GM dizzler Mk3 Astra - £4 a ticket

RobT

Great stuff, glad you made it OK. Is that a bowl of veg by the Ignis? I believe Billy has plans to run it on the stuff.

No, someone local must have left a washing up bowl of old engine oil out and it's blown in the wind :(

Are these all defo veg friendly by the way?  

I loved my nine or so hours in total driving this car. It's a proper dependable plodder. You can feel that it just wants to work for you, to make you happy. Slowly.

The lack of pace didn't bother me at all, in fact I found it relaxing. I am the kind of oddball that prefers a non-turbo diesel though. In my mind diesels should be lazy, the frantic hunt for the tiny window of boost in turbos just feels wrong. Like fitting an outboard motor to a tortoise or summat.

I reckon this Astra would just keep going through any apocalypse. Any apocalypse that wiped out rust anyway.

It's ace. I'm smitten.

I loved my nine or so hours in total driving this car. It's a proper dependable plodder. You can feel that it just wants to work for you, to make you happy. Slowly.

The lack of pace didn't bother me at all, in fact I found it relaxing. I am the kind of oddball that prefers a non-turbo diesel though. In my mind diesels should be lazy, the frantic hunt for the tiny window of boost in turbos just feels wrong. Like fitting an outboard motor to a tortoise or summat.

I reckon this Astra would just keep going through any apocalypse. Any apocalypse that wiped out rust anyway.

It's ace. I'm smitten.

Good description there! It does feel eager doesn't it and not particularly slow just that you need to go at its pace. Glad you like it.

No, someone local must have left a washing up bowl of old engine oil out and it's blown in the wind :(

Are these all defo veg friendly by the way?

I think the "low blow" may have used a Lucas pump, but the full fat GM TD, the Isuzu diesels and this 1.7D are ripe for vegging. That's not to say that the 20+ year old fuel lines, seals and filter housing will cope

It's neither of those. GM engine with no blow if that makes a difference?

Its a no from me then. The OLD OLD n/a may cope in the short term but from what I've heard anecdotally, theyre not a "veg friendly" lump. *other peoples opinion may be better informed and more accurate.

What makes you think that?

Bosch pump + indirect injection = nearly ideal.

Some old VW diesels with that setup hate cold starting on veg but I'm not aware of any issues specific to the GM 1.7D.

Richard's mechanic friend burned used engine oil in his Cavalier 1.7D, no issues as far as I know apart from the local air quality.

Richard's mechanic friend burned used engine oil in his Cavalier 1.7D, no issues as far as I know apart from the local air quality.

Mustard mitt I had a few occasions to feel guilty about air quality.  Cold start clag fests enveloped my neighbours a few times when rolling it out of the garage.  Another time I was driving up Lickey Hill foot to the floor in 2nd and the guy behind was flashing me!  That was also when cold, it's less of an issue when up to temperature.

What makes you think that?

Bosch pump + indirect injection = nearly ideal.

Some old VW diesels with that setup hate cold starting on veg but I'm not aware of any issues specific to the GM 1.7D.

People on the mk3 cav forum reporting trying it with unsuccessful results. Poor/impossible starting, leaks popping out everywhere. Just second hand info though. Never tried to run one myself.

Mustard mitt I had a few occasions to feel guilty about air quality.  Cold start clag fests enveloped my neighbours a few times when rolling it out of the garage.  Another time I was driving up Lickey Hill foot to the floor in 2nd and the guy behind was flashing me!  That was also when cold, it's less of an issue when up to temperature.

I have recently begun to notice similar 'clag' issues with the n/a Hiace when it's under load, nothing huge but it's noticeable and it's not great, cycling to work every day does give you a sharp perspective on air quality!  I am fast going off diesels for this reason.  

The obvious, simple answer is to install the 3.0 V6 out of an Omega.  Combined with the weight savings of the missing boot structure, should go well and smoke less.  Or break in half.

The leaks when using OMG!SVO/WVO are often down to incompatible seal material. Changing all the seals for Viton fixes this instantly. I tend to agree with the "cleans out a lot of gunk" theory too, although not in terms of crud in the fuel system, more that the injectors and exhaust are generallt cleaned out when using a blend. Certainly the MOT K-1 reading I have had is lower when on a blend than when on Dizzle only.