VW Sharan tdi - time to say goodbye

stripped fred

Like I mentioned before I've only had limp mode once recently but I'd already bought this stuff so I'll run it through. Out of all the additives/cleaners this one seems to get the best reviews. Worth noting for anyone else with modern shite with a variable nozzle turbo. It's not cheap but if it does half of what it says on the bottle then money well spent.

post-19517-0-24580500-1492801264_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-54365200-1492801282_thumb.jpg

Does the claims list on the bottle include

1. Makes your dogs hair glossier and nose wetter

2. Stops chimney leaks on brick built houses

3. Prevents moss build up on patios / decking

Yes it does all those things and also makes you more attractive to the opposite sex. I've not had a moments peace since I bought it.

I've now got vcds lite connected. I've managed to find a few fault codes for the engine but they're a bit vague. Can anyone help? Also found out which parking sensor is faulty and got a few codes for the aircon which doesn't work.

what type of interface are you using with vcds? if you wouldnt mind.

what type of interface are you using with vcds? if you wouldnt mind.

Not sure what you mean by interface. I'm not very tech savvy. I just downloaded vcds lite for free and bought a cable off eBay. I think someone gave me the links earlier in this thread. The cable came with a disc to load onto my PC.

Not sure what you mean by interface. I'm not very tech savvy. I just downloaded vcds lite for free and bought a cable off eBay. I think someone gave me the links earlier in this thread. The cable came with a disc to load onto my PC.

its the cable that i need,i just dont know which one is compatible,i have the vcds full version,but the cables i have dont seem compatible

I mentioned it before but it's definitely worthwhile ripping the egr and inlet manifold off. Cleaning it all and then blanking the egr off.

Mr muscle into the turbo vanes sorts the limp mode and peps it up nicely!

HAve some pics of my egr and inlet before blanking:

Egr

027538CE-A067-451C-A06B-C5B475D80BDA.jpg

Inlet

776D011C-0512-4B26-A220-341EFE39C851.jpg

Here's the guide for Mr Muscle trick:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a couple of thousand miles in this and no problems. That included plenty of motorway and a trip from Leicester to Great Yarmouth. The big test came this weekend though. Leicester to Devon. 100 miles in the dreaded limp mode struck. It was after a prolonged period of 50mph due to roadworks and then accelerating up to 70. From past experience once it's started it carries on which was bad news as it was late and we had another 120 miles to go. Managed to get about 10 miles between each occurrence but long motorway inclines brought it back. In the end I got bored of pulling over to the hard shoulder to restart the thing so found keeping it in limp mode I could get up to 75 on the downward stretches and about 60 on the inclines using some momentum.

When I'm back home I'll have another look at the fault codes and see if I can Mr muscle the turbo and egr again before our trip to France. If I can't sort it I'll just work round it. The other 99% of the time it's fine just doesn't like long motorway journeys.

I have read a few posts in various places where people have had to do 3 or 4 goes at the Mr Muscle.

I have a can in the cupboard. Waiting for a brave moment to give it a try.

Living 15 miles from the nearest dual carriageway isn't going to help.

What obd software and cable are you using? Limp mode sucks.

I've had times when I pull over to reset only for it to cut in straight away because I booted it to pull out.

How long did you leave the Mr Muscle in for last time?

I think you need to leave it in overnight for the best results, and work the mechanism a few times while it's in there.

Just thought - you could use something like this to work the actuator rather than trying to unbolt it and move the lever by hand.

How long did you leave the Mr Muscle in for last time?

I think you need to leave it in overnight for the best results, and work the mechanism a few times while it's in there.

Just thought - you could use something like this to work the actuator rather than trying to unbolt it and move the lever by hand.

Thanks for that. I will leave it overnight next time. The first treatment definitely helped and almost fixed it so worth giving it another go. I didn't disconnect anything when working the actuator last time and it was hard to move it as needed a lot of force and was in an awkward position. Would I attach the pump to the vacuum line that goes to the actuator and get it moving that way? Sorry if this is obvious!

Gave this another blast of Mr muscle last night. I think I used about half a can! I also left it in overnight this time. Didn't get chance to use the vacuum pump as it's not arrived yet but I managed to get the actuator arm moving quite smoothly. Had a long drive to London tonight, about 120 miles, and no limp mode! Lots of 50mph sections on the M1 also helped achieve a new mpg record of 46.5mpg so a good result all round.

So where are you squirting it?

Directly into the turbo or down the EGR pipe?

You can go exhaust side of turbo or poke silicon hose down the egr pipe to exhaust manifold, it achieves the same.

First time I got the limp mode it took 3 Mr muscle attempts to sort it. I know do it once every 6 months just to keep on top of it. Defo worth blanking the egr valve!!

Directly into the turbo is best if you can as that's where the bits that get clogged up are.

Most how-tos seem to tell you to put it in the EGR hole in the manifold as that's a bit easier, you can do it from the top on most applications.

However, it's possible that the cleaner doesn't get into the right place doing it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a new problem to sort with this. The passenger side electric window doesn't work from the passenger switch. I bought a new switch and it still doesn't work. Never mind I thought, not a big deal. However, when driving the other day in heavy rain the window went down on it's own and refused to go up using the driver side switch. After I stopped and switched the ignition off and on it went back up. It's got a mind of it's own now though and goes down nearly every journey so I took the fuse out. Came to drive the car this morning and the window was down which isn't great as it's parked in the street and it's a bit dodgy round here.

I've tried googling it and there seem to be loads of reasons why it might be doing it. One other thing to mention is when you do manage to get it to go back up it then comes down about 3 inches and stays there the first time. I'm thinking it might be the sensor which stops it trapping people's fingers. As it happened when raining I'm also going to check the drain holes near the bulkhead aren't blocked.

I know it's a modern type problem but has anyone had this and managed to sort it? Will try removing the door card and having a look later.