"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

55 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Meant to get a pic when my Passat passed the "to the moon" mark of 235,000 miles, but I was on a mission at the time. As of today it's on 237070

Take s picture at 237732 ? 

Our modern A4 is in for its MOT tomorrow! Fingers crossed it'll continue its run of not failing since new.

Screenshot_20190529-233047_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c66f67b7879a8d53ca97fa21e853ee0f.jpg

Mileage is now sitting on 182k which makes a disappointing yearly increase of only 11k miles. Was hoping to get it over the 200k mark by next year. Now the TT is gone and the Boxster tends to be only used for nicer weather, there is a chance the A4 will be getting more use again though. 

Screenshot_20190529-233107_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1911d7564ca64ebdba590e3d411b4c35.jpg

18 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

My 2002V70 D5 is on 204k and still runs and drives great, unfortunately not long for this world due to rust! I thought only old cars went rusty?.... oh yeah, it is old. 

I'm genuinely surprised...I didn't think Volvos of that vintage were known for structural corrosion! They seem superbly galvanised.

Apparently the front strut tops are a bit rot-prone, the galvanizing is worn away by the strut top mount plate and rust creeps in. By the time you notice the tell tale rust stains the rot has already eaten it's way though. The rust also spreads to the top box section under the top of the outer wing. Mine seems especially bad but it's not unusual.

There's also rot around a couple of jacking points which would need welding, I only noticed when I replaced the interior carpets, the panel above the fuel tank and under the back seat looks like it would deffo fail a screwdriver test too. I'm starting to wonder if it's been immersed in salt water at some point!

When I finally break it up and scrap it i'll give it a few whacks with a hammer and see how bad it really is. 

639ef5d365b6fa1d2c641e88f38c3408.jpg

It is with some regret I  have had to hand my membership in due to a poor showing. The BMW 530d Touring 270k, Mercedes 300se 198k and the Porsche 944 191k have all left the fold. Best now Mercedes 320 cdi 149k followed by Mercedes 500 SEC 121k and BMW Z3 108k. Feeble.?

9 hours ago, reb said:

MavisNotMavis is edging closer and closer to the moon:

20190602_234431.thumb.jpg.764a625cdc6b703f91079fae2c7cbdee.jpg

It's probably already there really, but the odometer was stopped for a while*

I serviced it on Wednesday and have already done 600 miles since then, so it shouldn't take too long to get the last of the way to the moon.

The distance to the moon is between 221,500 and 252,700 miles, so you might be on your way back!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A4 is just about to clock over to 185k. Mileage increase seems to have slowed down. Helped by spreading usage across the fleet*. Especially as the Laguna is now working* and on board. 

It's pinged up that it wants a service in 500 miles or so. Might delay it a thousand miles or so as got too many car related repairs and expenditures stacking up. It's not as bad as it seems as I changed the computer from the 18k long life service to the 9k fixed service period. Local garage only charge £100 for oil change and inspection (with genuine oil too), so makes sense having it done more often. Hopefully will take some of the loading off the DPF filling up. That's also getting more use as my wife is using it for driving to work - mostly 20mph and 30mph limits.