My first thread...Silvio the Tipo (Maserati GT Sportback).

richbraith

Okay, I took this out to try and fall back in love with it this morning.  And I've failed.  It's just aggravating me.  So I've offered it to crapcarcollector again.  I'm just going to drive my properly reliable 19 instead, as it's been sat in the garage since November just being started every 3 weeks and has never failed me yet.

The Tipo just needs that matrix fixing properly by someone who can do it, which isn't me.  It's too good to just be run as it is.  I've even sort of washed it, and put enough juice in it would get someone 30 miles to the local supermarket rather than the more expensive garage 3 miles away.  I've dehumidified it slightly by leaving the window down to (the one that works).

Well glad this is staying in the AS fold got me thinking now about a Tipo I heard through a old school friend is sitting unloved on someone driveway must find out more! 

Good luck with the 19 had two of these a J reg GTD and a J reg GTS-X another car I like to have again.  :-D

I'm pleased it's staying in here too, it has a better chance of survival :)

I'll start the 19 on Wednesday when I have a full day off and can switch insurance etc...it does this eventually when it's been standing for a while.  Tax is paid for March on the Tipo so may as well leave it on as I think crapcarcollector is going to drive it home.

Well glad this is staying in the AS fold got me thinking now about a Tipo I heard through a old school friend is sitting unloved on someone driveway must find out more! 

Good luck with the 19 had two of these a J reg GTD and a J reg GTS-X another car I like to have again.  :-D

Liking the mixture of an Uno and a Cav (Y)

Liking the mixture of an Uno and a Cav (Y)

Thanks!

The Uno is my brothers mainly but get to share it. We now have another Uno after buying last year a mk2 93 1.1 ies with only 37,000 miles and 1 owner that the rest of the family doesn't know about yet. 

My Cavalier just been put back on the road finally after a 2 year rest due to it failing the Mot on some major rot. I just need to get the cash together for some paintwork now as it a mix of metallic paint with matt black patches. 

Burnside - the Cav I showed you a pic of on Saturday I bought from richbraith.

He's a serial Cav licker.

That Cav saloon does look really tidy JohnK and richbraith that MK2 CD looks fantastic, clearly a man of taste!

I nearly brought a late MK2 CD hatch myself about 12 years ago but the insurance costs put a stop to it sadly.

I owned that for a couple of years...was my wedding car.  Now in south west Ireland.  I loved it but oddly enough I got over missing it, it was one of those cars that was well known before I bought it and it always felt like someone else's and I was just looking after it.  

When I get another mk2 it will be a more basic spec one, estate or otherwise any with a 4 speed box.

Do slightly regret selling my mk3 to JohnK but it was a bit of a panic sell and he was happy to oblige, besides I have first dibs back if he ever moves it on :)

A nice base spec early MK2 1.3 Cavalier would be a nice find I reckon now instead of a high spec versions that most people go for though like them all of course.  :-)

It was memories of growing up with other friends family MK2 Cavaliers for me that partly led to me ending up with my MK3 when I was in real need of some cheap wheels after a bad patch and it hasn't disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Will miss seeing this around locally, Tipos were always hugely under-sung by the mass motoring press because they were a bit too practical and insufficiently Golf-like. Hope it's gone to a good home, let's have more old Fiats on these brown pages.

I've long had a desire for a V6 or 160hp JTD'd Tipo and never forgot Fiat giving the 5 door sedicivalvole an extra few hp over the lighter 3dr version - effectively saying, "just because you're a Dad doesn't mean you should have any less fun". Splendido.

Tell us more about the 19, Rich. It always stands out amid the modern crap.

Will miss seeing this around locally, Tipos were always hugely under-sung by the mass motoring press because they were a bit too practical and insufficiently Golf-like. Hope it's gone to a good home, let's have more old Fiats on these brown pages.

I've long had a desire for a V6 or 160hp JTD'd Tipo and never forgot Fiat giving the 5 door sedicivalvole an extra few hp over the lighter 3dr version - effectively saying, "just because you're a Dad doesn't mean you should have any less fun". Splendido.

