NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

That's definitely the reason for the paint job, trying very hard to be politically correct where Top Gear hasn't been in the past.

Same could probably be said about how the two cars survived relatively unscathed (winced at the thought of the pretty much unique Matra doing that trip) and the odd lack of Allegro hate (oppose that to what that moronic Midlands makeweight did on the Amazon show recently).

It was a fun episode, but might have been better with three rare cars rather than two. 

Perhaps have the two of them with a celeb as the third intrepid car ruiner? I would really have enjoyed watching Bob M on the run with them, rather than the XJ through the posts test. 

Is there less bullying in this one?
None whatsoever.

But when there's two instead of three that's likely to be the case.

So many people are commenting on the bullying that it's likely to be picked up on by those that monitor social media and fed back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, hairnet said:

got as far as 10 mins

antiques roadshow now

Watched a bit of it. Fast forwarded through chunks of the road trip on iPlayer. Still cant really get into Top Gear.
Agree with the comments on the RR 4x4.  Poorly thought out "jumping on the SUV bandwagon".

Im sort of dipping in and out of TG - its not the presenters, its just teh format is now so tired and dated "lets do something wacky with some impractical old cars and then ruin them".

I want a proper car show that talks about proper cars both new and used. A bit like Auto Express but for the telly.

Best bit - Preston got a mention

Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 20.47.40.png

50 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

I want a proper car show that talks about proper cars both new and used. A bit like Auto Express but for the telly.

Best bit - Preston got a mention

Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 20.47.40.png

Nobody else does though, right? That’s why Fifth Gear isn’t a thing any more?

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Exactly.  Populist view is everything is crap and trashable, because credit-rich generation.

3 hours ago, Kiltox said:

It's like people saying they want a 500 cc motorbike that is cheap to buy and service, which will do 80 mpg. So one is produced but doesn't sell, because no one wants one.

Just now, Jerzy Woking said:

It's like people saying they want a 500 cc motorbike that is cheap to buy and service, which will do 80 mpg. So one is produced but doesn't sell, because no one wants one.

Honda CB500Y

But back to TG - sadly this seems to be the case that people no longer want things that make sense. Just trash TV ( like Big Brother , Celebrity Jungle & Love Island - none ow which I watch I hasten to add).

5 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Pretty much. The demand for that is pretty much met by YouTube creators who appeal to a small but dedicated niche of viewers.

TG is aimed at the wider general public, who may have a passing interest in cars, but likely not much further interest. 

The Matra looked pretty knackered before they started. I was amazed it finished given the ground clearance. 

The Allegro got some love, shame they didn’t bring it back to the UK in its ‘jungle spec’ though. Maybe they had to pull all that stuff off to do the rainbow paint job. 

I’ve never watched Grand Tour, if it’s reduced to the poison dwarf destroying old cars with a hammer it’s pretty much run out of road.  I read somewhere it won’t be renewed, which is relief for all concerned I think. 

That RR SUV was hideous, pleased to see Harris give it a verbal kicking. It makes the Bentley one look subtle. Laughed when Harris launched it into a corner - then he gulped as it rearranged itself - ‘that’s when you really notice it’s weight’!!!

18 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The Matra looked pretty knackered before they started. I was amazed it finished given the ground clearance. 

I’ve never watched Grand Tour, if it’s reduced to the poison dwarf destroying old cars with a hammer it’s pretty much run out of road.  I read somewhere it won’t be renewed, which is relief for all concerned I think. 

It did.  Yet he said it cost him £6k...   Bagheera S is a rarity even at home but it's not that special, surely?  Must check on this..

Oh you should if you can, it's well worth the 30-day free trial.  To me, TGT is TG up a couple of notches, from a fresher* angle and in 4k so the camera work is fantastic.  Well, fresh* being something conceived four years ago by men (then) having a combined age of 51...   granted, the hammer section was tired and just for the kids

Season Four is in production and was commissioned before season 3 was even aired...  so don't believe everything the naysayers spout.  The report was the ditching of the studio segments, in favour of the 'specials' travelling the globe, not the canning of the whole series.  Saying that, Both Clarkson and Wilman said over ten years ago (when on TG) that they were running our of ideas and becoming old men.  However  TGT has proved that ideas are still there, to fill all 38 episodes of them.  Either way, nothing will please all, nothing will be perfect and Clarkson himself with hit 60 years of age when series 4 is aired.  

TBH I wasn't cool with the Matra getting a bit ruined.  Yeah it might have been in a state when they got it, but a unique car is unique and making it worse, is making it closer to being extinct.  That's not something that sits well with me.

Still, I guess it's entertaining to the masses..  I'm not sure it'd not have been just as entertaining if they'd used a Montego Countryman and a VW Scirocco MK2 though.  I'm not sure why they had to be "rare" cars and what value that added.

I think the idea was that the Sultan likes rare cars so they would offer him one or both at the end, although the idea apparently  changed after the  discrimination upset. It seemed a little flimsy, but a lot of these ideas are probably best not scrutinised too hard, While I like the Allegro (and nearly owned an estate some years back) it did seem a waste of the Matra when it would obviously struggle to complete a journey it was never meant to do, which at least the Allegro stood a chance of completing. That said, there was a lot less (although not none) pointless destruction which was one thing that always wound me up before.

It wasn't a bad episode, I wont say that I was gripped, but I was entertained. Better without the bullying as well. 

On 7/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, UltraWomble said:

Honda CB500Y

I used to commute to London 5 or 6 days a week at various times of the morning and evening, and saw more Fireblades, GSX-R's, Speed Triples, 1250 Bandits and GS1200's than I ever did a newish CB500Y. Think I saw more Ducati Sportsbikes than CB500Y's (although a few older CB500's were seen). 

Only just heard about this, having given up watching TG pretty much when they lost the Elton John outro music.

But of all the cars to wreck, a Matra fucking Bagheera? It's just trolling isn't it. Especially when you know that 95 per cent of the audience for the programme wouldn't have noticed the difference if they'd done the stunt with a 10-a-penny Vauxhall or something. 

• 5 months later...