NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

As I have said, I enjoyed the Clarkson era, but not the destruction of classics. In the early years, I stopped watching for some time because they seemed to destroy 2cvs regularly (or I saw the same episode several times!) but it did get better. I wont deny there was destruction, but it did seem to become more about the presenters than "let's smash an old car!" While the Reliant episode IS funny, was it really much funnier than the Peel one, where nothing got destroyed? The destruction seemed to continue to some degree in every version that has followed, including the crash in the last episode.  If things happen, fair enough, but deliberate crashing doesn't really amuse me.

There did seem to be quite a bit of bullying of Chris Harris in this last episode, but I only saw the second half so there may have been some balance. Will have to see if this is "banter" or worse.  I quite liked Rory, although it seems many didn't, and am yet to be convinced by the new team, but I will watch again.

The low point of the clarkson era for me at least was a segment where they bought 2 old cars. Normally my fave sort of segment. He and may bought a couple of mid 2000’s retractable tin lid convertibles- Peugeots I think. They just broke them/ tried to make a point about a certain type of driver and car. It was lazy and it simply wasn’t funny either, just quite cringey. 

1 hour ago, HMC said:

The low point of the clarkson era for me at least was a segment where they bought 2 old cars. Normally my fave sort of segment. He and may bought a couple of mid 2000’s retractable tin lid convertibles- Peugeots I think. They just broke them/ tried to make a point about a certain type of driver and car. It was lazy and it simply wasn’t funny either, just quite cringey. 

That'll be this one then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnGjq9mWSI

Annoyed the hell out of me, not just because I quite fancy Peugeots but also given that Hammond had rated the 407 reasonably well at launch. A very lazy, cringy feature indeed.

11 hours ago, Chris2cv said:

I quite liked Rory, although it seems many didn't, and am yet to be convinced by the new team, but I will watch again.

+1 for Rory here. I thought he was the most likeable/watchable of that particular gang (of the episodes I could actually be arsed to watch).

Not saying that I was a massive fan, but he seemed enthusiastic and pretty genuine in his presenting, just a fairly normal guy (I suppose the Hammond of that version). Harris is obviously the one with the knowledge about cars, (May) where Matt was the "personality". I would have thought it better to have bought in a new third presenter and kept Chris and Rory, instead of what happened. But, time will tell.  

Electric conversions on sportscars is where it’s at this week. Hopefully budget constraints mean old end of life models have been sourced by the production team. Will it be an intellectual challenge or will it get all bash it with a hammer (que laughter) - an interesting acid test of how these segments will be treated with the new line up.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, Yoss said:

and got on a number 26 bus. They boarded a some sort of Alexander Dennis low floor thing

Trident ALX400 to be specific :)  http://www.countrybus.org/TA_Stagecoach/TA_1.htm (it made me feel mighty old when Ian added them to his bus stop!)

pretty much the only low floor bus that I like/I think looks  halfway decent, I might be slightly* influenced by the fact I grew up on them the 26 48 and 55 are literally the 3 local routes here, and where all run by stagecoach with Tridents for a very long time :) (my mum remembers them pre tridents when they were serviced by Volvo Olympians but sadly I dont, I just fondly remember Routemasters on Route 38 and 73)

On 6/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Datsuncog said:

.....tiresome Marina/piano thing seemed particularly unnecessary, and I gather their Grand Tour rehash is pretty much more of the same, with a recent 'highlight' being Hammond taking a hammer to a really clean, low mile Allegro 3 estate that had been enthusiast owned for many years....

Nothing's changed, then.

How much is a basic service on a BMW 320, main competitor to the Tesla S?

It rarely gets pointed out that the Tesla won't need a service in the same sense that the BMW has one. Or does the BBC not want to say that?

My electric scooter service consists of a check on brakes, lights, head and wheel bearings, and tyres. Takes all of 10 minutes, with no parts such as oil and filters to buy.

