VW Sharan tdi - time to say goodbye

stripped fred

I had similar and spurious problems with both front doors on my galaxy, locks not working and then working windows going up and down and completely not working etc. It was the wiring causing issues as in where the wiring comes from the loom into the doors.

I was going to investigate one day when I opened the passenger door the cables completely snapped. Had to solder new wiring in into the doors - if you look at the door hinges you can see a loom of wiring, thats what snapped on mine. Its a common problem. Maybe check the wiring on yours and in the doors behind the door cards.

Decided to have a look at this after work today. Didn't start until 6pm as it was pissing it down. First I tried to peel back the gaitor covering the wires in the door loom. Couldn't pull it back far so unplugged the socket in the door pillar. I couldn't see any broken wires. I managed to remove the door card and eventually cut through the stocky stuff on the back of the membrane. I was then presented with the door but still couldn't see much. Decided to unplug the motor for the moment to stop the window going down when the car is left as removing the fuse hadn't prevented it. It then took me ages to connect the plug into the door pillar. Without it I couldn't lock the car and couldn't shut the door as the plug would have broken. Much swearing and panic ensued. Stressful! Got it all back together again much to my relief. I was unconsciously pricing up a PCP deal on a reliable* modern.

post-19517-0-99192500-1496958925_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-17989200-1496958942_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-53391900-1496958966_thumb.jpg

Having put the window fix on hold I decided to change the faulty front parking sensor. A quick google said that the bumper had to be removed. Another google said that you can remove the moulding in the front of the bumper. I went for the latter option!

Removed the trim to find the sensor in question snapped in half with one bit stuck solid in the plug. Managed to remove it but broke the plug in the process. I now have 3 bare wires which I can't reach through the small gap. The wiring seemed very miserly to start with. Put it all back together as no easy solution on how to fix other than removing the bumper...

I need to try and find one of the female plugs, the black one in the photo. Does anyone know where I can get one or have one spare preferably with some wiring attached?

Also, my new front discs and pads have now arrived. I'm hoping these will go on without any problems.

post-19517-0-87584500-1497129878_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-21819500-1497129951_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-85964200-1497130047_thumb.jpg

The sensors are cheap as chips on Ebay and they appear to fit pretty much any VAG, Skoda, Seat, whatever.

I'm guessing a plug would need to be secondhand The rears are easily accessible.

A visit to the scrappy with a pair of side cutters might be in order.

In other news, At the last fill up I put BP ultimate premium 4star diesel in and have not had a limp mode since.

Coincidence?

After doing the pads and discs on this (with help off here) I couldn't help myself having another look at the parking sensors. The only way to get to them properly was by removing the front bumper which was quite easy. The wiring to the front one was too short and had pulled out of the plug. I found some wire and contemplated soldering the joints but in the end I used terminal connectors or whatever they're called. Pulled the wires back through the plug. Probably not the best but I think they'll be fine for a while. Wrapped them in plenty of insulation tape to keep the moisture out. They're now working fine :)

post-19517-0-21831700-1497809528_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-04685500-1497809555_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-70265500-1497809587_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-04392900-1497809603_thumb.jpg

The next person to pull out that sensor out will be cursing you :D

You can get crimp joiners that have heatsink and glue in. So once you crimp, you can hear it up with a lighter to watertight the joint.

The person cursing will probably be me!

Where do I find these connector things. Do you know what they're called? I would like to improve the auto electrician part of my repertoire as it's currently quite basic, as you can see.

You can get them in Halfords, motorfactors, eBay, etc. The key is to get a decent quality pair of ratchet crimp tools. Don't bother with the pliers types.

Crimping is actually generally recommended for automotive, aero and military look connections for a whole load of reasons.

Yes most are crimped from the factory. Soldering is about the kit. A quality soldering iron (e.g. £100-300) makes a massive difference in how easy it is to make a good soldering joint. Most of the cheap irons simply don't cut it.

Much easier for someone to make a good quality crimp connection than it is a soldered joint.

With a bit of patience and a small pokey tool you can remove and recrimp the terminals on those.

Alternatively you can get a new plug here with pins, I've always just used needlenose pliers to bend the tabs over and crimp the wire, you can add a bit of solder but it's not really necessary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-VAG-3D0-973-703-3-Pin-Sealed-Female-JPT-Connector-Kit-3D0973703-/141580941250?hash=item20f6e1b7c2:g:PT4AAOSwe-FU5fmF

With a bit of patience and a small pokey tool you can remove and recrimp the terminals on those.

Alternatively you can get a new plug here with pins, I've always just used needlenose pliers to bend the tabs over and crimp the wire, you can add a bit of solder but it's not really necessary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-VAG-3D0-973-703-3-Pin-Sealed-Female-JPT-Connector-Kit-3D0973703-/141580941250?hash=item20f6e1b7c2:g:PT4AAOSwe-FU5fmF

My fix seems to be working but if it plays up at all I'll get one of those plugs. I couldn't find them when I looked. Cheers.

Good work Paul.

I didn't even know this had front sensors when I had it!

But I did think it needed them more at the front than the rear - you can see the back corners of the car from the driver's seat, but where the front is was anyone's guess.

Yep both front and rear. I've had to change 2 now but they're not too pricey. It does make a big difference for parallel parking. You can always go a lot closer than you think you can so much easier to get in car sized spaces even with this old bus.

Not being able to open the front passenger window isn't ideal today with the temp getting to 31 degrees. I've bought a Groupon offer to get the aircon regassed at ATS. It's probably knackered but at £28 worth a gamble. Only problem is they're fully booked until the end of next week. Seems like I'm not the only one who's been a bit warm today!

They are like a greenhouse in this weather.

I spent an extraordinary amount of money on a new air con hose to get my a/c working again.

It was that or get rid. I don't do hot.

^^ this. Broken aircon to me counts as a major mechanical failure. If expensive to fix, something that would lead to it's sale.