NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

21 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Wife was really annoyed last night as was watching it with me and got annoyed at herself for laughing at the Dominic Cummings gag. 

Has she not seen Paddy's little song about him?

I’ll not keep talking about taking Nige to Dunsfold, but one relevant thing we did notice - but not understand at the time ( we didn’t then know the Agenda) was the absolute swarms of Italian speaking mechanics, who all inspected the adjacent  60’s Ferrari. There literally seemed dozens of them.  Now I know they were there for the road test.       There were 2 Ferrari’s back stage -  1 standard  for  the  stage, 1 altered for track.  I’ll wager “ Stig” is as a factory driver, too.

Presumably,  next week  (5 episodes in total) they each ‘ buy’ an accident damaged sports  cars, enact several challenges culminating in the Alexander Palace wheel of death.  It’s then clear why they needed a reason to strip Flintoffs Quattroporte right  down,  because of weight! . 

Oh, and Paddy does indeed roll a customers car, during a road test! 

Although I think “company car” was a fairly loose term; or at least aimed a few rungs above the  Toner salesmen in the modern equivalent of a maestro clubman . I presume they were dear- nobody mentioned sticker price.

3 minutes ago, HMC said:

Although I think “company car” was a fairly loose term; or at least aimed a few rungs above the  Toner salesmen in the modern equivalent of a maestro clubman . I presume they were dear- nobody mentioned sticker price.

I think it was mentioned the BMW being 'a nick under 50k'

• HMC changed the title to NEW New new new top gear (BBC 1 8pm)
2 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

From memory of the news in the summer , the 3 write offs won’t be the only crashed sports car in tonight’s episode.

True! We are averaging a not scripted crash every episode so far this series.

Those Diabolos are notorious for being a right handful and a bit of a widow maker. He simply didn't respect it enough when he floored it in the wet. Too used to letting the computer keep things in check. On a 30 year old supercar or even just high performance 30yr old car, you're on your own if you dick about like that. 

Turning that Quattroporte into a Mad Maxesque buggy probably cost as much as a new one.

Interesting that there’s still accent snobbery out there, Top Gear is still made by the BBC which is the most Southern organisation it’s possible to find, regardless of if a programme is made in White City or Salford, the heart of the beast resides in Broadcasting House.  Also they don’t come much more Southern than Monkey Harris, posh former Public SchoolBoy , racing driver .

I personally find the current TG lineup very entertaining, especially as I’m allowed to watch it live on the big telly because MrsN enjoys it too, that’s never happened before.

11 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

May 2020

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

What's more I think the car had been off the road a bit before this. I always wonder what drives a person to use a small hatchback with old plastic tyres, I have no idea what planet the owner of a 30 year old supercar is on when they think it's OK to have less than perfect tyres on a widow maker.

I think the Quadraporte was stripped for parts to pay for the Ford Focus, which is a silly use of funds. They'd have been well to put that Focus in the crusher and save the Maserati. 

29 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

I think the Quadraporte was stripped for parts to pay for the Ford Focus, which is a silly use of funds. They'd have been well to put that Focus in the crusher and save the Maserati. 

This is prime time BBC One. There would have been the budget to fix that Maserati if they wanted to. Also I'd put money on that Maserati gearbox being fucked and possibly who heap of warning lights on too. 

I suspect that it was stripped out as it was over the calculated design weight limit for the Wall of Death. Just that's not as exciting to say on the TV. 

I wasn't aware that the new series had started, butI watched last nights after seeing the thread on here and remembering that McGuiness had smashed up a Diablo.

F40, VMAX XJ220, automotive musical chairs, a poor FRS being smashed to bits and the bonus, Wall of Death - that was pretty damn serious - made for the best episode in a long, long time. IMO.

Just watched it on eye player, not a supercar guy but I absolutely love the Jag XJ220, heart was going a bit watching Flintoff get it to 200.

Hated the parking space challenge, too much like the old Top Gear smashing stuff up for no reason, especially the Focus. That's a special car and deserved better.

Smashing up cars for TV car programs is the nature of the beast.

I can remember watching an episode of Fifth Gear where Vicki Butler-Henderson really didn't want to hit an old Mercedes estate with a hammer and looked both horrified and remorseful after the first tap. 

I don't think I'd be happy to do that either (hit the car or VBH)

Having seen many Wall of Death displays all over the world done with bikes and buggies, that the first time I've seen it done with road going cars. Mental.

42 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Just watched it on eye player, not a supercar guy but I absolutely love the Jag XJ220, heart was going a bit watching Flintoff get it to 200.

Hated the parking space challenge, too much like the old Top Gear smashing stuff up for no reason, especially the Focus. That's a special car and deserved better.

The Focus was restored though, looked to be pretty well done too. The 4g wall of death test was a proper shakedown for any work done , as could be seen by the Cayman collapsing. The Maserati and to a lesser extent the Cayman were only suitable for breaking  anyway. There’s plenty of fucked un-crashed Quattroportes  about if you want throw good money after bad on a big beautiful Italian. Presumably that one will give its gearbox to another and end up as a static display in the studio.

1 minute ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The Focus was restored though, looked to be pretty well done too. The 4g wall of death test was a proper shakedown for any work done , as could be seen by the Cayman collapsing. The Maserati and to a lesser extent the Cayman were only suitable for breaking  anyway. There’s plenty of fucked un-crashed Quattroportes  about if you want throw good money after bad on a big beautiful Italian. Presumably that one will give its gearbox to another and end up as a static display in the studio.

I assumed the gearbox was fucked, when it arrived in reverse. 😄