car stereo upgrade - pioneer, kenwood.....?

tapir

Looking to upgrade car stereo for DAB and bluetooth. No need for CD so looking at mechless headunits. 

Currently looking at:

Pioneer MVH-X580DAB Car Stereo Â£107 (halfords)

Kenwood KMM-BT502DAB Â£98.52 (caraudiocentre)

Alpine UTE-93DAB Â£152.52 (caraudiocentre)

Any opinions as to best brand/model to go for?

Don't really want to spend more than £150 (got speakers to do as well)

Cheers,

You must get a proper digital as well. About £20.

Got DAB in the rover with a proper aerial but there is also one in MG I recently bought.

It's like chalk and cheese. The one I installed in the Rover is probably not as good a stereo as the one in the MG, but the stereo in the MG keeps dropping out as it's just got one of those windscreen aerials.

Both Pioneer and Alpine make really decent stereos, can't comment on Kenwood personally but I always was under the impression they were more of a budget brand whereas Pioneer and Alpine were the top quality ones, I think Alpine are (or were) more function over form and better sound quality while Pioneer were a bit flashier but slightly more fiddly to operate and sound quality was almost as good as the Alpine but not quite. Can't go wrong with either.

I think if it's amazing sound quality you want, Nakamichi were supposedly the absolute best aftermarket stereos.

Just don't buy a Sony, their tellies are good, their car stereos shite!

Well, sound reproduction on DAB is the last of your worries - unless you enjoy the BBC light programme. It's all heavily compressed MP2 audio, so fidelity isn't a concern here. Obviously it's more important if you're playing decent high quality MP3s over Bluetooth.

To be honest, you can't really go too far wrong. Just ffs buy a proper metal DAB aerial for outside the car, otherwise you'll find yourself deeply frustrated every time you go past...I don't know... A small bungalow.

Go have a play with them somewhere if possible. I'm in the car for 3 hours a day and the most frustrating thing can be navigating the various stations and bands, more than what it sounds like.

Good luck!

^^^what he said.

Ease of use and buttons that are not so small you need a pin to press them are my priority over brand name and sound when buying a stereo.

They are all much the same sound-wise especially when listening to music in mono at 4 bits per second or whatever they have squeezed DAB down to these days.

My experience of Sony dab is very poor.

The tin foil and sellotape shit aerial they supply picked up nothing at all.

A thru the glass window mount aerial just about gets talk sport and not much else.

Unless you spend as much on the aerial as you do on the head unit you will be disappointed.

Any of the three make good kit, I've had Kenwood stuff for over 20 years and never had a problem. They certainly aren't 'budget'! (Don't know where that came from).

As Bourne says, sound quality is a bit of a moot point on DAB as they've forced high compression rates on the stations outputs so to cram as many in to the available bandwidth as they can. People that have been into DAB from the start will be particularly vocal about this! 

The only thing I know about DAB reception is the advice I was given from several sources was to get a decent aerial. 

I'm a bit of a fussybollocks when it comes to audio, but will happily suffer DAB.

I know it can't even beat MP3 for actual fidelity (and the latter is banished from my music collection), but the choice of FM stations around here consists the BBC stations, Classic FM, FUCKING Heart FM and Dream 100 (which is fine in small doses but sounds very much like it alternates between the first and the latest NOW album).

BBC6 on DAB is an easy way for me to stay abreast of actual bands who produce actual music. And I've never had an issue on mobile reception using a Pure Freeway.

All modern kenwood food processors are shite, you need something from the 70s with proper metal gears.

Won't pick up DAB though...

Can you check what DAB reception is like in reality in your neck of the woods, I regularly find we have to suffer Radio1 or Kiss on FM on site as there is no DAB