Homemade number plates on peoples cars

TripleRich

Now own up time because it was me this time! I needed a number plate for our tractor in a hurry so I could take it to the pub, first thing I found was a new cloth backed emery sheet and some white paint. It looked ok on the day, but for the odd times I used it one the road after that it stayed on and eventually curled up!

post-4787-0-51259100-1487632598_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-34394000-1487632609_thumb.jpg

I paint my own number plates because I prefer them to shit modern letters that look like 80s dot matrix printers used to produce. You can only get the right typeface from one supplier because the other dies got confiscated, at least that's what I heard. Whatever, they bum you for about £60 a pair, a most unshitely sum. I try to do them about the right size, if it gets up anyone's nose I'm most awfully sorry. No I'm not.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170108_171709338.jpg

These really do look good. How do you make them?

Guest Breadvan72

I suppose that I should get some proper 1975 ish white and yellow plates with raised numbers for my Dolomite, but these seem to cost kerching on the intertubes.  I have just noticed that the front plate is about to fall off my 2004 X Type, which is reassuringly Autoshite.

These really do look good. How do you make them?

Its a very complicated scientifical process. I buy stick-on letters from the hardware shop and they last a couple of years then curl up and drop off. I then hand the plate and a whiskery brush to my Mrs who has more patience than me and carefully slathers paint on to the bit where the sticker used to be. Lastly I put a photo on here at the lowest resolution I can so that it looks better than it really is.

My Loadstar plates was produced the same way.post-7547-0-91948500-1487680019_thumb.jpg

I suppose that I should get some proper 1975 ish white and yellow plates with raised numbers for my Dolomite, but these seem to cost kerching on the intertubes.  I have just noticed that the front plate is about to fall off my 2004 X Type, which is reassuringly Autoshite.

You can buy the plastic letters at autojumbles for not so much.

Instead of drilling holes for them and thus make them all crooked and misspaced,

you can glue them on with silicone.

Now own up time because it was me this time! I needed a number plate for our tractor in a hurry so I could take it to the pub.....

Hahahahahahahaha....

<breathe>

hahahahahahahah!

"What we are dealing with heeyah is a complete lack of respect for the law"

</Branford in Smokie and the Bandit>

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Guest Breadvan72

That gag was stolen from "The Taking of Pelham 123" (1974).  Transit Cop Walter Matthau double-takes when he meets the super cool black NYPD Inspector, to whom he has spoken on the radio, and says "I thought you were a shorter guy". 

Is Branford any relation to the great Buford T. Justice?  [/anorak]

Sheriff Buford T. Justice was the character I was thinking of, but my poor memory and frankly lackadaisical and slipshod efforts in imdb led me to the name of completely the wrong character. Yes, Buford T. Justice, as portrayed by comedian, actor, composer and conductor (!), Jackie Gleason.

Who I'm sure, in my non-too-far-off twilight years, I will come to confuse with Judy Geeson, of Danger UXB fame.

Thank god someone still has all their faculties.

The only plates I like are correct for the period ones, so black with white letters on pre-73 I think, and white and yellow after that with the correct font and original supplying Dealers plates or repros, and I absolutely hate post 2001 font on pre 2001 regd cars.

What I hate most of all is most plates these days instead of being the acrylic ones so a clear bit of Perspex at the front with a yellow or white backing with the letters printed on it attaches to the rear, are a black piece of plastic or a bit of tin with a sticky yellow or white front on it and a bit of clear sticky film with the reg letters on it stuck to the front of it, because they look tatty, rippled, worn, water damaged and black marked very easily and I dislike plates that don't look clean and fresh.

Plod have all this OCR technology available to them (but a lot less headcount) and while the tech is obviously quite effective at telling the traffic cop in his ANPR interceptor that he has just passed an untaxed or uninsured vehicle, is it going to be any good at spotting a scrote on a plate that is 6 years too young for it, or a stolen LR 90 on a plate for a series 2? And what happens when the Serco camera turns in an image of said vehicle doing 40 in a 30. Fine the wrong person presumably. This might be what is afoot. I know the police of Newcastle upon Tyne enjoyed* this sort of lark with a very active ringing gang some 15 years ago.

• 5 months later...