VW Sharan tdi - time to say goodbye

stripped fred

• 2 weeks later...

I've a few updates on this. It's all working fine and is proving a reliable old bus which I don't mind admitting I'm getting quite fond of. This is probably a bad thing as it's good to keep some distance from a vag car with high miles. I just want a few things sorting for France. Had two new infinity ecomax xl tyres on the front. I've just had a look at their website. It's not very good but confirms they're Chinese, made by the 3rd largest manufacturer in China apparently. I wouldn't usually go for such a budget option but there were hardly worn items on the front when I bought it and they've been quite impressive. No detectable slip wet or dry, not too noisy, seem to wear well. I've nowoe got a full set.

I bought an aircon recharge voucher for ATS from groupon for £28. I was wary of visiting a 'chain outlet' but I must say there were great. They couldn't charge it though as there is an obvious leak from somewhere. He used co2 I think to test it. He told me they wouldn't redeem the voucher so I could claim it back which I did within 5 mins when I got back. So, it didn't cost me anything but it's kaput. Will have to keep the windows open in France, apart from the passenger one which is currently disabled.

Finally, i changed the front drop links today. They both came off easily until the last bolt wouldn't undo on each one. One had a but on the back and the other an Allen key was needed. I tried my angle grinder but that was a bit scary and I feared for my fingers so used a file in the end. New ones fitted and no clunks! Took me about 5 hours but quite chuffed with myself as I've not done them before. Using two jacks to raise the front of the car was also a learning experience. I used 2 axle stands and also checked some wood under there as didn't want that thing on top of me!

post-19517-0-27267900-1499027102_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-24274900-1499027161_thumb.jpg

Glad it's going well. 

They test aircon by putting a vacuum in the system (ie sucking everything out) if it won't hold a vacuum then there's a leak.

Possibly worth an investigate to see if there is an obvious leak on a pipe or something, only drawback is you could spend ages chasing it and buying parts and still end up with no working aircon.

Glad it's going well.

They test aircon by putting a vacuum in the system (ie sucking everything out) if it won't hold a vacuum then there's a leak.

Possibly worth an investigate to see if there is an obvious leak on a pipe or something, only drawback is you could spend ages chasing it and buying parts and still end up with no working aircon.

Thanks. He definitely pumped some gas through it. He recommended a place locally who could look at it but I'm going to leave it for the moment. A web search reveals it's not the most reliable system and plenty of people spent £1000+ when they were newer and it packed up.

Done a few miles in this now. It feels so much better without the clunking of the drop links. Seems to have firmed things up when cornering too but that might be my imagination.

Another little job was trying to restore MW reception which was non existent. After a bit of Google research it was suggested I buy an aerial signal booster a bit like this one although mine is slightly different:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290546844402

It took me less than 5 mins to fit and it's worked. I can now listen to radio 5. It's not great reception but ok. Pleased with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Stripped Fred:

Ive just had a thought

Not sure whether this is applicable: but when I had my Galaxy I had the misfortune of it burning out its under the bonnet fuse box. Located bottom right of the engine bay. Very very bad news and very common. Not sure whetehr you have this on your Sharan - if you do - check it. It's about the clamps the wiring is held onto - not strong enough or something I think and it causes heat which melts the wiring and fuse box.

2 clips on the right hand side of the fuse box If I remember correctly.

Ill add a pic.

Think it was officially called the 'Battery fuse box'.

post-20838-0-83144100-1499955522_thumb.jpg

Decided to change the pollen filter last night as there's not much air coming through the vents. Bloody hell, it's hard to get to! Tucked right under the bulkhead at the back. I was hampered by a wiper arm that wouldn't come undone. I bought a puller a few weeks ago but I can't find it which is a bit frustrating. I managed to remove the old filter but there was no way I could get the new one in without removing more things. I also couldn't get this piece of plastic board back which slides under the bulkhead. I've not noticed any issues with leaving it off so may stay like that for the moment. No fumes coming through the events that I can tell. The photo was taken in the dark so difficult to make out.

Off to France tomorrow so little time and enthusiasm to start taking it apart again!

post-19517-0-58974100-1500052186_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Decided to try and replace the plastic bulkhead cover (or whatever it's called). This was removed to try and replace the pollen filter.

You have to remove the wiper arms to allow the wiper mechanism to be moved out of the way. Still couldn't get the o/s wiper arm free. Access is limited as the plastic moulding gets in the way. Decided to use a crowbar. This resulted in snapping the support arm of the wiper mechanism. Great! It's now secured with cable ties.

I started the job at 6.30pm and finished at 10pm in the dark. I did manage to change the pollen filter but it's not a lot of use as all the air from the engine comes straight through the vents which I don't think is that healthy.

