Less modern laguna.. For SALE! Terrible price, £200, you have until monday at 9am to stake a claim!

beko1987

So, ignoring the broken dipstick, oily engine and buggared thermostat as it all runs fine, I had anotehr crack at working out the radio wiring to find a perm live.

It's not too chopped up tbh, there's this red wire which has 2v running through it, then this black wire with a green trace that is soldered onto an orange wire

post-5612-0-32733000-1491334914_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-61978000-1491335076_thumb.jpg

(Ignore all the end crimps, that was me extending the red wire that kept pulling out (and I chopped in the wrong place like a knob so there's more than there should be)

The black and green wire has a friend, that comes from above the glovebox with a female bullet connector, and no voltage

post-5612-0-88700600-1491334980_thumb.jpg

Both ends have different female connectors, and I'm not about to connect them up now!

post-5612-0-21160900-1491335007_thumb.jpg

One thing that's always confused me is the red wire comes out of the BACK of the iso plug, then connects up to the other side of the iso wiring, so goes in a big loop...

post-5612-0-50768100-1491335052_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-48602900-1491335090_thumb.jpg

Just for shits and giggles, I unwrapped the red wire and probed it, it only got 2v last time...WTF 12V? Then it hit me, as I moved the earth probe up and down the door check strap and watched the voltage change... solid 12v when held against the door bolt!

So fuck it, I chopped the red wire and crimped it straight to the red wire that was taped up, lobbed the radio together and turned the ignition on. It worked. I then tuned into a random station and set it as preset 1, then turned the horrible demo mode off and changed the EQ (the last 2 were never remembered.) Ignition off, then on and it remembered them! I did it again, and it still remembered!

I'm containing my excitement until it starts tomorrow, incase I find out why it was disconnected in the first place! But if it all starts, I spent quite a large wodge on a Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB headunit, and can't wait to fit it! No idea if the glass mount dab aerial is any good, but I'm skint now, so I'll have to stream music, FM/AM or SD card it like a common person until payday...

God only knows why it was disconnected, nor why everything works bar the OBD plug when the fuse that lives by the OBD was missing (wonder if that was why the carminat was removed in the first place? Not spunking £200 on a Carminat set to find out though!)

Now, next question, has anyone ever had the sump off a 2.2dci? Or can the dipstick tube be unbolted easily*?

Not an auction. A big collector down in Devon vanished. He was an old chap, we all got worried, and 2 lads who live near him went to see if he was OK, and not laid on the floor dead. Turns out, he'd had a mental breakdown, and his friends had made him get rid of everything he had collected over the years. Not just hoovers, but lots and lots of Dr Who stuff, and other bits. Think Mr Trebus apparently.

So these lads go and collect all his hoovers and are selling them on his behalf. The better ones are going on ebay and making a fortune, but they rented a unit near them to store it all

post-5612-0-11681400-1491340805_thumb.jpg

A few people have been to visit and buy stuff, and I went at the weekend! I went to Bristol to meet up with 2 other collectors for a jolly day out, and we drove down

post-5612-0-43036300-1491340841_thumb.jpg

I ended up with:

6 Turbopower 2's (but I had one, so gave it away to the bloke from Bristol as he quite liked it)

A Constellation, and we found a full tool set

A Hoover Brush Vac (just never had one)

An original bag in quite good order for my 1935 Hoover 875

A Smashed Turbomaster Electronic

2 Hoover Junior 1224's (one to keep, one to sell)

and a fuck load of other random bits, mainly Dyson stuff.

The other two got loads of stuff too, hence the overloaded gooner and 60mph cruise back to Bristol to unload half of it! Thinking about it I should have fueled up and taken the Xantia, but I only realised this whilst packing the car to come back, and it was too late then. I was genuinely worrying about the tyres, remembering they were up at their max book pressures, and thinking maybe I should have let some air out, but pressed on as we were on the M5 by then, and had been for some time!

post-5612-0-46107100-1491341004_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-44418700-1491341014_thumb.jpg

I'm glad the car got full tbh, I could have bought so much more back! Spent £120 as it was, whoops!

If anyone wants a Junior or 5, I'll give you details! All have prices on, but all negotiable I think!