55 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

It rarely gets pointed out that the Tesla won't need a service in the same sense that the BMW has one. Or does the BBC not want to say that?

My electric scooter service consists of a check on brakes, lights, head and wheel bearings, and tyres. Takes all of 10 minutes, with no parts such as oil and filters to buy.

Ooh...colour me curious.  What's that like to ride?

Have to say last night's episode was quite good for the most part, the road test of the Tesla was actually useful and felt like proper journalism.

Had Clarkson done it, they would have "tested" it by drifting it around a shopping centre whilst being chased by helicopter gunships or suchlike.

But I would have expected nothing less from Chris Harris, I like him and he seems to have a bit of integrity. He has singled out quite rightly that a) electric cars are happening and B) the new Tesla is probably going to be the most important one of this current EV generation because of who it's aimed at and how "normal" it is. He delivered some genuine consumer advice and I feel I know more about the car.

I'm not 100% on McGuiness yet. He's just too showbiz for me and I can't see past that dreadful "take me out" pish.......however on balance he did do Phoenix nights......

Flintoff is the big surprise. Some of the studio bits feel a bit wooden but that will likely polish out over the series. However outside the studio he comes across really likeable, no airs or graces. This is not what I expected, I tuned in convinced I wouldn't warm to him and the opposite is true.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Ooh...colour me curious.  What's that like to ride?

It's God-its a Lifan Eco 3. Definately faster than a 50cc four stroke scooter or bike, both in acceleration and top speed. Mine will get to 38 mph in favourable conditions. I have got 30.miles out of a charge (it dropped to 10% at that mileage). Charging takes about 8 hours which is done every two rides (I do round trips of about 10 miles each time). Takes seconds to plug the charger in.

Main difference is the absence of noise, which on a 50cc bike isn't much either. Running costs are cheap-costs about six pence to charge overnight.

Was thinking of selling it as it wasn't fitting into my plans, but started to use it again now. I like it.

6 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Have to say last night's episode was quite good for the most part, the road test of the Tesla was actually useful and felt like proper journalism.

Had Clarkson done it, they would have "tested" it by drifting it around a shopping centre whilst being chased by helicopter gunships or suchlike.

But I would have expected nothing less from Chris Harris, I like him and he seems to have a bit of integrity. He has singled out quite rightly that a) electric cars are happening and B) the new Tesla is probably going to be the most important one of this current EV generation because of who it's aimed at and how "normal" it is. He delivered some genuine consumer advice and I feel I know more about the car.

I'm not 100% on McGuiness yet. He's just too showbiz for me and I can't see past that dreadful "take me out" pish.......however on balance he did do Phoenix nights......

Flintoff is the big surprise. Some of the studio bits feel a bit wooden but that will likely polish out over the series. However outside the studio he comes across really likeable, no airs or graces. This is not what I expected, I tuned in convinced I wouldn't warm to him and the opposite is true.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more on all points. The showbizzy aspect of mcguinness I agree with, but like at the electric car expo to me it comes across a bit tongue in cheek and not taking himself seriously so to my mind that’s fine

9 minutes ago, HMC said:

Couldn’t agree more on all points. The showbizzy aspect of mcguinness I agree with, but like at the electric car expo to me it comes across a bit tongue in cheek and not taking himself seriously so to my mind that’s fine

I laughed very much at that bit, because we watch (well, used to) take me out alot and he was doing a massive parody of himself in that bit. 

The bit where he was in the caravan and the other two called him was funny too

On 6/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, sutty2006 said:

I’m surprised one of them didn’t end up through the front of a shop window..... or those flimsy barriers with the GP stood behind. Still a good show though 

Thought the same.,  And Flintoff did have a proper off too

14 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I’ll have an accurate answer to this question in a month or so. 

“Electric cars don’t need servicing” is a fallacy though - don’t know about Tesla but other EVs have very ordinary service schedules and costs even if they don’t actually consist of changing oil etc.