It's Saturday, it's 7.30am, it's time for...

cms206

Opel/Vauxhall were not that generous in the 90s when it comes to wheels made of light metal. And that shows really. None of that alloys look better than some cheap aftermarket stuff made in Bulgaria.

VAG did a lot better in that matter since the 80s already, not cheap by any means but they had really nice own-designed wheels like Montreal, Le Castellet, Avus, Silverstone and so on. And for upmarket models there were the BBS and (Audi) Ronal alloys available. Way ahead of Opel.

I was aware before collection that there were a couple of holes in the boot floor; Halfords even helpfully advised on it at the last MOT in October.

Investigations show... ahh yes. These holes.

My tame mechanic shall attend to those when has sobered up again.7c007f147bd6771fcd3e05e319061d3c.jpg1210963659bc818505e441c4770fdb81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That was a friendly Halfords chap with a pass and advise on that!

My rampantly alcoholic tame mechanic reckoned he "wouldn't have had the balls to present that for test".

Thankfully a good check underneath with a chapping stick has shown that other than the boot floor (caused by a mix of the nearside sunroof drain emptying into the boot and shit underseal) it's remarkably sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll change the title next time I'm on a computer, promise.

IN OTHER NEWS! Sheet metal was obtained in order to deal with the two fucking enormous holes in the boot floor and my tame mechanic plated it and schutzed it today.

I ordered new rubber fuel hose today to replace the rotten metal pipes today, when that comes we'll deal with the final plate required which is more or less on top of the fuel lines under the drivers seat. I hope it'll help cure the smell of petrol as well but we shall see.

Next on the agenda after that is a full service - plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor arm, the lot - rocker cover gasket (far too much oil in the engine but it's now thankfully stopped shitting it everywhere), the rear rubber brake pipes and a cambelt kit.

Still on the lookout for a decent front bumper, ideally in satin red metallic if anyone spies one...e42006c5f0f2a1b10302f6eadd2fbf3f.jpg827ced16385754efd68feb3dc9212ca0.jpg

Tonight at SVM HQ we did the fuel line replacment front to rear, the last of the welding on the drivers floorpan, schutzed the floorpan and the usual Cavalier grotspots.

I dropped my tame mechanic off to go get drunk(er).

I started to drive home, deciding on either a curry or a KFC for dinner. On a back street the car in front of me stopped to let some scouts cross the road. I also stopped.

The car behind me, however, did not.

I am in fucking agony.

Couldve been a lot worse Andy, think the towbar has saved further damage tbh. I often wonder if ive done the right thing removing mine, for that very reason. 

Damage to the Corsa will probably cost double what you paid for the Cavvy if thats any consolation. 

Hard to tell but those shut lines don't look great. Just a twisted bumper or something worse?

The boot shutlines are mostly okay actually, the offside tail light is a bit "in". Need to do more investigating but the boot floor and rear quarter panels are ok on first inspection.

Fucking muppet not watching where they were going, and tailgating, thank fuck for towbars, shame it didn't send a big steel spike straight through the Corseitsnot's radiator

I was stopped for a good maybe ten seconds before the screech of tyres was behind me... he managed to lock up a 66-plate Corsa in the dry.

Towbar bracket looks a bit bent

Just the bumper guard thankfully.

Oh bugger! Is it going through the insurance? They will write the car off for that as the rear panel will be bent, how annoying.

I don't intend to claim Trig. I'm sore but it's hard enough to get insured at sensible money without taking a cash hit for a non-fault for the next five years. It took long enough to get a solid enough Cavalier without losing one this quickly.

Hope your ok. What a bastard after all the hard work so far. I hope the damage can be sorted easily as seams such a tidy one. Though as a fellow Cavalier owner I reckon a big hammer or a rope round a tree should sort it.

The towbar goes onto a sturdy looking bracket about 3/4 the width of the car so I'm hoping that took the hit.

Good job you got that boot floor welded Andy, bit of structure in that area!

Wheesht you! The boot seems mostly sound.

Couldve been a lot worse Andy, think the towbar has saved further damage tbh. I often wonder if ive done the right thing removing mine, for that very reason.

Damage to the Corsa will probably cost double what you paid for the Cavvy if thats any consolation.

Put it back on. It's saved the Cavalier I reckon.

Unlike. Corsa knobhead distracted by their phone or similar?

Edit: sorry, that should say dislike. Long day and I've now hit the vino...

Not sure... young lad, insured with a black box company, girlfriend in the car so most likely. Apparantly his 66-plate Corsa is already on it's second engine.

All Vauxhalls are... well mine isn't.

When someone ploughed into the back of an 850 I was a passenger in, the towbar took it all and caused a hilarious amount of damage to a Seat Ibiza. Pushed the rear corner of the bonnet through the windscreen, burst the rad. The policeman who attended thankfully was there within 30s, he was just coming round the corner on his bike, otherwise he reckoned he wouldn't have believed that it was just those two cars.

Tl;Dr towbars save old cars from dipshit drivers

Wait, second engine on a 66 plate? At the very worse try and get some cash and a handshake for 'repairs' to teach him a valuable life lesson...

Agreed, you won't have to deal with insurance companies trying to scrap an excellent Cavalier for no reason and you could get a bit of cash to spend on more shite.

I suppose the issue will be he will have no choice than to go through his insurance unless your really lucky, that's probably eleventy million quids damage to that corsa, whereas you could probably do nothing to the cavalier and just carry on...

Also, awww, will the corsa give birth to little baby astras soon?