Homemade number plates on peoples cars

TripleRich

I don't get it.  A legal number plate is not expensive but some feel the need to make their own illegal one.  

Saw this the other day.  Wrong typeface, spacing and it's not reflective despite the yellow paint.  It appeared to be made from plywood and some effort had going into making it.

post-20612-0-89183500-1487512795_thumb.jpg

I love a shitty homemade reg plate. This hopeless old shed had just been recomissioned after a 30 year lay up and was ready the day before a planned trip to France. The V5 only arrived that day too, so we had no idea of the new reg until we were packing to leave. It shed an ancient tyre on the M25 but we managed to get a new set of Xs fitted the morning of departure, but totally forgot about plates until we got to the ferry. Cardboard, marker pen and cable ties to the rescue. Only shitty pic I can lay my hands on at the mo.

post-3924-0-53980100-1487515691_thumb.png

Its also kind of a "can't be fucking bothered with the jobsworth at the Motor Factor" type thing, too.   I make up loads of trailer plates - they usually get rained on and destroyed and I often go to some effort.   It does often save £12-15 too so I suppose money is a factor.    Certainly when you need one in a hurry its often the only way.....

No photos sadly, but in 1982 my 1967 Arrow Minx automatic came to me wearing very worn black plates with push-in letters.  I took the plates off and repainted them silver-on-black with Humbrol, giving them silver borders too.  Looked a treat!

When I bought my DS in Holland, as part of the registration process they remove the number plates from the car and issue you with a paper export plate.

Taped them to the inside of the front and rear screens and drove home. Customs at Harwich never batted an eyelid...

And when I wanted to take my Lambro pick up to the local car meet, some 10 miles away, thought it might attract attention with no plates,it never had any in Italy. So unscrewed a Czech one from a scooter and bunged that on...Happy days!

I paint my own number plates because I prefer them to shit modern letters that look like 80s dot matrix printers used to produce. You can only get the right typeface from one supplier because the other dies got confiscated, at least that's what I heard. Whatever, they bum you for about £60 a pair, a most unshitely sum. I try to do them about the right size, if it gets up anyone's nose I'm most awfully sorry. No I'm not.

post-7547-0-47892200-1487544519_thumb.jpg

I love a sketchy cardboard plate on a borrowed box trailer or the like. I am also fond of just scrawling the digits onto the blank space between the lights on a trailer board.

Extra points for haphazard and varying size letters.

0QfKlP4.jpg

cwukgFK.jpg

V69vYPt.jpg

uDAYSXF.jpg

VDD5y6b.jpg

I was driving the Gt6 down to Nottingham with a bike on the back. I scribbled the numberplate on some cardboard and cable tied it to the bike rack and set off. 

When I got to Nottingham, the numberplate was no longer there.

Spent a couple of weeks worrying that an accident had been caused by a random bit of cardboard flying into someones windscreen.

Obviously it hadn't but I would have had some difficulty removing myself from involvement in that one.