NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

Last night's episode just felt like an hour long Defender advert to be quite honest. 

And why in the name of Christ on a bendy bus can Land Rover let a car go on sale with a window that doesn't open fully? That little lip that stands proud of the door trim, where you know you're going to hit your funny bone, is an absolute joke.

A four episode series too, pretty miserly. Is that because of COVID-19? Mind you, I’m already starting to tire of it.

I also see little point in having a studio either now. Outdoor or not.

I still feel it’s all horribly forced, or perhaps the dynamics between the three is fundamentally shit.

I watch it as it is a car show and the production values are great, but it feels like it is slowly dying to me.

26 minutes ago, hairnet said:

ive just watched the skiing

OMFG

I wonder how long until some teenager copycat is horribly injured doing the same ? can only be a matter of time (I would probably have done it when I was young and daft, didn't have a car though :( )

2 minutes ago, gm said:

I wonder how long until some teenager copycat is horribly injured doing the same ?  (I would probably have done it when I was young and daft,

it was fairly safe - if he let go he wouldnt hit the car hed only fall over the length of how far he crouched and there was nothing to slide into

apart harris gripping as he stopped - it was reet

young and daft - not for a looooooooong time :P and i think the car surfing / skiing thing has been done by nutters for a long time - seeing it on tv or not :D

9 hours ago, hairnet said:

young and daft - not for a looooooooong time :P and i think the car surfing / skiing thing has been done by nutters for a long time - seeing it on tv or not :D

Yup plenty done stupid things like that for years and still here to tell the tale.

Luckily we grow out of that sort of shenanigans or most do.

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear SPORTS CARS
56 minutes ago, HMC said:

£8k mid life crisis cars

1. tvr chimera 

2. Vauxhall monaro

I am impressed with Flintoffs choice of cars,  from the Cortina to the TVR he has all my favourites, I must have had my mid life crisis at 31 as that is when I bought one exactly like on tonight’s show, I need to get it back on the road next year, I’ve not driven it for a few years.

I found this week's episode entertaining. They probably could have cut the main feature a bit, but I understand that it must have been difficult getting things done. I believe that Top Gear is really starting to find it's way again. It's about the right mix of sensible and silly for me, there is far less pointless destruction of cars and the team seem to be bonding well. Probably time for the BBC to change everything again!

I've said before, I loved (most of) the Clarkson era, and it took me quite a while to accept the new generations, but I think what it needs most now is to be allowed to develop, let the team carry on without any big changes and let's have a longer series next time. I'll admit, I'm still not 100% convinced by Paddy, but he's harmless, just a bit over the top at times for me.

Incidentally, I criticised them for not doing a proper tribute to Sabine, well it took them a while, but I thought that it was really well done. It was good to see some of her best moments and that nearly every presenter that she worked with, appeared and had kind words to say about her. Bit of a strange choice to put it on Iplayer, as I certainly wouldn't have remembered to watch it on Wednesday on tv (why not after the show, even if on BBC2 or 4?) but I thought that it was a good show. 

23 hours ago, Chris2cv said:

Incidentally, I criticised them for not doing a proper tribute to Sabine, well it took them a while, but I thought that it was really well done. It was good to see some of her best moments and that nearly every presenter that she worked with, appeared and had kind words to say about her. Bit of a strange choice to put it on Iplayer, as I certainly wouldn't have remembered to watch it on Wednesday on tv (why not after the show, even if on BBC2 or 4?) but I thought that it was a good show. 

Just watched the tribute, and yes, that was worth waiting for. Good that they got some people outside of the TG sphere like Susie Wolff to contribute too.

Incidentally, just checked and the Wednesday broadcast is "except for viewers in Scotland" as the saying goes.

Just watched the 4WD one on catch-up. Car skiing looked proper dodgy 😮.

Somehow I don’t think we’ll be seeing that red G wagon under a Mercedes approved used scheme anytime soon!

It didn’t even make it to the end of the show display, I wonder what McGuiness broke on it...

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Just watched the 4WD one on catch-up. Car skiing looked proper dodgy 😮.

Somehow I don’t think we’ll be seeing that red G wagon under a Mercedes approved used scheme anytime soon!

It didn’t even make it to the end of the show display, I wonder what McGuiness broke on it...

I reckon that G wagon had been wrapped red. I thought I saw a bit of silvery grey when the door was open. 

9 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I'd love to watch it but we're getting River City (a sort of Glasgow Poundland version of Eastenders) on Wednesday when  everyone else is getting it.

Anyone know if it's getting shown again on telly, I hate watching TV shows on a laptop.

I played a waiter on River City years ago and my sister’s garage was used as the murder scene for one of the main characters. Those are the only two episodes I’ve watched! I’m always surprised it isn’t axed.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:06 PM, AnthonyG said:

I quite liked the way McGuiness took the piss out of himself with that fake Ferrari. It’s exactly the sort of thing middle-aged Paddy would have bought if he’d still been doing the doors at the Phoenix Club. 

Flintoff has got good taste in cars, he’s come a long way since that knackered LeBaron convertible. 

Flintoff has been a revelation for me. Wasn't convinced at all when he was announced as a host but the bloke has balls the size of watermelons. That bungee in a car off the side of a dam is one of the most nerve-wracking things they've ever done on Top Gear.

I wonder how much driving training they got? Harris is still obviously in a different league but both Flintoff and McGuinness are very capable of chucking their cars about.