NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear KEEP ON TRUCKIN’

I've been quite enjoying this series. The Cop cars bit was pretty good and I thought that the truck driving episode was even better. There was a pretty good mix of silliness with the more sensible bits - keeping it amusing with the right level of facts without getting too dull. 

I wasn't that impressed with last nights episode though. They could probably have made a pretty good episode out of buying a very cheap car and keeping it going, but it was just destruction for the sake of it really. While they were admittedly clearly knackered cars, I couldn't see any point in driving them around a tank course. It would probably have been impossible for most new cars, so there didn't seem any point in trying to get totally unsuitable old cars through! Trying to keep cars going while having a proper adventure - like when they used to cross the deserts etc - seems a lot more interesting to me, than driving through deep water and destroying a  car. To be fair, I didn't like the pointless destruction in the Clarkson era either. 

I've no idea how the viewing figures are doing, but I've certainly not seen the levels of discussion on Facebook etc, that the show used to get. I've barely seen anything about the series even being on - and I follow Top Gear on there!

It’s OK, but I find the humour very forced and unsubtle. Them roaring with fake laughter is off-putting for me personally.

As mentioned before, Harris aside there is no substance behind it and I think it suffers as a result.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

The 6am news mentioned that the latest series of Top Gear has been cancelled, due to Flintoff's accident  last year.

Saw that, also that the production team felt they couldn’t carry on “without him” 

It never stopped them when the old threesome left, nor when Hammond had his crash.

I wonder if this will create friction between the “entertainment” aspect of the show and health and safety considerations? The risk and the jeopardy (real or manufactured) are ingredients of the show. 

3 minutes ago, HMC said:

Saw that, also that the production team felt they couldn’t carry on “without him” 

It never stopped them when the old threesome left, nor when Hammond had his crash.

I wonder if this will create friction between the “entertainment” aspect of the show and health and safety considerations? The risk and the jeopardy (real or manufactured) are ingredients of the show. 

They've been really quiet about what his injuries are.  I wonder if he's suing them and they can't go on until that's resolved.

The old 3 were seasoned car journalists and seemingly knew the limits of their driving capabilities (other than Hammond). I wonder if in retrospect letting out inexperienced drivers and asking them to do complex maneuvers in cars was such a good idea? Some of the stuff they do is well sketchy. 

It sounds like an open cockpit Morgan 3 wheeler flipped and carried on down the track, presumably on its roll bar and the drivers helmet. Sounds nasty, in period Brian Redman had that happen in a formula 5000 race in the 70s, and was seriously hurt, and in the 50s Jean Behra had that happen (in a gordini iirc) he ended up with a prosthetic ear that the used to unnerve team mates that room shared with by detaching it prior to sleep and putting it on his bedside table.

Morgan 3 wheeler rolled. They weren't wearing helmets from the reports. Significant body and facial injuries.

Side note, I walk past Top Gears new production offices when I'm walking into the office at work. They share the same office space as the natural history unit. Always thought that must have an odd vibe with two very different types of popular programs sitting next to each other. One heavily focused on the effects of human activity destroying the climate. The other heavily focused on doing some of the actual destroying. 

I'd be wary of reading too much into this though. 

When Richard Hammond had his crash years ago, my housemate Laura was one of his nurses on the ICU at the hospital he was flown to in Leeds. The only reason he was in there was due to the nature of the crash and in case there were any unseen injuries that needed urgent medical attention in the next 48 hours. 

As it was, there wasn't and she said there was absolutely nothing wrong with him and there was a load of fuss over nothing, so all the hype and stories were just basically free advertising for the show. 

This could be the same. It might not be, could all be genuine but after the Hammond crash years ago I'm slightly sceptical. 

34 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

As it was, there wasn't and she said there was absolutely nothing wrong with him and there was a load of fuss over nothing, so all the hype and stories were just basically free advertising for the show. 

Would a brain injury show up in ICU though? I imagine they'll shove someone through the MRI to check but that won't necessarily show anything up?

He was in hospital for six months. I'd have thought he'd not been in there that long if there was not something wrong.

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Would a brain injury show up in ICU though? I imagine they'll shove someone through the MRI to check but that won't necessarily show anything up?

He was in hospital for six months. I'd have thought he'd not been in there that long if there was not something wrong.

Yeah, it won't necessarily show up so thats why they just kept him under observation to ensure he didn't show any signs of anything. They then transferred him to somewhere else a few days later once the period where symptoms of something serous would be expected to have shown themselves had passed. 

Where did you get 6 months in hospital from? I did google it and couldn't find anything but saw that in 2022 he's now saying he was in a coma for 2 weeks. 🤣 There are articles showing him walking about just a few days afterwards. 

Maybe it did damage to his brain after all. 😂

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear WHAT NEXT?
1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Yeah, it won't necessarily show up so thats why they just kept him under observation to ensure he didn't show any signs of anything. They then transferred him to somewhere else a few days later once the period where symptoms of something serous would be expected to have shown themselves had passed. 

Where did you get 6 months in hospital from? I did google it and couldn't find anything but saw that in 2022 he's now saying he was in a coma for 2 weeks. 🤣 There are articles showing him walking about just a few days afterwards. 

Maybe it did damage to his brain after all. 😂

Turns out it was said it could take six months

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2006/sep/28/broadcasting.bbc1

9 hours ago, MiniMort said:

Not sure if anyone's following Chris Goffey on Twitter but sadly he suspects it means the segment they did with a tonne of the original shows hosts will be axed too. 

Devastating as apparently that featured Angela Rippon driving a De Tomaso Pantera! 

Fucking hell is he still alive, he looked about sixty in the 80’s

10 hours ago, MiniMort said:

Not sure if anyone's following Chris Goffey on Twitter but sadly he suspects it means the segment they did with a tonne of the original shows hosts will be axed too. 

Devastating as apparently that featured Angela Rippon driving a De Tomaso Pantera! 

He is worth following, occasionally pops up with an anecdote, like someone getting pissed at a car launch free bar and spewing up in a press Alfa or something.

16 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

He is worth following, occasionally pops up with an anecdote, like someone getting pissed at a car launch free bar and spewing up in a press Alfa or something.

Brilliant! Probably unfair but The amount of inches George Bishop devoted to to food and drink at junkets immediately makes me think of him.

12 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I was lucky enough to interview him for my podcast a couple of years ago. There were a load of anecdotes - including rolling a Maestro onto its roof during the launch event, and swearing profusely whilst driving a Renault 5 GT Turbo in torrential rain during the Birmingham Superprix...

These days he often goes camping in his Fiat Ducato, but it sounded as if he's owned a number of vans in recent years... plus a Bedford TK horsebox 

12 hours ago, HMC said:

Brilliant! Probably unfair but The amount of inches George Bishop devoted to to food and drink at junkets immediately makes me think of him.

For more information I'd highly recommend How To Be A Motoring Journalist by Roy Lanchester (fictional character created by former Top Gear producer Richard Porter)