I had a sneaky clean of a panel earlier!

post-5612-0-22597000-1491396698_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-91823400-1491396740_thumb.jpg

Full of swirls, and some egg damage I think

I gave my stepdad some old super resin Polish ages ago, so found that and an old cloth and gave the panel a clean. It was too hot for the srp really, and it dried instantly, but hid a fair amount of the swirls

post-5612-0-46535600-1491396849_thumb.jpg

I then spent 5 minutes with black hole, and it was swipe tested in 5 minutes

post-5612-0-17882300-1491396889_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-62112100-1491396908_thumb.jpg

This made the panel very shiney!

post-5612-0-93179800-1491396935_thumb.jpg

I got my pot of Rainforest rub out

post-5612-0-27771600-1491396960_thumb.jpg

And applied it a bit too thickly

post-5612-0-32821200-1491396986_thumb.jpg

It burnt my fingers too, the cars been in the sun all day. But after 20 minutes I buffed it off, and the very metallic paint came through

post-5612-0-68077700-1491397030_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-89755400-1491397048_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-02728800-1491397069_thumb.jpg

With a proper wash and polish it'll look sick bruv!

I also started fitting my new radio, but no pictures yet as I've got the microphone run, and the unit half out of the dash to carry on with the dab aerial tomorrow! Looks very nice though, and I called Amy who only moaned a bit! The 20a accessory fuse blew some time between parking up this morning and lunch time though, which is annoying. There's a 15a in there now, I'll see if it goes again tonight...

post-5612-0-90782100-1491396787_thumb.jpg

It'll happen, don't worry! I need a clear weekend!

But, all I did was:

(didn't even wash it, don't not do that!)

Super Resin Polish on an old microfibre applied on a burning hot panel in the sun (don't do this, it dried too fast and has no working time, hence why the fillers didnt work as well as they could)

Buffed off

Poorboys World Black Hole applied with a different MF. This loves the sun, so a nice long working time.

Leave to haze, then finger swipe test, then buff off.

Apply a very,  very thin smear of Wax (I put too much on and it was clingy to buff off, never used RFR before!)

Leave to haze, swipe, buff

Another coat of wax!

Maybe a 3rd

Admire.

Granted it's a long old job if doing a whole car, I chose that panel as it was tiny!

Can't wait to do the whole thing, it's got such a metallic paint it will look lovely! Just hope it's not this sunny when I do get round to it

Yes. SRP has a mild cut, and lots of fillers, so the swirls are there, just hidden (fine for now!)

Black hole is a show glaze. Has a tiny amount of cut, but is mainly filler and leaves a very, very deep shine

RFR is Wax. Adds a tiny bit of colour (hence it's a dark wax, Nattys Blue for example I treat as a 'add nothing but gloss' wax) and more gloss, and protection.

I have no idea what products I'll use when I do the whole car, there's a lot of decontamination to do, but I have 2 options:

SRP (Ultra Deep Shine actually as that's what I have, but it's basically the same thing), then Black Hole then Wax

SRP, Chemical Guys Blacklight, which is a hybrid glaze that has a deeper gloss than Black Hole, but the paintwork has to look pretty spotless, and I don't know how it will come out), then Nattys Blue (Nattys Blue looks good on Blacklight!)

But before any of that there's a day of snowfoam, wheel cleaning, arch liner cleaning, fallout removal, claying, cleaning all the little areas with a brush and G101 etc. Then it gets a wash!

TL;DR - Black Hole makes a polished car look more shiney! And smells fucking amazing

I need to spend a full day cleaning arches, wheels, engine bay, detarring and claying and getting moss out of window rubbers etc but unfortunately now I have all the products and have the car back from the garage after having a new spring, new nsr caliper and rear discs and pads, the council have closed and dug up our street for resurfacing so we can't get access for 2 weeks and have to park in another street.

Btw, is it safe to spray the entire engine bay and components with APC, work it in with a brush and then jet wash the entire thing? I don't think I'll get it clean otherwise being a dirty diesel with 150K miles of grime and previous diesel and oil leaks.

It looks great.the paints come up really well. I have decontaminated the accord estates paint and am working over some of the scratches and marks with G3 scratch paste. Honda paint must be very soft,there are a lot of tiny chips on the bonnet and tops of wings, I have used the poor boys super swirl remover in some areas as well. I have a big job ahead of me. I think the Laguna is going to come up really well if that panel is anything to go by

Hendry - perfectly safe* to wash the engine bay of a modern, just don't aim the pw straight at any wires etc and you'll be fine! I need to do it with the gooner and the Zafira (gooner for oil, Zafira for dust!)

The wheel shake seemed to be more noticeable on the way home too, might check the tyre pressures. The fuel gage seems to like dropping down too, 1/4 left @200 miles. Meh.

