NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

11 hours ago, MiniMort said:

I was lucky enough to interview him for my podcast a couple of years ago. There were a load of anecdotes - including rolling a Maestro onto its roof during the launch event, and swearing profusely whilst driving a Renault 5 GT Turbo in torrential rain during the Birmingham Superprix...

These days he often goes camping in his Fiat Ducato, but it sounded as if he's owned a number of vans in recent years... plus a Bedford TK horsebox 

do you have a link to the podcast. sounds like an interesting listen

On 3/25/2023 at 6:58 PM, SiC said:

I'm sure it will have taken him a while to recover. I was probably down playing it a bit when I said she said there was 'nothing wrong with him' (they were the words I remember her using mind you but it was probably relative to the people she normally dealt with) as he still had been in a pretty big crash and irrespective of whether there was anything seriously wrong there will still have been some injuries from such a big bang. 

She was adamant though that all the stuff we were reading in the press was absolute bollocks though and was quite annoyed with it all TBH. 

2 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I'm sure it will have taken him a while to recover. I was probably down playing it a bit when I said she said there was 'nothing wrong with him' (they were the words I remember her using mind you but it was probably relative to the people she normally dealt with) as he still had been in a pretty big crash and irrespective of whether there was anything seriously wrong there will still have been some injuries from such a big bang. 

She was adamant though that all the stuff we were reading in the press was absolute bollocks though and was quite annoyed with it all TBH. 

I do remember that first episode he filmed afterwards and thinking he still looked like he was not fully with it

16 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I do remember that first episode he filmed afterwards and thinking he still looked like he was not fully with it

I'm aware that nobody has actually listened to this as its a reupload from the original podcast and I need to promote this page more... but here you go! Lovely guy.

25 minutes ago, MiniMort said:

I'm aware that nobody has actually listened to this as its a reupload from the original podcast and I need to promote this page more... but here you go! Lovely guy.

Brilliant thanks will give it a listen. I was obsessed with old top gear when I was a kid. I had all the episodes taped on tv from about 1987 to 1991.  Sadly I can only find a couple of the VHS tapes from 1991 

5 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Brilliant thanks will give it a listen. I was obsessed with old top gear when I was a kid. I had all the episodes taped on tv from about 1987 to 1991.  Sadly I can only find a couple of the VHS tapes from 1991 

I wasn't around back then sadly but my grandad taught vehicle repairs at a college and would record episodes so he could show any technical demonstrations to his students. Only found one tape but it had all of the Autumn 1989 series on it - including Mr Goffey himself reviewing the Skoda Favorit, and the Citroen XM!

Thanks for your interest! 

21 minutes ago, MiniMort said:

I wasn't around back then sadly but my grandad taught vehicle repairs at a college and would record episodes so he could show any technical demonstrations to his students. Only found one tape but it had all of the Autumn 1989 series on it - including Mr Goffey himself reviewing the Skoda Favorit, and the Citroen XM!

Thanks for your interest! 

Cool. I have both of those in my fleet. I have seen the Favorit review, I think I remember the XM one too as he was complaining about the foot operated handbrake but i may be wrong 

On 3/24/2023 at 11:17 PM, SiC said:

Morgan 3 wheeler rolled. They weren't wearing helmets from the reports. Significant body and facial injuries.

Doing anything remotely lairy in a Morgan Super3 according to BBC H&S rules would necessitate a skid lid surely? 😧

Worryingly, he used to tweet quite regularly before the accident, but hasn't since.

2 hours ago, Alusilber said:

Worryingly, he used to tweet quite regularly before the accident, but hasn't since.

Reading between the lines from the scant info available I think he's properly hurt. I hope not but I keep seeing the words 'Life changing' :(

I'm surprised that we've not really heard much about what happened with Freddie. It would seem that it must have been pretty bad, and I hope that he is healing well.

I was a big fan of Top Gear for many years, back into the early 90's. It got a lot more entertaining during the Clarkson era. something that I'd make the effort to watch (often several times) rather than the rather dull show that came before. If I, as a proper petrolhead found it dull, there wasn't really much hope of drawing in "normal" people.  The Clarkson era was not as informative or useful, but it was fun escapism.