I seem to be going backwards at the moment. A fast depreciating car on PCP seems increasingly attractive! I've bought a used wiper mechanism off eBay for £35 so will attempt to change that when I have a fortnight spare.

On a positive note I did manage to change a headlight bulb without fucking anything up...

post-19517-0-08891100-1502919438_thumb.jpg

ALL MODERN WIPER LINKAGES R SHITE.

I managed to break the linkage on my wife's 147 when trying to clear out the plenum drains to get to the bottom of a leak. 

On that the linkage is made of steel tubes with the pivot/bearing bits made of moulded plastic crimped in the end.

Obviously once these get a bit old and brittle they break as soon as you breathe on them. 

New ones were £coinage but I bodged it up with cable ties and fibreglass.

It's not pretty but it's probably stronger than the original.

post-17573-0-31032000-1502921369_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-53750100-1502921408_thumb.jpg

ALL MODERN WIPER LINKAGES R SHITE.

I managed to break the linkage on my wife's 147 when trying to clear out the plenum drains to get to the bottom of a leak.

On that the linkage is made of steel tubes with the pivot/bearing bits made of moulded plastic crimped in the end.

Obviously once these get a bit old and brittle they break as soon as you breathe on them.

New ones were £coinage but I bodged it up with cable ties and fibreglass.

It's not pretty but it's probably stronger than the original.

IMG_20170611_164303.jpg

IMG_20170611_192658.jpg

Thanks Dave_Q. That makes me feel a bit better.

I'm going to have a go at changing it when I've got some time spare and not under pressure to get it done for work the next day. Will buy one of those wiper pulleys as the wiper arm is properly seized on.

209k ownership summary:

I've done about 9k in this car now. I really like it for lots of reasons. It was quite cheap, has more space than I've ever come near to before, think van with windows, it drives nicely, great autobox, engine pulls well and doesn't feel like some would imagine a 209k engine would (mostly the non car people, not us). Also, and some may disagree, but I think the interiors on vw's tends to be good and it all feels well out together. I also like the bus like driving position.

On the other hand, it is so hot! Think greenhouse in the summer. Now i might be going soft but i keep dreaming of working aircon. Also, the seats could do with more under thigh support so can become uncomfortable on long journeys. I need to get the timing belt and water pump done but it's always a gamble with a £600 car. I think i will do it as I need it reliable.

I've been thinking about other cars but I'm skint and I want to get my money's worth out of it. Perhaps I just use it in winter and get another car for the summer, mmmm...

For the last 12 months I have been running a Seat Alhambra 1.9tdi 130 and while they look a bit naff I agree that they are great tools and do everything you need them to. Mine is manual and 1 previous owner and currently on 123,000 miles. I have covered about 15,000 miles during my ownership. I have just drove it 900 miles to the south of France with just a loss of boost about 100 miles short of my destination. This was quickly fixed with my code reader and the problem has not returned. I was doing 130kph with the cruise control on when someone pulled into my lane forcing me to hit the brakes, there was no boost after that and the 10k to the next service area was slow.

Before I set off I had my air con repaired and gassed as I had a leak on the high and low pressure valves which were replaced and the bill was just £90. A week later and it's still kicking out beautiful cold air. The temperature here yesterday was 37 degrees and to be honest I wouldn't fancy that with no air con.

• 1 month later...

Update:

As mentioned in another thread I managed to shear the supporting bolt from the wiper mechanism when trying to remove the driver side wiper. It still worked ok, until a drive down to London in the dark. That was quite scary but rain x helped. I'd already bought a replacement mechanism so I dropped it round the garage and left them to it as I was sick of messing about with it. All this was caused by me trying to replace the bloody pollen filter!

I took it in for it's mot the other week. It failed. Quite a few advisories too. The drop links shows how even when I think I've fixed something, I haven't! I left the plastic covers on as I thought they were needed but I now realise they were for protection in the post. I'll do them when I get chance and also try and grease the brake pipes.

It went in today to get the work done. Turns out the spring wasn't broken after all. The handbrake is loads better after they changed a caliper. I also asked them to check the auto gearbox fluid and it took a litre due to a slight leak. Will cost me £200 to get this fixed and the fluid changed.

I also removed the screw from the tyre. No surprise that it now goes down after a few days so will need to get a new one sorted.

post-19517-0-92161000-1507580081_thumb.png

That fail list doesn't look too bad tbh.

Not too bad really for an older car and no rust. It's been treated underneath so I'm hoping it will stay ok for a while on that front. I just need to decide if it's worth chucking money at as I don't know when the cambelt was last done, the gearbox leak needs sorting and it has done 211k. Oh, and it still likes to go into limp mode a couple of times a month and is very hot in the summer but it drives well and is so handy for the space it offers. Decisions, decisions....

