"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

10 hours ago, BritChod said:

Indeed. A 1984 Land Rover One Ten V8 station wagon. One owner clocked up a vast chunk of that taking it all around the world with him, while I’ve managed around a meagre 5000 in 18 months. 

Jesus H, I bet that cost him a fortune in petrol. Our old v8 90 cost a little over a pound a mile to run back in 2007/8! 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Jesus H, I bet that cost him a fortune in petrol. Our old v8 90 cost a little over a pound a mile to run back in 2007/8! 

It’s not exactly frugal, but not as ruinous as I expected. It’ll do around 15mpg running about locally, and up to 18mpg on a run. That was almost manageable until fuel prices went crazy, but now it’s brutal. 
It’s been running a mildly tuned 4.2 for around a decade or so, which apparently helped economy. 

41 minutes ago, BritChod said:

It’s not exactly frugal, but not as ruinous as I expected. It’ll do around 15mpg running about locally, and up to 18mpg on a run. That was almost manageable until fuel prices went crazy, but now it’s brutal. 
It’s been running a mildly tuned 4.2 for around a decade or so, which apparently helped economy. 

Yeah I can appreciate that from a 4.2. Ours was an early 3.5 on twin SU carbs. And went like a bastard on the off-road tracks lol. We’d easily eat through £40 of fuel for about 25-30 miles of fun haha. 

210k on the 5 series, the only non-consumable part replaced was the alternator recently. It even handles nicely in a squashy sort of way, original suspension up front and original air suspension on the back. 

I had a Passat with 510k km on the clock when I was in Norway, need to find a pic of the old dog, used to drivee it on snow chains up mountains.

3 hours ago, Harriytait said:

Got 153k on my Cooper S, apparently that’s quite good for these early ones 

D5701A07-5ECF-4394-912D-7B160FC53320.jpeg

Pretty good for an R50 - ours died at 134K and the R55 is currently on 141K but is only doing ~2K a year as nobody in the house commutes.

Below is 2008 Renault Master (horsebox) - mostly motorway miles and it has a limiter in the ECU (max 3,000 rpm and 2,500 in fifth) . Mechanically just an exhaust + consumables in our ownership but I reckon the tin worm is going to kill it before the mechanics give up

No photo description available.

• 2 weeks later...

My Landcruiser has just passed 220000 miles although this is just about run in for one of these.

Ive done 12000 of these miles in the last 18 months and the only problem has been a throttle position sensor which needed to be replaced, not bad for a 20 year old motor.

• 2 weeks later...