I have bought a commuter car

montytom

When I bought my Rover 75 a few years back it was never meant to be used to commute to work and back. It was a sunday best car. My vitesse also is a sunday best car.

I was getting fed up just travelling 60 odd miles each way to work in the 75.

I love the 75 I really do but it's not what I bought it for.

Anyway I found a cheap polo sdi on facebook and went and bought it. It has dents all over and has been a cat d in the past.

Also it's a little wayward when you let off the accelerator.

Anyway I picked it up last night.

I haven't taken my own pictures just yet but here it is.

FB_IMG_1489276482048_zpss4q8ompj.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276478213_zpsaevrqz1g.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276474912_zpsymgurwjj.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276487555_zpsfkufzwwe.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276467490_zps5rqxao9m.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276471400_zps07p6mrfp.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276463581_zpshtqg5347.jpg

FB_IMG_1489276459082_zpsfthywrwo.jpg

It was only £350 and my boss said he will buy me a tank of diesel a month so that won't cost me anything to run.

Really happy it's peppy enough for me

Well played, looks decent for the money if a teeny bit soul destroying for spending 2-3 hours a day in.

Wayward handling when letting off the throttle is probably rear wishbone bushes aka console bushes, I'd try and get these done before putting it into daily service.

Thankyou I only do the commute twice a week once there on Monday and once back on Friday or Saturday. I'm happy with it it seems a nice quiet softly sprung drive and so far - I've only has it since last night it's done over 150 miles on less than a quarter of a tank of diesel. Also as the diesel won't cost me anything where as the 75 was £30 a week I will be making a significant saving.

Thanks again Thomas

Those 9N polos have the later set up for the front arm rear bushes -iirc they need a special tool to fit

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/70768-replacing-front-wishbone-bushes-vw-polo-tdi-1-4-2003

Your SDi is an normally aspirated diesel - slow but dependable. As I understand it, you can pull the ecu file off them and tweak for a bit more go, but not to the same level as a TDI.

It may be grim, but sort the front bushes, give it a service and you'll nimble along fairly cheaply from week to week.

Don't bother fixing it if it goes badly wrong, just cut your losses and get another, bangernomics on this one:)

My astra 1.7d has 60bhp, or at least it did when it left the factory, so probably similar power/tonne. It's not fast but because of the torque of the diesel engine it pulls well at town speeds. You only really notice the lack of grunt if you want to accelerate at higher speeds. I know many will not consider a lower powered car but I enjoy driving it.

I'd just put a brick on the accelerator pedal, should keep it at a steady 50mph on the motorway. Until you arrive at a hill or a headwind.

For £350 it's better than walking though...

They're really not that slow, my Fabia SDI more than kept up with fast motorway traffic.

NA diesels are the future*.

Thankyou I only do the commute twice a week once there on Monday and once back on Friday or Saturday. I'm happy with it it seems a nice quiet softly sprung drive and so far - I've only has it since last night it's done over 150 miles on less than a quarter of a tank of diesel. Also as the diesel won't cost me anything where as the 75 was £30 a week I will be making a significant saving.

Thanks again Thomas

Fill it with cherry and save even more - for £350 just chuck them the keys and walk away if you get dipped...

Apart from an SDI what newer stuff has non turbo?

I've got to say it's nice in a Diesel to have the mid range grunt of a turbo. It's no good worrying about 'what if it goes wrong?' If you've paid a few hundred for it, it lasts as long as it lasts, that's the way I've always looked at it.

Apart from an SDI what newer stuff has non turbo?

I've got to say it's nice in a Diesel to have the mid range grunt of a turbo. It's no good worrying about 'what if it goes wrong?' If you've paid a few hundred for it, it lasts as long as it lasts, that's the way I've always looked at it.

They're grunty at low revs, no lag.

The C1/Aygo/107 diesel was non turbo and VAG offered a PD SDI in various models.

Did 140 miles a day in a Felicia with this engine. Soul destroying but utterly dependable.

Not the same engine, this is direct injection with electronic control, more torque and better power delivery.

Thanks again everyone.

I had a fabia years ago with this engine and I must admit back then I was surprised how well it went. Ok it's not going to win races but to get me to work and back it will be perfect.

The insurance is about 330.00 fully comp for me with 0 ncb on this as I am using it on my 75.