"Autoshite High Mileage Club" - Memberships Available!

BorniteIdentity

• 2 weeks later...

So what’s the most folk have done in a year? The most I have managed is just over 30k on a VFR750F when I was 24, I lived on it that year and was commuting to Bracknell from Warwickshire for a few months which helped bump up the miles. Most in a car is a mere 25k. One of my mates is a electronics service engineer and he swaps his company car in every two years and they always have 100-120k on them.

In 1982 for a few months, I rode my Honda 500 Eurosport from Covent Garden to Buxton every Monday,

Wednesday and Friday night , to deliver artwork. The round trip was just about 350 miles and it was getting serviced every 3 weeks at R.A.T in Goswell rd( service manager had a Matra Bagheera) .

It dropped a valve at about 40k miles at just over a year old, it was parked in the MD"s shed on Wimbledon Common as he was asset stripping the company to shut it down, maybe it's still there ... OYE92Y.

Anyway, I was given a Granada instead and became a chauffeur, the only thing I've done since. A 35 year career defined by a Plastic Maggot valve failure.

Anyone who commutes to work, particularly early in the morning as I do, will quickly realise you see the same people at the same time in the same place on your journey.  You make up names for them, and even mumble to yourself "oooh he's running late" if you happen to see him on the A414 rather than the A1.

Every week, I see this dude in a Mk4 Golf GTi.  He lives in the next village to me, but often overtakes me some 30 miles down the A1.  When I realised he's doing similar mileage to me, I decided to have a perv at his MOT history.

post-19618-0-90843300-1546595601_thumb.png

I love how similar the mileage is each year!  I think he's doing North London and back Mon-Fri but nowhere else.  Purely a commuting tool.  I'm not often surprised by high miles; after all it's far far better for cars to get properly hot each journey.  What I AM interested in, is how this  would have fared like for like over the years against the equivalent diesel.  Repairs vs Fuel efficiency etc.

Anyway, well done "Golf Dude"

I probably do about 25K a year.  When I got my Golf it was on 48,000.  Now it's on about 112,000 and I got it in May 2016.  So fair mileage.  Will probably be less now that I live closer to work.

Regarding seeing the same people each day, my drive to work is half-an-hour drive down a B-road.  I see the same five or six people each day, including one chap that used to work with me but doesn't any more going to his new job.  There's an hilariously barried Rover 100 and a MKIV Golf hatchback in anthracite grey that has French-style yellow headlamps.

I quite like it.  I also see the same people walking to work each day and catching the bus.

I was talking to one of my passengers who's a mobile security guard and he covers an area stretching between Crewe and Barrow-in-Furness northwards. He shares a van with another guard. His Transit Connect covers just under 5000 miles a week! 700 miles a day. Seven days a week.

Anyone who commutes to work, particularly early in the morning as I do, will quickly realise you see the same people at the same time in the same place on your journey. You make up names for them, and even mumble to yourself "oooh he's running late" if you happen to see him on the A414 rather than the A1.

Every week, I see this dude in a Mk4 Golf GTi. He lives in the next village to me, but often overtakes me some 30 miles down the A1. When I realised he's doing similar mileage to me, I decided to have a perv at his MOT history.

Capture.PNG

I love how similar the mileage is each year! I think he's doing North London and back Mon-Fri but nowhere else. Purely a commuting tool. I'm not often surprised by high miles; after all it's far far better for cars to get properly hot each journey. What I AM interested in, is how this would have fared like for like over the years against the equivalent diesel. Repairs vs Fuel efficiency etc.

Anyway, well done "Golf Dude"

The GTi will likely cost £100 more a year to tax and they usually do circa 25-30mpg Vs 45-50mpg on the diesel models, on 25k a year (Ignoring insurance and maintenance differences) it's probably upwards of £1500 more expensive I'd guess.

He probably ought to think about changing it for a TDi, that being said the 1.8T will be far nicer to drive.

• 1 month later...

Pug (206 1.4 HDi) clicked over 225000 yesterday..... 15 years to the day since it hit the road. 15k/yr for 15 years.... precisely.

I love it when maths comes together.

Not only that,but I'd driven Mrs_N's Streetka over the 100K mark 15 minutes earlier as well.

What a day.

What. A. Day.

Those 206’s are supposed to be very very frugal on derv amirite?