Festival of the Unexceptional, 22 July 2017

quicksilver

Fantastic event, I'm glad I made the effort to attend this year.

One of the highlights for me was dollywobbler's sunroof getting stuck open in a downpour. I don't feel guilty saying that as he managed to fix it in the end!

post-5013-0-83596700-1500753300_thumb.jpeg

I also spotted Mr_Bo11ox's 623GSi on the way out, shame I didn't get the chance to speak to the shite whisperer himself.

post-5013-0-57016700-1500753404_thumb.jpeg

I arrived at 2pm, I stood chatting while some prizes were dished out, then there was a friggin monsoon so I took shelter in Hirst's Honda Quintet. By the time the rain eased off, most cars had left! So I saw about 5% of everything. Seems like my idea of the perfect car show though. Some really fantastic motors.

A truly excellent day out. Fantastic selection of cars and great company.

post-79-0-28167000-1500757124_thumb.jpg

The weather was pretty good for 75% of the event. Nice location too.

post-79-0-06830700-1500757203_thumb.jpg

Steps up to the school gave a good vantage point for this sort of thing.

post-79-0-42885700-1500757279_thumb.jpg

The winning cars, with former ASer Mash's lovely Sunny getting the top spot.

post-79-0-34417000-1500757331_thumb.jpg

Little Chef selection, something of a theme.

The highlight of the day for me was the people, especially from the early days of this place. At various points we had past and present members Hirst, Wuvvum, Mash, Reallyloud, MrBo11ox, Ratdat and (reputedly) Pogweasel circulating the field. Great to catch up with newer forum friends and also make some new acquaintances. Very sorry that the Sierra Base couldn't be there, however.

I should also mention that the 1200 did a great job getting me there and back. It must have been its longest journey for many years and it sat on the dual carriageways quite happily, despite much of the driving being done in fairly miserable, wet conditions. To finish the day off on a high I even managed to drive back on my favourite stretch of road between Higham Ferrers and St Neots (a journey undertaken in many different Datsuns over the years, on the way to/from Billing).

I've always fancied this. Tis a bit too far for the 900T in a day trip. Now the 127 Fiorino will be more than capable. Next year would be a good target for getting it all sorted... :-D

Well it looks like this thread might finally get ruined with a bulk photo blast   8)

Arrived gone midday in the VX 4/90, and apart from one shower, the expected deluge held off right until Danny Hopkins finished reading the awards from the steps of the house.  Even had some sunshine for a bit, so took some photos.

Other celebs in attendance were a Nick Larkin pawing over the Vauxhall, who asked to run an article on it in Classic Car Weekly...  Plenty of other recognisable faces amongst the other staffers from the classic press - oh and Ed China was there too.

Did spend some while annoying both Dan Hirstcabs and his Quintet, also the Delta and 132. Great to meet Hirst and Ian Dollywobbler amongst others.  Do not paint!  that Bluebird.  Was a bit overwhelmed by it all and it was a rush to get to see front and rear of the house and get about.  Other highlights include 3 Stellas in a row, 2 green Avenger Estates in a row, that Royale and my old Trevi looking shiny shiny

Some photos of the Concours d'Ordinaire:

SAM_2505.jpg SAM_2506.jpg SAM_2507.jpg SAM_2508.jpg

SAM_2509.jpg SAM_2510.jpg SAM_2511.jpg SAM_2512.jpg

SAM_2513.jpg SAM_2514.jpg SAM_2515.jpg SAM_2516.jpg

SAM_2518.jpg SAM_2519.jpg SAM_2520.jpg SAM_2521.jpg

SAM_2522.jpg SAM_2523.jpg SAM_2524.jpg SAM_2525.jpg

SAM_2526.jpg SAM_2527.jpg SAM_2528.jpg SAM_2529.jpg

SAM_2530.jpg SAM_2536.jpg SAM_2539.jpg SAM_2540.jpg

SAM_2541.jpg SAM_2542.jpg SAM_2543.jpg SAM_2544.jpg
SAM_2570.jpg

Some other 'interestings' in the public car park

SAM_2546.jpg SAM_2547.jpg SAM_2548.jpg SAM_2549.jpg

SAM_2550.jpg SAM_2551.jpg SAM_2552.jpg SAM_2553.jpg

SAM_2554.jpg SAM_2555.jpg SAM_2556.jpg SAM_2557.jpg

SAM_2558.jpg SAM_2559.jpg SAM_2560.jpg SAM_2561.jpg

SAM_2562.jpg SAM_2563.jpg SAM_2564.jpg SAM_2566.jpg

SAM_2567.jpg SAM_2569.jpg 

Awards gathering followed by the expected deluge that waited until right after the last few breaths - then most folks cleared-off

SAM_2581.jpg SAM_2582.jpg SAM_2583.jpg SAM_2586.jpg

Sat out the rain in one of the BetaBoys' Lancia Betas for a bit until it calmed, then dashed home as wife rang, all grumpy.  Up front was Danny Hopkins in his Avantime (following a RAC van, handy).

SAM_2588.jpg 

Note to organisers:

Do it again!
But not on a Saturday, please!
Make it 9am - 6pm
At least let us use the toilets in the house as after all you gave us a pass to get in there!  What did you think we were - Peasants?  Oh yes of course -  good point.  Sorry.

Why are the pics so small? They don't get bigger when pressed!!

Eh?  They are thumbnails to the larger image.  After the Photobucket debacle, hot links are best avoided

Are you on a phone or summat?

---

edit: just noticed Chrome is playing up.  Opening up in IE works proper, every click.  Now, that's a first.

image.jpg

Ah, so the VX4/90 is yours - I remembered it was a shiter's but couldn't remember the username. Some of those things in the public car park were definitely deserving of the chod park (that R25 for one) and I'm sure they would have been allowed in so it's a shame they were relegated to the boring bit. We ended up following that Bristol home - they really are very strange cars indeed.

Sadly, I kept getting distracted and did not get close to either of the Maxis.  Did the Simca 1100 estate engine sound like a Simca?  I miss their terminal sounding top end rattles which surprisingly did not blunt performance* or reduce engine life.  I hired a hatchback version in the 1980s or 90s and rather liked it.  Nice write-up, and yes, the contrast between the upper crust setting and the humble vehicles worked very well.

Eh? They are thumbnails to the larger image. After the Photobucket debacle, hot links are best avoided

Are you on a phone or summat?

---

edit: just noticed Chrome is playing up. Opening up in IE works proper, every click. Now, that's a first.

image.jpg

Yeah I'm on my phone. The default Samsung browser. Click on a photo and it just opens a blank window.

Evening All, brilliant feedback and thank you all for coming and your patience at the gate! I had the joy of trying to park the 820 modern vehicles and trying to figure out, A what language they were speaking and B if they were there for the School, the house, the wedding or the Unexceptional! So yes I was the handsome Hagerty employee on the gate upsetting TVR and 911 owners!

I must stress that we want the classic car park to be full of equally unexceptional vehicles, we did choose 5 from the car park as wild cards for the concourse, the super low mileage Peugeot saloon being my choice.

Any feedback or suggestions, please message me!

P.S I am an old car enthusiast, I enjoy my job but I won't answer any insurance questions on forums, I just want to talk about cars!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk