Cars that are £20/£30 a year to tax. Whats out there?

sutty2006

You can get petrols on £30 a year tax, but not anything older, back then it was all diesels that had the cheaper tax. I also don't see the point spending thousands on a new car to save £100 a year in tax, madness!! If you want a new car fair enough, but don't make cheap tax an excuse for buying it.

should this thread not be based on sub 100 quid tax. As other have said, there is lifetime cost of repairs and stuff.

I got this list of £30 tax from PH.:

audi a2 1.4 tdi
citroen c1 1.0
citroen c1 1.4 hdi
citroen C2 1.4 hdi
citroen c3 1.4 hdi
citroen xsara 1.4 hdi
diahatsu charade 1.0 efi
diahatsu sirion 1.0
fiat panda 1.3 16v multijet
fiat punto 1.3 16v multijet (auto available)
Ford Fiesta 1.8 TDdi
ford fiesta 1.4 tdci (auto available)
ford fusion 1.4 tdci (auto available)
honda civic ima executive
honda insight
hyundai getz 1.5 crtd
kia picanto 1.1
mazda2 1.4 td (auto available)
mercedes a160cdi
nissan micra 1.5

PUG 1071.4 hdi
peugeot 107 1.0 (auto available)
peugeot 206 1.4 hdi
peugeot 206 2.0 hdi
peugeot 206 sw 1.4 hdi
peugeot 307 1.4 hdi
renner1.5 dci
renault megane 1.5 dci
renault modus 1.5 dci
seat arosa 1.4 tdi
suzuki alto 1.1
smart roadster
suzuki alto 1.1
toyota aygo 1.0 (auto available)
toyota aygo 1.4 d4d (auto available)
toyota prius (cvt available)

toyota1.4 d-4d (auto available)
vauxhall astra ECO4 LS 1.7 DTi 5 Door Hatch
vauxhall corsa 1.0 Eco
vauxhall corsa 1.3 cdti
volkswagen lupo 1.4 tdi
volkswagen lupo 1.7 diesel

Polo 1.4 tdi

smart roadster

My Smart Roadster, nor any I know of, had £30 road tax. £110 p/a instead, so still pretty cheap. 1g/km over the threshold though which is annoying - surely they could have done a tad more work to get it under it!

A lot of the Smart ForTwo's are £30 p/a though.

Indefinitely, unless they just slowly increase by a fiver or whatever. However there will be limits, restrictions or charges in driving them to certain places - e.g. city centres, etc. That'll then limit their use.

Also tbf, being a modern diesel it's likely they'll mostly die off due to big bills pretty soon.

If you're concerned and upset about a rise of £22 or so in VED to a dizzy and even more rip-off than ever figure, don't begin to consider that you'll pay more in tax if you spend more than a heady £8 a week on petrol or diesel.

The thought of covering many miles in a common railer, just because of cheap road tax, seems to verge on playing into their tax-hungry hands unless you've a Yaris. I consider the feeling of tax-rape every year at the post office counter to be an entirely false one - intended to prevent the ownership of reliable, easy and inexpensive to repair common-sense motors which last almost indefinitely.

The more miserable the better?

Been looking at Fiesta and fusion 1.4/1.6 TDCi which are £30 a year to tax (probably gone up) but what else is available? Must be something affordable on a Shitters budget, and nothing electric/brand new...

Answers on a postcard!

If they paid you £30 a year to have a 1.6TDCi, you'd still lose out. 

Watch out, the Renault 1.5dcis have a spectacular habit of lunching their injector pumps, which leads swarf into the common rail and then into injectors killing all 4. This swarf then travels through the fuel return line on the top of the injectors back into the tank. The fuel is then sucked back up into the fuel filter catching it. Pretty comprehensive failure when it (inevitably) occurs.

Basically don't buy one cheap with a hard to start/start then dies/etc fault. It's a very common thing on these ages engines. Later uses of the engine (I think around 2006/07?) change the injection system.

TL;DR The Renner 1.5 dci implode themselves as Renault's only can.

