NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

I’ll have an accurate answer to this question in a month or so. 
“Electric cars don’t need servicing” is a fallacy though - don’t know about Tesla but other EVs have very ordinary service schedules and costs even if they don’t actually consist of changing oil etc. 
For routine servicing I doubt there is much difference, most of the non drivetrain bits to my eye are pretty much the same.

Suspension might have a harder life coping with the additional weight so I would expect things like bushes and linkages to need changed more frequently

The big savings will come once the cars start to hit the sort of mileages where ICE cars are needing DPFs/DMFs/Turbos/clutches/timing belts etc. The electric motors should and do last forever.

However on balance the cost of replacing batteries is still high, but older Nissan Leafs (leaves?) Seem to hang on to decent battery capacity even on taxis with moon mileage.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

"And costs" isn't quite right, nissan charge about the same but include breakdown cover in the price.  Adhering to the schedule without dealer input is costing me very, very little.

All modern cars are heavy now, so suspension is unlikely to be much more of an issue.  I'm sure the battery is a liability, but the costs are only about comparable with a DMF/turbo issue on a diesel, and I'm not seeing any worrying degradation

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

"And costs" isn't quite right, nissan charge about the same but include breakdown cover in the price.  Adhering to the schedule without dealer input is costing me very, very little.

All modern cars are heavy now, so suspension is unlikely to be much more of an issue.  I'm sure the battery is a liability, but the costs are only about comparable with a DMF/turbo issue on a diesel, and I'm not seeing any worrying degradation

Can you detail what it costs? Interested to learn (and pro-EV, fwiw)

It's mostly in my thread in the moderns section.  It eats front tyres because I drive like a wanker.  I extend brake fluid and coolant to a little bit more than two years because it seems to be okay to do so.  There's a pollen filter.  And although the 12v battery seemed to be screwed, I charged it and topped it up and it's done me another winter.

Costs aside from tyres <£50 over 18k so far.  And it's paying for itself over three years, assuming100% depreciation, just commuting 50 miles a day.

I have used two pairs of front tyres (maybe one and a half, they weren't new when I got them) in that time, £120 a pair

I missed last week, as I was busy, but made the effort this week, to actually watch and give it a fair chance, instead of playing internet or having it on in the background. It was pretty good, a good mix of entertainment and a proper review as well. The bit with the hearse was genuinely entertaining, and I will watch again.  My only real concern is that it does still look like the others bully Chris Harris, I know that there is a fine line between banter and bullying but I was not always convinced that it fell the right side. Perhaps I am a little over sensitive on this.

Incidentally, Jerzy Woking, I was looking at those electric scooters last week, as my moped is "getting a bit" knackered. I have seen some excellent reviews and some not so good ones, so will be interested in your experiences.

I just got around to watching Sunday's effort. I can safely say I am already tired of the laddish forced banter. Harris is a decent presenter, but is the 'comedy' bullying of him starting to make anybody else slightly uncomfortable? In my eyes, he looks fed up with it himself.

The Harris only test-drive was actually a blessed relief, and I can't even remember what car it was now. We also don't get to see the hot-lap summary for the time-setting either.

They're trying too hard and I think it shows.

Possibly two proper journalistic types and one penis would be better, rather than the current otherwayroundary.

About as close as an interperetation of autoshite ethos as you’ll find on the BBC. (Assuming they are not destroyed in the process) 

Flintoff and mcguinness go on a road trip through Borneo in “cheap but rare cars” I think that’s where a Matra bagheera/murena +1 might come into it from seeing a few seconds of footage in a montage during the first episode.