NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

I liked it quite a lot. Harris really loved the Alfa, that was clear, and although the supercar challenge was a bit pointless, I enjoyed it. LeBlanc is clearly enjoying himself, which I reckon is the only reason he'd doing it. OK, he's being paid more than £500k per series, but I suspect he'd not get out of bed for that 'cos he's worth around £50m so he clearly doesn't need the money. 

Overall, it's 1287% better than The Grand Tour, and it doesn't have the ho-ho hilarious laddish/racist/sexist undercurrents (delete as applicable) that Clarkson and crew can't seem to leave behind. And honestly, I don't miss them.

(Not that sure about Rory Reid, mind you. Nice guy but he's about as qualified to be on a car show as I am.)

^ This.

Personally, I'd like a motoring show to concentrate on motoring, rather than 'celebrities' and studio audiences. What's to stop them recording the show while out on the actual streets, in actual cars?

That was the format initially devised for TGT, but they decided that some studio stuff is required and I agree.

I also quite like the famous fuckwit in some clapped out shite thingy, but please with show hosts that actually can maintain a conversation with them.

In the last episode the only redeeming bit was David Tennant mangling the rear wing of that shitbox.

Maybe there will be a coup. Woolard and Goffey in combat gear will storm the studio and reclaim the programme in the name of constant speed mpg figures, acceptable oddiment storage and a survey of nylon driving gloves.

My favourite memories from this period are Goffey -

-Throwing the fuse from some Japanese car in the canal cos he didn't like the buzzer "nagging that he'd left the keys in" - evidently it didn't occur to him to take the keys out.

- Going uphill in Italy in a VM-engined dizzler Range Rover and moaning about lack of progress.

I have searched in vain for the latter on facetube.

Off topic but I watched the latest gadget show recently.  It's been revamped - with Craig Charles hosting it and a whooping studio "audience" of about 15 people.  

I felt a bit sorry for all 'em to be honest, it really was a sad effort - and so obviously copied from TG about 8 years ago.

-Throwing the fuse from some Japanese car in the canal cos he didn't like the buzzer "nagging that he'd left the keys in" - evidently it didn't occur to him to take the keys out.

- Going uphill in Italy in a VM-engined dizzler Range Rover and moaning about lack of progress.

And Land Rover's response was to set some diesel speed records, some of which they still hold.

1.jpg

Off topic but I watched the latest gadget show recently. It's been revamped - with Craig Charles hosting it and a whooping studio "audience" of about 15 people.

I felt a bit sorry for all 'em to be honest, it really was a sad effort - and so obviously copied from TG about 8 years ago.

I caught half of this and it was utter shit. Totally the wrong idea and about time Craig Charles stuck to Red Dwarf.

Would be better if they just kept the program the same as it was but made Ortis the main presenter.

I didnt watch it last night, I forgot. Watching it now, although its the david tennant bit so not really paying attention.

Can we do a thing where someone posts up a link to a long old top gear from youtube so we can have an autoshite top gear on a sunday?

Off topic but I watched the latest gadget show recently.  It's been revamped - with Craig Charles hosting it and a whooping studio "audience" of about 15 people.  

Oh that show is true tragedy and has been for some time. I don't even like tech, but I always made time for Gadget Show in the early days, with Jason and Suzi Perry. Suzi leaving was a killer blow, because there was such marvellous chemistry in the team. They got the rather attractive Pollyanna Woodward involved, but she was utterly unconvincing. I seem to recall some karting thing where she was trying to make out that there was something wrong with the steering, but I think it was just her...

My favourite one was when he drove that Cavalier MkII over a pool of burning petrol and didn't even flinch. The man was a pro.

S8KTE9I.jpg

"Let's see what happens when I squirt some brake fluid on to an exhaust manifold"

[fire erupts]

"Yeeeeeees. A merry little blaze."