Took a better pic of the polished panel too now the sun's gone down a bit

post-5612-0-66438100-1491414853_thumb.jpg

The srp needed a longer working time as its still a bit swirly, but the depth and clarity is much better. Bit sad I didn't get a da polisher as this would have probably come out, will see if I feel brave enough to hit it with the rotary, but probably won't for now/ever

post-5612-0-73452200-1491415089_thumb.jpg

Comparison to an untouched bit

post-5612-0-42270200-1491415121_thumb.jpg

Need to finish wiring in the pioneer too. I left it half out of the dash so I can take it out to run the dab aerial in, and didn't bother setting it up so I can unplug it, and the demo mode is epilepsy inducing! The acc fuse hasn't blown again yet though.

Hendry - perfectly safe* to wash the engine bay of a modern, just don't aim the pw straight at any wires etc and you'll be fine! I need to do it with the gooner and the Zafira (gooner for oil, Zafira for dust!)

* But not safe for the Laguna II, Megane II ... well most French cars of that era.

Not an auction. A big collector down in Devon vanished. He was an old chap, we all got worried, and 2 lads who live near him went to see if he was OK, and not laid on the floor dead. Turns out, he'd had a mental breakdown, and his friends had made him get rid of everything he had collected over the years. Not just hoovers, but lots and lots of Dr Who stuff, and other bits. Think Mr Trebus apparently.

So these lads go and collect all his hoovers and are selling them on his behalf. The better ones are going on ebay and making a fortune, but they rented a unit near them to store it all

17553697_10154294014832477_5012951401553186454_n.jpg

A few people have been to visit and buy stuff, and I went at the weekend! I went to Bristol to meet up with 2 other collectors for a jolly day out, and we drove down

17629713_10154294014877477_4700882422411417609_n.jpg

I ended up with:

6 Turbopower 2's (but I had one, so gave it away to the bloke from Bristol as he quite liked it)

A Constellation, and we found a full tool set

A Hoover Brush Vac (just never had one)

An original bag in quite good order for my 1935 Hoover 875

A Smashed Turbomaster Electronic

2 Hoover Junior 1224's (one to keep, one to sell)

and a fuck load of other random bits, mainly Dyson stuff.

The other two got loads of stuff too, hence the overloaded gooner and 60mph cruise back to Bristol to unload half of it! Thinking about it I should have fueled up and taken the Xantia, but I only realised this whilst packing the car to come back, and it was too late then. I was genuinely worrying about the tyres, remembering they were up at their max book pressures, and thinking maybe I should have let some air out, but pressed on as we were on the M5 by then, and had been for some time!

IMG_20170404_124651.jpg

IMG_20170404_134655.jpg

I'm glad the car got full tbh, I could have bought so much more back! Spent £120 as it was, whoops!

If anyone wants a Junior or 5, I'll give you details! All have prices on, but all negotiable I think!

Is this the guy I know? If so would explain the hoovers!

Just finished wiring up my new headunit!

The glass mount dab aerial is sellotaped to the windscreen because its not sticky anymore. Was half expecting it not to work but it picks up a smattering of stations, most importantly planet rock so win there, will see if it holds it on the way to work tomorrow. It's not the most intuitive of units, so setting a DAB preset is something I have not worked out yet, but I'll work it out. Ran the USB lead to the cubby box too, wired the phone mic up and had to screw the fascia plate to the dash. Can't find the bezel though, will look for that tomorrow (if it even had one, can't remember now).

Currently filling a usb stick up with music!

Looking good Beeks.

Slightly off topic but the small Black tool box/case in your first picture above? Is it spoken for? If not does it still have its locking tabs in tact. It looks exactly the same as my Halfords tool box but the tabs on mine have broken it's kept shut with a bungee cord. Wouldn't mind a replacement if it's available.

Just finished wiring up my new headunit!

The glass mount dab aerial is sellotaped to the windscreen because its not sticky anymore. Was half expecting it not to work but it picks up a smattering of stations, most importantly planet rock so win there, will see if it holds it on the way to work tomorrow. It's not the most intuitive of units, so setting a DAB preset is something I have not worked out yet, but I'll work it out. Ran the USB lead to the cubby box too, wired the phone mic up and had to screw the fascia plate to the dash. Can't find the bezel though, will look for that tomorrow (if it even had one, can't remember now).

Currently filling a usb stick up with music!

Why'd you need to screw the fascia plate to the dash, that's not normal is it?

Get some black double sided/trim tape for the DAB aerial to the windscreen.

