Hydragas "Dalek" and pumpist wanted

alcyonecorporation

I have got one of these you can borrow as I now have a Dalek. As I am in Somerset not much help pumping it up but I can post the pump to you if you can't find anyone local to do it. I think one of the MG forums has a list of garages that do it but it is well out of date.

Those eBay ones are, by all accounts, a bit shit.  As Lord Sward mentions, the Hydragas Register is a good place to look for someone willing to come and do it for you: http://www.hydragas.co.uk/

I too have a proper dalek but it is borkinated and needs seals so this information is of precisely no use to you.

Do you pump in air or fluid? If fluid, what is it?

My allegro needs pumped up so I might buy one of those eBay jobs.

Hydragas, as the name implies, uses a gas-filled displacer that acts (mostly) as a spring and special, water-based fluid that acts (mostly) as a damper.

You can still get the correct fluid from Rimming Bros, but it's £££.

I've used ethylene glycol antifreeze as a substitute : the viscosity is a bit too high if you use it neat (makes the damping a bit firmer), so you may need to dilute it slightly if you want to maintain OEM comfort levels.

SIXTY FUCKIN QUID?

Yeah, but no.

Grease gun + grease nipple + metal valve cap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500CC-Professional-Grip-Manual-Pistol-Grease-Gun-Flexible-Hose-Connector-/182446213603?hash=item2a7aa449e3:g:pgAAAOSwTglYmCxB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-Heavy-Duty-Grease-Gun-End-Connector-Steel-Hydraulic-Nipple-Fittings-HS385/272254890598?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3Daba4b10687974fdf950ae280f8ecc6bd%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Metal-Chrome-Tyre-Valve-Dust-Cap-/262683021324?hash=item3d2920d00c:g:j3MAAOSwn7JYCJaz

Is about a tenner all-in. Less if you have stuff lying about like I did.

Drill and tap the end of the valve cap to take the grease nipple. Add some araldite to strengthen and seal the join.

Screw valve cap onto relevant valve. Hold grease gun pointing downwards and fit to the nipple. Pour in hydragas fluid antifreeze. Pump. Pressure from the gun pushes the schrader valve open with each stroke, allowing fluid in but not out.

post-17837-0-13890900-1437473888.jpg

post-17837-0-96844300-1437473877.jpg

Do you pump in air or fluid? If fluid, what is it?

My allegro needs pumped up so I might buy one of those eBay jobs.

Hydrolastic fluid, or at a push, antifreeze mixture.  I made two pumps years ago, one of the grease gun type,

Hydropumpgreasegun.jpg

and one from an old brake master cylinder, and for the life of me I can't locate a photo of it.  

Each used the same connector, a lorry-type tyre flexi-connector with the braided wire.  One end was cut off and slipped over a piece of copper brake pipe with a small flare on the end and secured with a jubilee clip, that brake pipe is connected to a brake flexi, the flexi screwed into a brass taper union and that union was screwed into the grease gun.

Do Comma still do the fluid? I've got some somewhere, but its probably in Carlisle. Sorry not much help, but I'll give it a good sniff when I find it.

Also useless info: I sold my Liquid Levers pump when the Maxi was sold. It was such a dull grey box. If it had been a V L Churchill Dalek, I probably would of kept it.

Carlube seem to be the main supplier of it these days rather than Comma.  The last few times I bought some I got Silverhook because it was the cheapest and I've had no issues with it. The Carlube stuff is generally around the £20-30 mark for more than you need to top up one side so you'll end up with some spare.