Cdprn2D.jpg

"Perhaps you get trapped in a car unconscious in a pool of burning petrol - well, my assistant has a pool of burning petrol, I'll try this new extinguisher system out by driving a car straight over some."

Registration number: D54 BAD

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 01 September 2002

MOT

No details held by DVLA

Vehicle details

Vehicle make VAUXHALL Date of first registration August 1986

Year of manufacture 1986

Cylinder capacity (cc) 1598 cc

COâ‚‚Emissions Not available

Fuel type PETROL

Export marker No

Vehicle status Not taxed

Vehicle colour BLUE

Vehicle type approval Not available

Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Revenue weight Not available

Cav had a good innings. Wonder if the subsequent owner knew it had been singed on camera by the BBC's finest jumper aficionado?

Video is here in all its faint absurdity. Viewing in a full suit is preferable.

"But what happens if your unconscious in a pool of burning petrol?"

Also- if the casting director of Die Hard had seen Goffey in that suit and beard combo casually arsoning a cavalier they should have taken note. I recon he'd had made a half decent Hans Gruber. Well maybe his body double in his death scene.

"Gee, I sure hope that wasn't a hostage"

I think there already is a thread but have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-y-FgOikNQ

Check out Ripon's Capri.

I did have a look, although not well, but I more meant that every Sunday, at 8pm,someone posts a nice long video here (or an other thread) so we can have a shiters top gear on a Sunday... That way when people come to this (or an other) thread to moan about the current top gear, they can have some executive relief

Are there many full length episodes on the net?

S8KTE9I.jpg"Let's see what happens when I squirt some brake fluid on to an exhaust manifold"[fire erupts]"Yeeeeeees. A merry little blaze."Cdprn2D.jpg"Perhaps you get trapped in a car unconscious in a pool of burning petrol - well, my assistant has a pool of burning petrol, I'll try this new extinguisher system out by driving a car straight over some." Cav had a good innings. Wonder if the subsequent owner knew it had been singed on camera by the BBC's finest jumper aficionado?Video is here in all its faint absurdity. Viewing in a full suit is preferable.https://youtu.be/F67rIHYdrpg

That is brilliant! "I'll just squirt some petrol on this hot exhaust manifold." Just casual like. In a suit.

A small handful but many get removed by the BBC under copyright grounds.

Whenever I come across one I back it up, for my own excitement

The website finalgear.com was also given matching orders

I was very sad when final gear went, I downloaded all my season packs of new top gear from there! They were excellent torrents

I meanwhile watched the entire Season 1 of TGT.

It's simply a continuation of the TG of yore with the three idiots, so it's funny in the old spirit.

But like already at TG, it suffers from them geezers ignoring the fact that they meanwhile reached giffer age,

so the exhaustion and weariness of them is often clearly visible and causes it to be rather slow paced at times.

It's crystal clear evidence and confirmation of what I said all along - TG in that format had to die anyway

and it did at the right moment. Clarkson came up with that shit and it worked for a decade, so fair play to him.

The big mistake is that the BBC continues it in the exact same format, but with totally unimaginative and hollow

holes in the screen as presenters.

What it really needs is a restart on a fresh sheet of paper. I know, many shiters here would love nothing more

than digging some long deep sixed presenters up, but it just doesn't work that way.

It was absolutely diabolical tonight - after a promising start. Matt LeBlanc is the only one worth watching because he's intelligent, articulate and quietly spoken. You can see that he considers everything he says and he's naturally amusing. As soon as that Harris twat turned up with the (very nice) black Mercedes I inwardly groaned. 'FFS'.

The Golf GTI thing was utterly dreadful. That horse faced Wehrmacht racing driver is every bit as irritating as Rory Fucking Reid - yeah, the seventies sucked you fat ponce and the Golf GTi was not a game changer. It was a good car that became popular, end of.

I gave up and went for a fag 10 mins before the end as I just couldn't stick that never ending drone fest with Tamsin Greig. That just dragged on forever. 

2/10.