Tell us more about the 19, Rich. It always stands out amid the modern crap.

It's gone to a decent home alright.  A serial old car licker and sometime PC contributor took it away yesterday, he and his good lady having been wined and dined at Blakey by yours truly.

The 19?  That's my life partner.  Supplied in Hinckley, Leicestershire during the Italia 90 tournament, lived in the same town for the next 24 years with two owners, the first of which kept it until 2011.  I bought it in 2014 and have run it since, doing another 11k and garaging it during the bleakest winter months.  You'll see it a lot more...it'll be my daily for the summer.  Having recently sold JohnK my Cavalier, I will be looking for a shite WBOD in September to relieve it for awhile.  405s are currently distracting me...

I totes am.  This is another ex of mine.attachicon.gif1176384_10201899933843076_1062148402_n.jpg

I owned that for a couple of years...was my wedding car.  Now in south west Ireland.  I loved it but oddly enough I got over missing it, it was one of those cars that was well known before I bought it and it always felt like someone else's and I was just looking after it.  

When I get another mk2 it will be a more basic spec one, estate or otherwise any with a 4 speed box.

Do slightly regret selling my mk3 to JohnK but it was a bit of a panic sell and he was happy to oblige, besides I have first dibs back if he ever moves it on :)

Now in Wicklow, being used daily, looking immaculate; owned by the same guy with the mk1 bx gt and a few others. On a ZV xxxxxx plate though

Now in Wicklow, being used daily, looking immaculate; owned by the same guy with the mk1 bx gt and a few others. On a ZV xxxxxx plate though

If you get to talk to the owner, remind him of the agreed £80 delivery fee to Holyhead he stiffed me for!  That's if it's the same guy.  I'm guessing he sold it, was a guy called Aidan in Kerry.  Not au fait with Irish geography!

Still, it's nice to hear it's being used and is in good company by the sounds of it.

If you get to talk to the owner, remind him of the agreed £80 delivery fee to Holyhead he stiffed me for!  That's if it's the same guy.  I'm guessing he sold it, was a guy called Aidan in Kerry.  Not au fait with Irish geography!

Still, it's nice to hear it's being used and is in good company by the sounds of it.

Just looked, other side of Ireland.  I think the old goat was a trader tbh, though he didn't admit as much.  Important thing is the car survived :)

This guys called Leo, more a collector and not the sort to do a bad turn

I'll ask him where he got him from when I see him; he's driving it every day and lives up the road; he's parked the wine BX gt mk1 up; he's been alternating between that, a lovely 5, and an immaculate 84/85 Toyota Corolla.

I'll get a pic too if you like

This guys called Leo, more a collector and not the sort to do a bad turn

I'll ask him where he got him from when I see him; he's driving it every day and lives up the road; he's parked the wine BX gt mk1 up; he's been alternating between that, a lovely 5, and an immaculate 84/85 Toyota Corolla.

I'll get a pic too if you like

Oh yes please!  I'd love to see a picture of how she is now.  Is it definitely my old one, as there was an identical auto floating around at the same time I had mine.  I'll know straight away if it is.

It's gone to a decent home alright.  A serial old car licker and sometime PC contributor took it away yesterday, he and his good lady having been wined and dined at Blakey by yours truly.

Serial old car licker and sometime Autoshite lurker. Hello Dicky!

Heater matrix bypassed using a Rover 800 top hose as a temporary fix. This car is a way of getting Mrs Ladyperson involved in the hobby that means she can get something back too - insuring a 19 year old with a fault claim on my Applause, or my Stag, or my daily X300, or any of the other rammel lying round here will be... difficult. She's already stripped and rebuilt her own motorbikes too, so this is the next stage. We'll tackle the crap paint match on the wing and the heater matrix when the weather's a bit warmer and drier.

For now I'm enjoying it though - even if my journey home involved 3 coolant baths for my left foot (2 protected by my shoe, the last straight inside) and even if I couldn't actually see. :D