NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

5 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Two episodes. Two T reg MK4 Cortinas!

I have watched it for two weeks in a row now, mainly for this reason. It seems to have improved immeasurably. I may continue watching, it is far better than it has been for several years even if they do not continue the Cortina content. The blue L used  in today’s episode was sold at the last ACA.

Noticed quite a lot of people complaining about the production team chopping up R11s for a bit of a laugh. I think it is a bit of a shame because they looked like pretty solid, usable classics but at least they were French imports rather than much more valuable RHD ones

As much as I enjoyed that Alfa, I’m growing weary of Paddy and to a lesser extent, Freddie. The fact they are not from a motoring journalistic background really dulls their impact. What Paddy thinks of a tremendously expensive Ferrari contains no context. Meaningless to me.

His overt nature and confidence is at odds with his knowledge. I suppose Flintoff is at least a fairly humble chap in comparison.

Im sure I’m wrong, but I also don’t fully believe those two are actually at the wheel at certain points of some of the sketches. Perhaps I’m just too sceptical.

Even though Alfa holics have being doing it for years I think the mad money the Singer Porsches are making have opened the door to hand crafted cars at crazy pricing. I think a lot of the body is carbon and the suspension bits are made of titanium.

I've enjoyed the series so far. That wall of death they did last series, fuck me you wouldn;t have got me within 100ft of that.

This is the problem with lockdown, people have more to moan about.

Those chopped Renault 11's are hardly in the realms of car butchery that has happened to the likes of the Morris Marina, Rover SD1, Toyota Hilux. It was a homage to, arguably, one of the most iconic scenes in any film of the làst 100 years.

While the Alfa was pure sex, even at £325k, can we talk about that absolutely ridiculous Aston Martin? For £3,000,000 you can own an Aston Martin that can't be driven on the roads, that comes complete with toy guns you'd find in Poundland? That, for me, was the most offensive thing about last night's Top Gear.

27 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

This is the problem with lockdown, people have more to moan about.

Those chopped Renault 11's are hardly in the realms of car butchery that has happened to the likes of the Morris Marina, Rover SD1, Toyota Hilux. It was a homage to, arguably, one of the most iconic scenes in any film of the làst 100 years.

While the Alfa was pure sex, even at £325k, can we talk about that absolutely ridiculous Aston Martin? For £3,000,000 you can own an Aston Martin that can't be driven on the roads, that comes complete with toy guns you'd find in Poundland? That, for me, was the most offensive thing about last night's Top Gear.

That does a seem a lot. I think you can buy a a restored and upgraded DB5 for a million quid. Does it really cost an extra 2 million to fit a rotating number plate?

I’m pretty sure most of those DB5s will be road registered , somewhere.  I was talking to somebody at AM Works when they were building the last ‘Cynical  exploitation of Billionaires’  project, the DB4GT. He said they fully expect them to have “ some pretty obscure and exotic” number plates on them when they come back in for a service.

I find the way Aston Martin operate fairly embarrassing, well up until Stroll bought them. Every high value manufacturer sells a car based on a heritage.

Ferrari go "we've been building race cars for years and we are very good at it".

Lamborghini go "we build outrageous hypercars because we are too good for Ferrari".

Aston Martin go "a fictional character drives our cars, mostly, if you ignore Pierce Brosnan. Here's a DB5 with toy guns on it for £3 million".

I mean come on, they're better than that.

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’m pretty sure most of those DB5s will be road registered , somewhere.  I was talking to somebody at AM Works when they were building the last ‘Cynical  exploitation of Billionaires’  project, the DB4GT. He said they fully expect them to have “ some pretty obscure and exotic” number plates on them when they come back in for a service.

Possibly Gulf State / Saudi plates, or Russian ones?

14 hours ago, MiniMort said:

Noticed quite a lot of people complaining about the production team chopping up R11s for a bit of a laugh. I think it is a bit of a shame because they looked like pretty solid, usable classics but at least they were French imports rather than much more valuable RHD ones

Yeah, I STILL can't get annoyed by it.  At all.  Heaven KNOWS I've tried, but I just can't.

They were all cars available on the open market.  Buyer and seller agreed a price, the transaction was complete.  Anyone who wants to protect the entire species of Renault 11s or anything else must cough up the money and buy them all, or not.  That is the absolute simplicity of it.

Again, I've focussed some time and energy trying to get worked up about pianos falling on Morris Marinas.  Nothing.  I can't.  If you buy them instead of someone else, the Pianos can not fall on them.

I didn't watch last night's episode but I did watch DAD cars and thought it was a lovely, tender, moving piece of televisual entertainment.  The BMW was bought from a guy who I seem to remember meeting years ago at a car thing in the East of England.  They'd been looking for one for A YEAR and bought the best they could for £many.  Everyone's a winner in situations like that.  Seller and buyer and viewer.

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I've focussed some time and energy trying to get worked up about pianos falling on Morris Marinas.  Nothing.  I can't

I can. The Renaults were at least used for something, as were the Panda and MGF made into limos. Destruction for cheap laffs is bollocks, especially as the joke was decades out of date. See also Hammond smashing up the Allegro estate on GT. I'm glad TG have moved away from that and back to enjoying cars for what they are, be it a Cortina or a Ferarri

1 minute ago, bunglebus said:

I can. The Renaults were at least used for something, as were the Panda and MGF made into limos. Destruction for cheap laffs is bollocks, especially as the joke was decades out of date. See also Hammond smashing up the Allegro estate on GT. I'm glad TG have moved away from that and back to enjoying cars for what they are, be it a Cortina or a Ferarri

The YT lass with the white BOP Marina continues to receive the occasional joke* on twitter about how her car should have had a piano dropped onto it. Herpes would be more amusing. 

1 minute ago, bunglebus said:

Destruction for cheap laffs is bollocks, 

It's not a cheap laugh though is it?  They spent hundreds of pounds on the car - and the show made the BBC Fifty Million Pounds a YEAR.

And why was the joke decades old?  Again, I've never really understood people getting overly protective of cars they didn't design, didn't build, and didn't participate in at all?  It's strangely tribal!  I think the design of this monitor that I'm looking at is quite nice, and minimalist.  But if someone was to say "It's shit, it looks dated and there are better available" I'd not become so angry that I should foam at the mouth.

I just find it quite odd.

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

why was the joke decades old? 

Because they had a long running "BL cars are shit" thing going on. Probably funny in the 80s.

The other reason it annoys me is that if a car has survived 30-40 years, why destroy it? Doesn't matter if it's shit, someone would have appreciated it. Squash a Juke or a something instead

Just now, bunglebus said:

Because they had a long running "BL cars are shit" thing going on. Probably funny in the 80s

They were.  They are.  

There are VANISHINGLY small examples of when BMH, BLMC, British Leyland, Leyland Cars, Austin Rover Group, MG Rover or anyone other name that I've forgotten had a genuinely brilliant car on their hands.  When they did they often launched with huge flaws and/or didn't turn a profit.

I own one.  But I don't deny they are shit.  I just get hugely frustrated by the "OH WELL WE MUST ADOPT THE OPPOSITE STANCE TO CLARKSON LOL".  You can still be a fan of shit old cars AND acknowledge them as such.

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Again, I've focussed some time and energy trying to get worked up about pianos falling on Morris Marinas. 

My friend saved the last one Clarkson dropped a piano on, the black one that they used for The Grand Tour.

So they don't all die.