NEW New new new New top gear ON HOLD, RIP?

HMC

Honda E.In a market awash with gopping over styled shit it's refreshing to see a clean crisp simple design that actually looks like a car.The dash is totally appalling  tho'.As for the programme,the highlight for me was Harris calling McGuiness a massive ring piece.Accurate and to the point.

Only saw the last 25 mins, but enjoyed it. I don’t mind Paddy at all, not sure why all the hatred, maybe it’s because of other stuff gameshows etc he does. I’ve never actually seen him in anything else since Max and Paddy.

Chris Harris adds some legitimacy to the proceedings , being a proper car journalist, as was Clarkson and even May, of course.

Not sure where Flintoff fits in, he’s basically doing the same shtick that served him well on League of Their Own, he’s amusing and likeable but I can’t help feeling there’s  a hint of bullying just under the surface.

My verdict : Best Top Gear series since about  2012, or when Clarkson and co. got boring.

This series is the first one I've watched properly since the first Chris Evans series. Personally, for me, Matthew The White was the problem more so than Evans. Evans tried too hard, but he tried. 

Anyway, last episode was the weakest of the series. McGuinness is grating on me now as he's just a chav in denial. Constantly going for Ford's, and is far too complimentary about Vauxhall.

I watch without fail ,because there are cars in it. Heck, I even sit through Bullit just to see a black Dodge Charger. I do really like the serious bits- Stirling Moss,  group B, etc. Wish they would make full length programmes like this. Anyone listen to the Past Gas podcast? Same thing... brilliant subjects presented by utter tits..

I've stopped watching all motoring programmes on the telly. They just irritate. I've also stopped watching all 'factual' stuff too. Abandonded engineering did it for me, interesting idea & subjects, but presented by idiots for idiots. Tease lead throughout, endless recapping... After sitting through one episode, I just listened to what they were going to tell me about & looked it up on the intergoogle. Everything is available there & then without the need for 'and after the break we'll tell you more about the bit we mentioned before the last fucking break'.

I just caught up and watched the latest episode.

Managed five minutes of the first section with the ice cream van before forwarding.

Electric car bit was OKish, but not great.

Skipped the entire second section of the ice cream van.

I will still watch it, but I find much of the 'humour' forced and simply not funny. I don't think the presenters characters work together at all.

For controversy purposes, I think Tim and Fuzz would work with better with Harris - a quiet motorsport type, an enthusiastic (oddly likeable) twat and a humble no-nonsense straight man.

My 9-year old daughter sat through it giggling.  She has no interest in cars (at all!) but she does enjoy this new series

Which might indicate the demographic they are going for, what with all the larking about and shooting paint from Ice Cream vans

A chat today with decidedly non car people seems to suggest they like the new trio and find it very watchable. Interesting, that last episode was one of the least car enthusiasty and most general entertainmenty TG shows I can remember.

I thought that the Mr Nippy section was good, but at least ten minutes too long. It was quite amusing, but seemed to be the same jokes again and again with very little of any substance. Similarly, the electric car bit was interesting, but could have been quite a bit shorter.  It felt like they had spent the budget on the ice cream van, so were dragging it out, where they could probably have got another feature in quite easily.

That said, I do feel that the series has improved, if they build on this it , it should continue to do so, but if they change things again it could decline again.

5 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

This series is the first one I've watched properly since the first Chris Evans series. Personally, for me, Matthew The White was the problem more so than Evans. Evans tried too hard, but he tried. 

Anyway, last episode was the weakest of the series. McGuinness is grating on me now as he's just a chav in denial. 

I felt that while Chris Evans could be annoying, he was set up  to fail in that series. There were always going to be comparisons to the previous series and I felt that he was an easy sacrifice and I dare say well rewarded for it.   I don't think that Matt was any better, but the blame was all put on Chris Evans.  With Paddy, I don't have any particular problem, I just don't really see what he adds to the show.

They should have let Chris Evans run with it, but in his own style. That would have been great. Am I the only person who likes him? Would also bring in that ‘non car’ audience they need. 

Got pissed up with Harris once, he’s really lovely in person, what you see on screen is him being an actor for the role on telly. I feel that, inside, he’s probably crying. He’s better than this.

Anyway, it was 5 minutes of telly dragged out way, way too far. Back to YouTube for me.

Well I enjoyed it. CF ice cream van was  great other than the master cylinder poking through the bonnet.

I don't like modern cars (see signature) but that Honda E is a nice looking thing, wish they'd gone minimalist on the dashboard though, I don't know why everything has to have a massive iPad instead of instruments and controls now.

I also agree the Bini wheels are rank

2 hours ago, motorpunk said:

They should have let Chris Evans run with it, but in his own style. That would have been great. Am I the only person who likes him? Would also bring in that ‘non car’ audience they need. 

Got pissed up with Harris once, he’s really lovely in person, what you see on screen is him being an actor for the role on telly. I feel that, inside, he’s probably crying. He’s better than this.

Anyway, it was 5 minutes of telly dragged out way, way too far. Back to YouTube for me.

No I agree as well re Chris Evans. Given a bit of space and time it could have evolved nicely. He’s a decent broadcaster IMO and good at surrounding himself with decent talent. Sadly they expected instant results, which was unrealistic even with the original bunch.

This time round they seem more content to let it run and see. It’s deffo shifting more and more to lite entertainment with primarily  motoring journalists Now in the minority.

I found the three electric hatchbacks more interesting than the ice cream van and would have preferred a longer segment of semi-serious review/testing culminating in that challenge than a double whammy of ice cream van.

If that Corsa really does have a 200 mile range then that's impressive.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

Hope this isn’t the Renault 11 that was on here with a knackered auto box 😥

looks like they’ve cut up a few of them judging by the trailer

D8CF50DE-A741-4451-9D83-E9451BCD9B17.png

Don't fret guys it's LHD and there are still loads over in frenchland for much cheapness