Any older dizzler is going to be taxed (including low emissions charge schemes) into oblivion in the coming years, though could have a bit of a price leap when HM Gov does a diesel scrappage scheme in order to save the lungs of nuns.

I'd buy a petrol Honda in good nick. Insurance and repair costs likely to add up far more than the difference between £30 VED and £100 VED.

Any older dizzler is going to be taxed (including low emissions charge schemes) into oblivion in the coming years, though could have a bit of a price leap when HM Gov does a diesel scrappage scheme in order to save the lungs of nuns.

I'd buy a petrol Honda in good nick. Insurance and repair costs likely to add up far more than the difference between £30 VED and £100 VED.

Either that or the price of diesel will sky rocket.

Probably to pay for the scrapage scheme.

I wouldn't be spending much money on a diesel in the current climate (no environmental pun intended).

Been said but Daihatsu Charade or even a sirloin. Tiny, tinny and unrefined but will do 60mpg and 100mph and seat 4 adults pretty comfortably. I found ours hilarious fun and dared the little bastard to go wrong. It didn't, in spite of me taking it off road fairly often. The little 3 pot is head and shoulders above other small car engines for character, noise and usable power and isn't known for expensive issues like the small diesels mentioned.

I have no idea what things cost a year to tax anymore. All mine except for the modern Fiat 500, which I think is £30, are on finance.

It's like a PCP for tax, this is what goes out tomorrow, it's also reminded me I should tax the new Volvo, out of principle I won't tax any new car that was already taxed until the next month. I haven't come unstuck yet.post-17414-0-56786500-1491133277_thumb.png

Citroen C3 HDi were all £30 tax I believe, and the oldest is now 14 years old. Not the most durable car around though.

My dad traded his for a DS4 last August. It was £35 a year tax I think- his had 75000 on a 60 reg. only real problems were exhaust brackets, a stone through the condenser and a fuel leak. It was fine, but not exciting - I do like the new DS though.

I don't think the price of diesel will sky rocket, it impacts too many businesses. The impact will be it will be nigh on impossible to find a 'worth having' diesel for less than £4000, all the smoky rough running bags of shit will be left, the 80k one owner jobs will get crushed as they'll be part exed for new Stuff as they are likely to be owned by people in a position to afford a new car. I've a diesel, I'd doubt very much I'll find one worth having in six months time, so it'll be back to Petrol.

Taxis, buses and delivery vans must make up a good percentage of the pollution in cities but if it's £12 a day then it will make sense for them to pay up and continue polluting as usual.

Whereas a one trip in, one out shopper will instantly be put off and take away even more business from shops.

I saw a 2005 Suzuki Alto on the modern day equivalent of a bomb site used car pitch today, 78.000 miles, pretty well scratched and dented, fsh, 2 owners from new, £30 tax, 595 of your English pounds, Seriously considered the merits of same; must be as cheap as catching the bus these days surely; clicked my remote central locking fob; got back into my 2003 Civic, (£145 tax) stuck the aircon on max and thought Nah, (Alto of course has nothing comfort related apart from a seat to sit on) The reminder from the DVLA makes me miserable once a year, an extra £2 a week to have a few luxuries in a motor that I have true faith in is worth it to me.

ps stuck the Alto reg through confuse a meerkat whilst going to compare for a laugh and found that going from a 1.4 to a 0.99ish would save less than £20 a year, just doesn't seem worth it somehow.

Another vote for the 107/C1/Aygo trio.

Plus points:

- Don't rot

- early (cheaper) ones will have had undersized clutch replaced by now

- No cambelt

- quite nippy (up to ~70 anyway)

- parts are cheap, including tyres

- nice drive, chuckable like an original mini.

- 50+ MPG round town, less on the motorway (MPG takes a big dive cruising at 80+...)

- DIY friendly - ish.

Bad points

- 3 door front seats don't fold, you lose the adjustment setting.

- Boot is small.

- Seats not great for long journeys

- Can get noisy.

- Exhaust back boxes rot quickly

- Glass rear hatch, optional parcel shelf.