I was gutted when it got cancelled, (although obviously I understood the reason!) but I gradually accepted the new looks as they came. I like Chris Harris, he knows his stuff and he helped to give a bit for the car fans as well as the general entertainment. I understood that Freddie was the daredevil and could be quite entertaining. I didn't really take to Paddy, but to be fair his Eddie Kidd tribute seemed really genuine even if he was quite irritating at other times. I can't say that I'm gutted to see it being put "on pause" this time. I've watched virtually every recent show, but it's just not felt as special. Something that I'd probably watch if I was in, not something that I'd rush home to watch. It did get a lot better, but teams take time to gel and if it does come back (without Freddie?) then would they have to start the process again?

But who should present it?  I've heard Clarkson rule himself out, but I don't think that he was ever in the frame anyway. I liked him back in the day, but things have moved on. I've heard (possibly wrongly) that Freddie won't come back. I'd keep Chris, but I'd like a team that actually knows about cars. Yes, entertaining and maybe silly too sometimes, but knowledgible too.   

5 hours ago, Chris2cv said:

I'm surprised that we've not really heard much about what happened with Freddie. It would seem that it must have been pretty bad, and I hope that he is healing well.

I was a big fan of Top Gear for many years, back into the early 90's. It got a lot more entertaining during the Clarkson era. something that I'd make the effort to watch (often several times) rather than the rather dull show that came before. If I, as a proper petrolhead found it dull, there wasn't really much hope of drawing in "normal" people.  The Clarkson era was not as informative or useful, but it was fun escapism.

I was gutted when it got cancelled, (although obviously I understood the reason!) but I gradually accepted the new looks as they came. I like Chris Harris, he knows his stuff and he helped to give a bit for the car fans as well as the general entertainment. I understood that Freddie was the daredevil and could be quite entertaining. I didn't really take to Paddy, but to be fair his Eddie Kidd tribute seemed really genuine even if he was quite irritating at other times. I can't say that I'm gutted to see it being put "on pause" this time. I've watched virtually every recent show, but it's just not felt as special. Something that I'd probably watch if I was in, not something that I'd rush home to watch. It did get a lot better, but teams take time to gel and if it does come back (without Freddie?) then would they have to start the process again?

But who should present it?  I've heard Clarkson rule himself out, but I don't think that he was ever in the frame anyway. I liked him back in the day, but things have moved on. I've heard (possibly wrongly) that Freddie won't come back. I'd keep Chris, but I'd like a team that actually knows about cars. Yes, entertaining and maybe silly too sometimes, but knowledgible too.   

Noel Edmonds doesn’t seem to be doing much these days.

• 6 months later...

So is Top Gear finished then?   I know they said the series had stopped but is the show cancelled officially I can't quite figure it out? 

Now that Freddie has had is £9m payout can they move on or will they park it for a few years until the health and safety shadow over the show drifts away?  I think the BBC got off quite lightly at £9m BTW from the looks of his in juries he went down the tarmac on his face and has spent the last year getting put back together.  No doubt encouraged not to use a helmet for filming purposes. Even if he'd had an open face helmet on the I imagine the outcome would have been quite a bit different.

Paddy hosts any old shite so it probably makes little difference to him.

Chris Harris seems to spending a lot of time on working on Collecting cars doing podcasts with his millionaire pals.  I can't see him doing anything but car stuff, will they try to turn Collecting Cars into a media brand?

50 minutes ago, cort16 said:

So is Top Gear finished then?   I know they said the series had stopped but is the show cancelled officially I can't quite figure it out? 

Now that Freddie has had is £9m payout can they move on or will they park it for a few years until the health and safety shadow over the show drifts away?  I think the BBC got off quite lightly at £9m BTW from the looks of his in juries he went down the tarmac on his face and has spent the last year getting put back together.  No doubt encouraged not to use a helmet for filming purposes. Even if he'd had an open face helmet on the I imagine the outcome would have been quite a bit different.

Paddy hosts any old shite so it probably makes little difference to him.

Chris Harris seems to spending a lot of time on working on Collecting cars doing podcasts with his millionaire pals.  I can't see him doing anything but car stuff, will they try to turn Collecting Cars into a media brand?

I think they still get a fair bit of coin from flogging episodes to other countries and merchandise so I reckon if there is a way they can squeeze a few more series out of it they will.

