.

Having been on the receiving end of something similar I would agree about making sure you retain the car, even if it ends up being broken you know about all the good stuff that's on there. Hopefully you can just put it to one side, accumulate the parts required and get it mended one day like I'm eventually doing.

The other party's insurer will provide a courtesy car via Enterprise or the like, if you want to be awkward insist on getting something more than the miserable pile they'll initially try and fob you off with.

I ended up getting the payout in less than two weeks, and that was with Christmas in the middle. I imagine it'll take longer if you struggle to reach agreement on value

Have a look at station's rx7 crashing thread to see what can be repaired. Does the rear wheel look like it's moved? Like like the impact may have just missed it. They lean on at the top a fair bit by design but but should be mostly straight along the car's length.

I'd probably grass-up the Corsa driver for the blacking out thing, tbh.....

Guest Breadvan72

Nisfan, I'm ashamed to say I work in insurance for a living but proud to say I like keeping old cars alive! If you want me to have a chat on the phone I am happy to explain your options.... Don't let that car out your sight if you want to keep it!

Props to you for this, and please don't be ashamed of your job!  I don't join in the ORL INSURENCE CUMPNEEZ IZ WANKRS mantra.

If the Corsa driver is the Barry that we infer that he may be, then query whether he will give a toss about driving while banned, but hey ho.   

I'm not ashamed of my job, but I do have a sense of humour......nor am I here to constantly try and bombard people to get their business.

I am however, sat at home doing my hobby, which at the moment is trying to press a bearing out of a Rover V8 belt tensioner..... And I'm losing!