• 11 months later...

I've had this for just over 18 months now. It's been to France and back and regular 200 mile journeys and local driving since. Has moved endless stuff.

I put it in for the mot this week. It needs quite a bit doing. I must admit that the advisories from the last mot were not addressed so they were still there.

I can't copy the failure sheet here as on my phone but from memory it needs some welding (minimal), brake pad light putting out (it has been on since I bought it in March 2017 but is now a failure), mid exhaust section as it has a hole, new spring, brake pipe and a caliper.

However, it also needs some of the advisories looking at. There is a minor drip from the gearbox which would cost me £200 to fix although loses about a litre a year so I just get them to top it up. Although I have changed oil and filters on time i do not have any history for it or record of a cambelt change.

The aircon doesn't work, the parking sensors have stopped working again but would be easy to fix. Stereo only plays through right speakers, suspect loose wire in the door.

It drives well and can be hustled along. It's comfy and very practical. The engine is noisy but pulls well and the gearbox has no issues.

Mechanic says that when they fix the exhaust leak it will probably fail on emissions as it is smoky. It doesn't use much oil so probably the egr valve which I did try to change but couldn't get to. It used to regularly go into limp mode but now a rare occurrence, perhaps once a month.

It had 202k miles and it now has 226k so 24k in 18 months. I work for myself Joe and it has been a trusty steed. Paintowrk is a bit tatty on one panel and a cipukenof dents but doesn't look bad.

I hate to scrap a car but I don't think it's economical to save. I also have a 56 plate 1.6 focus c-max on standby as it was my mum's old car. That has FSH although is cat c (I think) but a decent enough car. Not used to a manual car now though!

The c-max is in for an mot next week so we will see how that goes but I don't anticipate much as was working fine when i put it in the garage.

If anyone wants a galaxy for scrap value then let me know before it goes for baked bean tins. Sad face.

If anyone wants a galaxy for scrap value then let me know before it goes for baked bean tins. Sad face.

I very nearly bought this originally to use as a garage hack/dog transporter but was beaten to it.

Just reassure me it’s absolutely nowhere near the Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

In Leicester LE18, just off M1 j21.

The annoying thing is it drives well. I've done 340 miles in the last 2 days. Probably my most favourite transport device to date along with my old A4. Yes I do like VAG products, at least the older ones. However, it does emit some fumes and needs too much work, which I am unable to do myself.

If you decide to bridge it I may have a few bits off you of my Ford version :)

I don't mind taking some easy bits off although I might chance eBay at a 99p start and see that happens. I've never really had any problems using eBay. I'm sure someone would fix it up or take it abroad. I don't know how desirable end of life sharan's are?

I'v listed it as 'for sale'. If anyone has any use then let me know. I don't know what scrap value is but that's what I'd be looking for.

I hate scrapping cars as this, with time and some parts, could crack 300k I think. If I had lots of spare time I would ran the egr, patch the exhaust, new short section of brake pipe, cambelt, fix gearbox leak, coil spring, new shocks... hang on, that is quite a bit of work isn't it? I wish I did't form emotional attachments to lumps of metal.

I was hoping for a few replies to say whether you would do the same in my position. Let me know what you think?

I guess it comes down to how much you like the car. Bearing in mind most of what you've listed above is basically wear and tear/service items, I'd be concerned about having to do some/all/equivalent jobs on its replacement. That said, you already have its replacement standing by as a known good option, so again it comes down to personal choice.

I've just spent £500 on my Focus. Was it worth it financially? No. Do I like the car? Yes. Am I prepared to spend (potentially a lot) more than £500 replacing it? Not at the moment. So it was an easy option.

ETA I wouldn't be fixing the gearbox leak, sorting out the a/c (unless it genuinely does just need a regas m8) and I'd think twice about the cambelt depending on how much it would cost to get done.

If I did keep it I would leave the gearbox and aircon but the cambelt thing is starting to bother me as I need to travel to see people for work and I don't really want it going pop.

I think the decision is made. It's done me proud for 18 months and 24k of ownership but too many faults. Will put a battery on the c-max at the weekend and see how it does in the mot on Monday.

Will put a battery on the c-max at the weekend and see how it does in the mot on Monday.

That seems a sensible way forward.

Cost of work as I have to get garage to do it due to only moderate skill and no time £700 maybe? I seem to remember a cambelt and water pump was quoted at nearly £500.

Same here. I'd like to have a crack at more stuff but if I mess it up then it'll just be hassle. £500 seems quite top side for a cambelt unless it's a complicated/labour heavy install? I've no idea what these are like. Cambelt on my Focus was less than £300 for belt kit and pump.