Personally I think it should have been put out of its misery years ago (I found it stale and indulgent even before the original presenters left) 

13 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

Personally I think it should have been put out of its misery years ago (I found it stale and indulgent even before the original presenters left) 

Ditto.
They've continually moved the content to capture the biggest audience - that demographic is/was (imho) mainly the 25 - 35 age group with the odd outlier. I outgrew it years ago. I've dipped in (and out) a few times to both TG and GT but found it incredibly banale.
There's better shite on YouTube.

(altho' I have enjoyed James May's solo offerings, bit like Michael Palin's stuff back in the day)

It is a bit tired but there's a major shortage of car programs on terrestrial TV. That latest attempt on channel 4 is an abominations.

Some of the new TG  and GT stuff was shite but other of it was good to watch just for the production values but the format has been done to death an almost infinitely imitated. 

Good job there's infinite car related shite on youtube.  it must be quite a difficult format to re develop without copying what's been before.  Also channels like carwow are producing short well produced reviews and shows that they can see cater to their audience via the yourtube stats so how does a terrestrial channel compete?

I believe officially they have said it isnt cancelled but theres no news on any more episodes, etc. Its very unlikely that Freddie will come back though. I think the most disappointing thing about the accident with Freddie is it wasnt even a high speed high peril one like chucking a Metro off a dam. He just rolled an open top three wheeler at, reportedly, about 20mph. Obviously that doesnt detract from his injuries which are horrific and shouldnt happen to anyone.

I think the show has its place. Its not likely that Ferrari or Bugatti are going to give their latest hypercar to just anyone but its cool to see them on TV. The show needs a bit of a revamp though and will probably benefit from a longer break. I feel it needs a group of genuinely interesting petrol heads that work well together. Potentially give some youtube stars some screen time. But three mates just pratting around has been done enough now.

On 27/03/2023 at 20:14, wesacosa said:

Cool. I have both of those in my fleet. I have seen the Favorit review, I think I remember the XM one too as he was complaining about the foot operated handbrake but i may be wrong 

The XM foot operated h/b is an awful thing. It must have hurt sales - holding the car in a slow moving traffic jam on a hill is a nightmare - or getting out of a tight parking space on a hill that requires back and forwards maneuvering. What were they thinking? Fine on autos but manuals it's pants - combine that with the squeaky cable operated clutch and it was a fail.

I'd say they should give it a rest for a few years while they think what it is or should be  Times are changing and vehicles too - there is a lot of internet competition these days too.

I think they kept it going because it's a money-maker for the BBC.

Old shows (Come Dancing and Dr Who etc.) have come back reinvented and why not Top Gear? But something needs to be refreshed.

14 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

The show is done and the public will never see the footage which maimed Freddy, everyone who was there will have been legally wrapped up to keep schtum. 

I bet your right the 9 million pay out would cover not talking about it for X years.  I say that as I guess at some point in 10 years or so Freddy is going to come out with a memoir that spills the beans. 

Saying that I'm pretty sure that the crash that hammond had in the Rimac, which broke his leg and ended in a fireball was all NDA'd up. I'm pretty sure I heard an interview with Mate Rimac saying there was only so much he could talk about it. This means we'll not know if it was hammond over cooking it (likely) or it was a fault with the car. 

An injury at work, should result in a health and safety executive investigation. Which means that one simple freedom of information request, and its in the public domain . Is that right? Not that I want anyone to die, but if either presenter had died the inquest would be on public record..Like the bloke who was killed in Noel's houseparty, doing a bungy jump. 

16 minutes ago, New POD said:

An injury at work, should result in a health and safety executive investigation. Which means that one simple freedom of information request, and its in the public domain . Is that right? Not that I want anyone to die, but if either presenter had died the inquest would be on public record..Like the bloke who was killed in Noel's houseparty, doing a bungy jump. 

Apparently there was no case to answer to the health and Safety Executive, the review is being done by a third party for the BBC, which I guess means it doesn't have to go public.

"The Health and Safety Executive found no evidence of serious failings requiring a formal investigation after receiving the results of a BBC Studios investigation into the accident.

However, a health and safety review into procedures more widely on Top Gear is being conducted for BBC Studios by an independent third party."

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/top-gear-stay-off-air-external-health-safety-probe-freddie-flintoff-crash-2570616