I like Pioneer units, good value, good sound quality, look good and feel quality and made to last. Still have fond memories of my DEH P70BT from about 10/11 years ago which was about £200 and one of the first to have built in Bluetooth. Also liked the wee remote you got with it with a holder with wee leather straps so you could DIY steering wheel audio controls on older cars which never came with them at all.

Presumably the Laguna has steering wheel controls, or rather steering column mounted controls which are handy for changing tracks and volume but I'd imagine the adaptors are mega money.

Why'd you need to screw the fascia plate to the dash, that's not normal is it?

Get some black double sided/trim tape for the DAB aerial to the windscreen.

I like Pioneer units, good value, good sound quality, look good and feel quality and made to last. Still have fond memories of my DEH P70BT from about 10/11 years ago which was about £200 and one of the first to have built in Bluetooth. Also liked the wee remote you got with it with a holder with wee leather straps so you could DIY steering wheel audio controls on older cars which never came with them at all.

Presumably the Laguna has steering wheel controls, or rather steering column mounted controls which are handy for changing tracks and volume but I'd imagine the adaptors are mega money.

Yea the fascia adapter is broken. But screwed in nicely now thanks to my phone holder!

I'm leaving the dab for now and will buy a more proper aerial when I can afford it. The one that came with the radio has been used before, and works fine when stationary, but looses the signal when I drive. Although there is a black wire that I don't know what it does, I think it's a 12v feed and have it connected up to the remote blue wire atm, might try it on the switched live and see...

I can get an adapter for £45 to make the steering wheel controls work, but that's £45 more than I have, and as the gear shifter makes a lovely resting place for my hand to fiddle with the radio, it's fine as it is!

Ive not driven it in 3 days though! Amy had a resident of the care home she works at fall on her Friday night, and she sprained her shoulder. So I took today and tomorrow off work to look after the kids as she can't lift them, we went shopping yesterday, out and about today and ive driven about 70 miles in the Zafira! Handy as I have 97 miles of fuel in the gooner, and with Friday being a bank holiday I shouldn't need fuel this week!

The Autosmart guy comes tomorrow, glad I took the money for him out in cash a few days ago or that would be long gone! Been sowing the seeds that I want to clean a car this weekend (zafira may win but that's fine by me for now) but with Amy being a grumpy cunt at the moment who knows! I've pissed off her friend who would take her out so she probably will stay at home... Which means eva will want to help

Just put your foot down and tell her you're doing it mate. If she complains just tell her either it's her car you're cleaning or that you're doing your own but you will clean her car too at some point so she should be grateful and not moan, if she wants to moan she can do it herself. That's what I would do!

Let your kid get involved though, teach her the art of detailing and about cars from a young age!! Kids love helping wash cars and buffing off polish and it's quite good fun! Beats taking them down the park or to McDs or out on their bike etc.

Well I want to clean both, so tbh I'll happily do the Zafira. I'm going ocd anal decontamination on it though, ill zone out and eva will run off... She can wash it another day when all it needs is a foam and 2 bucket wash! Not sure I want her using Tardis and clay

I did my old mans Mondeo on Saturday, interior valet, outside washed, detarred, ferrous dueller and still the clay bar was black after every panel, it was getting late and I couldn't be arsed any longer so glass polished the windows, megs tyre shine on the tyres and a coat of Nattys paste wax.

Couldn't believe how manky it was for a 63 plate car with 69K on it, considering back in September when he had not long got it and it'd done about 54K miles I gave it a full hit then too, didn't think in 7 months it'd get that bad.

Speaking of which, I need to pick your brains, there was a bird shit on the boot spoiler, got it off without scratching it into the paint, but it has etched into the lacquer, I know it's possible to remove this kind of thing, but how?

Also the paint is now decontaminated, clean and shiny but is very swirly, it's deep impact blue, it's a metallic dark blue but bright too if that makes sense so the swirls are very prominent, what would you do by hand (I don't have a DA or a buff or a polisher and the parking is off the houses so unless I ran a 100m cable from a plug socket out the living room window I couldn't use one anyway. Think the only think I've got presently that might help is Meguiars deep crystal paint restorer and some autoglym SRP. It doesn't need to be perfect as it's a taxi and will likely get fucked again quickly.

I also noticed the Mondeo alloys are going the same way as My Jetta alloys, brake dust pitted in that claying doesn't remove nor does fallout remover, have also noticed this on a lot of cars on dealer forecourts lately whilst window shopping new cars, whereas I never had this issue on any of my previous cars, and seldom saw it other than on BMW and Mini wheels, have brake pads started being made with harder friction materials or something. My wheels are that bad I will need to attack them with neat brick acid.