My little Rover 620Ti projectL

trigger

the 197bhp was what the T-series "race" engines were producing.

these were intended to be used in an 820 coupe entered as a touring car. 

BUT the BMW takeover of Rover Group from BAe put an end to the program, and the race engines ended up in the press fleet cars.

in general use the T-16 turbo is closer to 150-odd bhp, but as the T was developed out of the B, it does have plenty of torque even at lower revs.

what ever the actual output, any T16 turbo is a fun, FUN car to hoon around in!

Really?

Never heard that before, and it sounds a bit fanciful. If the 8v O-Series Turbo engine in the Maestro was developing 152bhp, 200-ish from a 16v lump with multi-point injection sounds about right. At 150bhp the turbo would only be winning a dozen or so horses over the N/A engine.

197bhp in a massive Touring Car would have been pretty hopeless, too.

No idea?! I'm having a mare with the insurance for this, i want to keep insuring my Fiesta but i tried to add this as a temporary additional vehicle but they can only do that for 30 days and it's £55!.

If i take out a new policy I'll have to start with no no claims as they are being used on the Fiesta, it might be cheaper but there will be a £40-70 cancellation charge! I don't think i have much choice other than paying the £55 for 30 days and not being able to take it to Shitefest. :(

FJ wouldn't touch the 18 yo Pug floppy (I think that's underwritten by Ageas presently) but Lancaster and Adrian Flux would (underwritten by Zenith in both those cases). 

15-20 is limbo land and you're entirely at the mercy of the underwriting gods. It could be as low as 5 years old for something exotic.

How about giving Lancaster insurance a try as my father had trouble insuring his E36 cabriolet this year I think due to his and the cars age but he got it through them for £186 for the year.

That's one bloody lovely car though and the worst thing that could happen is that you will have to garage it for a bit as I would rather sell a kidney than sell a minty 620ti as it would be nigh impossible to find another as good as that. It really is a wolf in sheep clothing.

I'm off work tomorrow afternoon so I'll make some calls, I only wanted to insure it for a couple of months until after Shitefest and then i was going to sell it! I need to get it insured by Thursday so that i can MOT it.

I've done some online quotes as a new business meaning I'll have no one claims but 10+ years on another policy and the best quote so far has been £1000! £80 a month plus £164 first payment and a cancellation fee on top!

It seems some posts have disappeared of this thread, long and short of it is that i managed to get classic insurance through Peter Best at a ridiculous £310 a year with a 3000 mile limit. (Thanks to the thieving scum who took my Astra)

This did mean that i could drive it to the mot station though...

2abad5fdd541f9283712098f768b2108.jpg

Where i got handed this in return!.

f1bae28799f43452bbef845bf8f8141a.jpg

Result! I was a bit worried at first as the clutch slipped and the expansion bottle boiled up when i removed the cap but it seems that was because it's been overfilled although it does need a good flush as it's quite sludgy and rusty coloured.

4651c9c1b3c64761a70a25a52e2d6aa0.jpg

And now that I've done some more miles in it the clutch isn't slipping anymore so i think the clutch shaft lever was a bit stiff into the bellhousing and just needed using. The thrust bearing is a bit noisy though so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

It goes bloody well though, i gave it some beans chasing a work mate in a Audi A8 4.2 and i kept up with him until i chickened out! I must say it's a lovely thing to drive.

4bbed0716768c7a603c886f082c5ed38.jpg

Does this suffer from torque steer?

Not at all, it really lays the power down and points in the direction that you aim it, unlike the 420 GSi Turbo that i drove which just aimed you towards the nears front garden. These have a Torsen LSD fitted in the driveshaft or something which is meant to sort all that.

Not at all, it really lays the power down and points in the direction that you aim it, unlike the 420 GSi Turbo that i drove which just aimed you towards the nears front garden. These have a Torsen LSD fitted in the driveshaft or something which is meant to sort all that.

I think the R8 T series turbo cars used Torsen diffs as well but the 600 has proper Honda spec double wishbone front suspension which must help.

The insurance fuck off hassle meant I couldn't get one of these. They are lovely looking things.

You can get a classic policy on it. Ok it's limit mileage and you don't get no no claims but at your age and with a clean record the you'll probably pay £100-150 for the year to insurance it.