NEW New new new New top gear

On 25/03/2021 at 02:15, Dan_ZTT said:

I'd been in my current job about a month when I got told by the big boss to mend the leg of a Bosendorfer belonging to Tori Amos. Shouldn't have googled the value before I started, nervous is an understatement...

One of my uncles was a French polisher before he became a professional footballer and later a fireman. Polishing a grand piano was a nightmare according to him.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:00 AM, BL Bloke said:

I spent quite a bit of the last episode thinking 'how much!!!!!!' at the prices of some of the cars on there. There are obviously a few folk out there with more money than they know what to do with.

Best Bond car? A Bug of course. 😃

It is back to the price of classics generally which, as most of us are aware, are strong. Top end classics were last just about affordable with a reasonable job back in the mid 90s. Bit like houses I guess.

OHMSS Aston DBS was my fav, mainly because it was out of fashion for so long.

I like the current TG as does the wife and 6 and 9-year-old kids. It is just a light entertainment show and works well.

1 hour ago, The_Equalizer said:

I like the current TG as does the wife and 6 and 9-year-old kids. It is just a light entertainment show and works well.

Aye. But that’s not going to stop a load of internet pub bores going online every week and cry-wanking about how they didn’t enjoy the segment where a car they don’t own and probably wouldn’t have bought if presented the chance got a scratch on it, and why isn’t there a weekly segment on IAM standard driving craft. I mean, i feel sorry for them being strapped down and forced to watch this programme they don’t enjoy and that isn’t made for them every single week, don’t get me wrong, i just wish the staff at their care home for the terminally tedious would switch the wifi off occasionally. 

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

Aye. But that’s not going to stop a load of internet pub bores going online every week and cry-wanking about how they didn’t enjoy the segment where a car they don’t own and probably wouldn’t have bought if presented the chance got a scratch on it, and why isn’t there a weekly segment on IAM standard driving craft. I mean, i feel sorry for them being strapped down and forced to watch this programme they don’t enjoy and that isn’t made for them every single week, don’t get me wrong, i just wish the staff at their care home for the terminally tedious would switch the wifi off occasionally. 

Sadly that is the modern world and as you inadvertently pointed out previously people would have just had a moan down the pub or at the other half, kids, cat and/or dog. Now they have literally the whole World to inform. Does the internet now do more harm than good?

Anyway back to TG ...

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear OFF ROAD TRIP

I'm enjoying this series. I was a big fan of the Clarkson era, not impressed with the next generations, but it's slowly developing it's own personality. I've taken quite a while to see the point of Paddy, nothing against him personally just not really seeing what he adds to the show. What I think that it has really needed was time, time for the teams to develop relationships and not feel forced and equally for the audience to get used to them. I don't like the mindless destruction of vehicles, but I didn't in the old days either, in fact I missed several whole years of Clarkson, when they seemed to destroy 2cvs every week, each to their own, but not for me.

I thought that this episode was entertaining, had some good humour and about the right mix of silliness.  No, I'm not likely to buy any of those vehicles, but it was a bit of escapism for an hour, and I'll be back next week.

That said though, surely they could have cut a few minutes tonight for a proper tribute to Sabine, they've had nearly a fortnight! Just replay the bit with the transit if they are struggling!

Last night's episode just felt like an hour long Defender advert to be quite honest. 

And why in the name of Christ on a bendy bus can Land Rover let a car go on sale with a window that doesn't open fully? That little lip that stands proud of the door trim, where you know you're going to hit your funny bone, is an absolute joke.

A four episode series too, pretty miserly. Is that because of COVID-19? Mind you, I’m already starting to tire of it.

I also see little point in having a studio either now. Outdoor or not.

I still feel it’s all horribly forced, or perhaps the dynamics between the three is fundamentally shit.

I watch it as it is a car show and the production values are great, but it feels like it is slowly dying to me.

26 minutes ago, hairnet said:

ive just watched the skiing

OMFG

I wonder how long until some teenager copycat is horribly injured doing the same ? can only be a matter of time (I would probably have done it when I was young and daft, didn't have a car though :( )

1 minute ago, hairnet said:

anyone think the pano shot of harris when he found the key was a a copy of when clarkson did very similar?

Yep.

The Disco looked better doing it too.

2 minutes ago, gm said:

I wonder how long until some teenager copycat is horribly injured doing the same ?  (I would probably have done it when I was young and daft,

it was fairly safe - if he let go he wouldnt hit the car hed only fall over the length of how far he crouched and there was nothing to slide into

apart harris gripping as he stopped - it was reet

young and daft - not for a looooooooong time :P and i think the car surfing / skiing thing has been done by nutters for a long time - seeing it on tv or not :D

9 hours ago, hairnet said:

young and daft - not for a looooooooong time :P and i think the car surfing / skiing thing has been done by nutters for a long time - seeing it on tv or not :D

Yup plenty done stupid things like that for years and still here to tell the tale.

Luckily we grow out of that sort of shenanigans or most do.

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear SPORTS CARS
56 minutes ago, HMC said:

£8k mid life crisis cars

1. tvr chimera 

2. Vauxhall monaro

I am impressed with Flintoffs choice of cars,  from the Cortina to the TVR he has all my favourites, I must have had my mid life crisis at 31 as that is when I bought one exactly like on tonight’s show, I need to get it back on the road next year, I’ve not driven it for a few years.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

£8k mid life crisis cars

1. tvr chimera 

2. Vauxhall monaro

3. mr2 with Ferrari “replica” kit

I’m not sure they all fit that bill, exactly. But it was mostly entertaining viewing, wasn’t it?

I found this week's episode entertaining. They probably could have cut the main feature a bit, but I understand that it must have been difficult getting things done. I believe that Top Gear is really starting to find it's way again. It's about the right mix of sensible and silly for me, there is far less pointless destruction of cars and the team seem to be bonding well. Probably time for the BBC to change everything again!

I've said before, I loved (most of) the Clarkson era, and it took me quite a while to accept the new generations, but I think what it needs most now is to be allowed to develop, let the team carry on without any big changes and let's have a longer series next time. I'll admit, I'm still not 100% convinced by Paddy, but he's harmless, just a bit over the top at times for me.

Incidentally, I criticised them for not doing a proper tribute to Sabine, well it took them a while, but I thought that it was really well done. It was good to see some of her best moments and that nearly every presenter that she worked with, appeared and had kind words to say about her. Bit of a strange choice to put it on Iplayer, as I certainly wouldn't have remembered to watch it on Wednesday on tv (why not after the show, even if on BBC2 or 4?) but I thought that it was a good show. 

I quite liked the way McGuiness took the piss out of himself with that fake Ferrari. It’s exactly the sort of thing middle-aged Paddy would have bought if he’d still been doing the doors at the Phoenix Club. 

Flintoff has got good taste in cars, he’s come a long way since that knackered LeBaron convertible. 

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear