NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

I think the format and series is now as good as it's ever been. The three chaps are clearly good mates and give a shit about one another, so the banter and commentary doesn't feel forced or awkward. They may be recycling some old formulas in terms of musical cars but to be fair who wouldn't want to give that a go? You could argue that any car they picked to do something physical would be better used on a school run or whatever...fact is the cars they have found were for sale or available at the time and anyone who bought them with cash monies could have done whatever they wanted with them.

Better for the RS to get a last hurrah on TV, even if it's damaged in the process, than to be added to a drive ornament collection of Focuses as a doner or something.

:-D

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We have to remember that these cars were write offs and not particularly rare cars. The only one really is the Focus RS. Even that though will be never big bucks desirable as it has had a Cat marker against it. 

Realistically the cars would have very likely been broken up for spares, given their low value and that the parts value on them are worth far more. 

29 minutes ago, SiC said:

We have to remember that these cars were write offs and not particularly rare cars

I have to agree, if a programme is going to smash things up (not my cup of tea, but each to their own) then I'd much prefer to see them doing it with cars that were write-offs anyway. 

A Focus that's been pulled out of a scrapyard getting bashed up is much less heartbreaking that watching a Matra Bagheera get run into the ground or a minty Marina have a piano dropped on it. It feels like a step in a positive direction. 

It's not so simple as watch or don't watch, this is being funded by your license fee which complicates matters.

I don't mind new new TG....and I quite like Chris Harris. Flintoff I've warmed to but the other lad, I've never been mad keen on him.

The lambo was an accident, they didn't set out to crash it so fair enough, and I'm sure the owner was reimbursed.....the focus? Well it was a write off to begin with but I think the owners club are a bit miffed that a collective effort was made to supply bits to restore it......only for it to be wrecked again. But again most of the rare bits were still intact after the wall of death so.......

On balance I love the F40 and XJ220, and seeing them on the telly box made me happy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We are a broad church here. Room for everone.

The thing I do like about these programmes is that the show old cars to be capable and enjoyable and useable.  Something to use and have an adventure in.

I use all my cars - Citroen AX driven to Northern Spain, 83 Landcruiser all over France, 83 Renault Master van used all over N. France,  aircooled Citroen Visa on French plates Rouen to London and back in a couple of days . Nothing spectacular, modest adventures  but better than parking them in a field and sitting in a deck chair at a show for me. 

Destruction not my thing - but getting any car show on TV must be a struggle. 

I enjoyed the episode. I don't like the destruction  of cars for the sake of it, but as has been said, they were all write offs anyway.  I've never really liked this, going back into the Clarkson era, accidents are fair enough (any idea how bad the Diabolo was? as it looked rather expensive!) but destroying the Marinas and various unusual cars did nothing for me.  Getting  back to this show, I actually thought that the wall of death was really entertaining and will make a bit more effort to see the rest of the series, having only seen about 10 minutes of last week.

I like Chris Harris, the show needs him for a bit of actual content, as I think that it would probably not be my thing with out him. I've warmed to Freddie, he doesn't strike me as particularly knowledgeable about cars (much as I have no interest in cricket) but always seems keen to have a go and take some risks.  Paddy, I'm not convinced by. I don't really see what he brings to the show, not particularly funny, not particularly a car man. But maybe he'll grown on me?

I very much doubt either the Maserati or the Cayman would ever have returned to the road anyway.

As for the Ford Focus - presumably the owners club would have been well aware of it being available via the salvage yard if it was that rare, and none of them bought it at that point.

The bit about the Maserati bits being sold to repair the Focus is nonsense, the whole of the Maser’s bodywork was mullered by the end of the musical parking thing. And the work on the Focus would probably have cost quite a bit anyway (unless it was all filler, blow over and random ST bits, which it sounds a bit like it was).

As for the Lamborghini, I’m slightly surprised whoever does the risk assessment didn’t notice the MoT advisory for the tyre thing. Surprised they let him out in it like that - particularly given the speed test at the airfield, which presumably it would have taken part in.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

It's not so simple as watch or don't watch, this is being funded by your license fee which complicates matters.

Nitpicking slightly but it's not quite, I think generally big programs like Top Gear make a net profit for the BBC out of licensing for broadcast in other countries, DVD sales, repeats on Dave, the magazine, Stig keyrings etc etc. The licence fee is more necessary to cover the legal obligation stuff like news, local radio or welsh language soap operas. 

I enjoyed the latest episode anyway, all good fun. Loved seeing the XJ220, had a model one of those when I was a kid and to me it's still the ultimate supercar.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

The lambo was an accident, they didn't set out to crash it so fair enough, and I'm sure the owner was reimbursed.....the focus? Well it was a write off to begin with but I think the owners club are a bit miffed that a collective effort was made to supply bits to restore it......only for it to be wrecked again. But again most of the rare bits were still intact after the wall of death so.......

More fool them, what did they expect to have happen? A car fixed up for Top Gear to come back unscathed? 

16 hours ago, Dan_ZTT said:

I enjoyed the latest episode anyway, all good fun. Loved seeing the XJ220, had a model one of those when I was a kid and to me it's still the ultimate supercar.

You might enjoy what I've just come across during my garage clear out then.

SAM_5036.JPG

SAM_5037.JPG

Nitpicking slightly but it's not quite, I think generally big programs like Top Gear make a net profit for the BBC out of licensing for broadcast in other countries, DVD sales, repeats on Dave, the magazine, Stig keyrings etc etc. The licence fee is more necessary to cover the legal obligation stuff like news, local radio or welsh language soap operas. 
I had a maisto model, I think it was 1/24. My brother wrecked it on me. Sad times. Must have a look on eBay.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

On 10/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, Wilko220 said:

I have to agree, if a programme is going to smash things up (not my cup of tea, but each to their own) then I'd much prefer to see them doing it with cars that were write-offs anyway. 

A Focus that's been pulled out of a scrapyard getting bashed up is much less heartbreaking that watching a Matra Bagheera get run into the ground or a minty Marina have a piano dropped on it. It feels like a step in a positive direction. 

Indeed. Wanton destruction never seems to sit well even if the car wasn't held in high regard by the masses.  

17 hours ago, tul66 said:

You might enjoy what I've just come across during my garage clear out then.

SAM_5036.JPG

SAM_5037.JPG

If anyone wants this, PM me and I'll stick it in the post. Just stick a donation into the pot for the Forum running costs.

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new New top gear RENTAL CARS