Bulk Vegetable Oil Wanted

explosive-cabbage

Hi All!

I know I have been a bit sparse on the forum recently, but there is an update on the way.

Long story short, I am travelling abroad for an uncertain length of time - more than 1 year, but not sure how long.

Me and brother KruJoe have been running the cars on veg for a while, have I developed an effective and efficient filtering system. I want to leave a good stockpile of veg here for Joe to use, and maybe a little extra for members of the forum if and when they need it.

Unfortunately I am finding it harder and harder to get a good supply of oil from anywhere, I have tried regular suppliers and eBay but have come up short. It is now 20 days till I leave.

I am looking for between 1000 litres and 2000 litres, preferably in the next 2 weeks, anywhere in the North of England, but closer to Skipton (BD23) the better. Can travel, have containers. Willing to pay up to 30p/litre depending on quality and solids content.

Any contacts/pointers/ideas would be much appreciated, PM me if appropriate.

Thank you in advance!

Will

I'm glad you can travel again, it didn't sound hopeful when I saw Joe last year.

Good luck with sourcing the veg and with your trip.

I stumbled across my only supplier by accident on Gumtree, they had a thousand litres for free, turns out their commercial collector let them down because their new lorry couldn't get down the steep road to the hotel.

Top tip: find a difficult to access establishment.

There is a (vehicle related) veg oil forum on the net somewhere. Have you tried Costco? It wasn't too expensive new last time I got it, admittedly a while back now and still a lot cheaper than diesel. 

Beware buying large amounts of methanol, you'll get a knock from HMRC within days if you're processing large amounts.

Vegoildiesel is the forum you'll be needing. I believe introducing yourself goes a long way in there.

Methanol is (I think) needed for biodiesel production, but the cabbage juice is just filtered really well for use in older engines. ;-)

I think we may be confusing methanol with ethanol and/or methylated spirits (which is mainly ethanol with a little methanol added). HMRC are interested in ethanol/methylated spirits as duty must be paid on it. As far as I know there is no duty (other than VAT for a private individual) to pay on methanol. I suspect most prosecutions regarding methanol will be about incorrect storage and/or no petroleum licence.

Methanol is required to produce the methyl ester of the fat (mostly present as the triglyceride - hence the large amount of glycerine also produced by the reaction). Methyl esters of veg oil = biodiesel.

Methanol is also highly toxic - if you are lucky it will make you temporarily blind, if unlucky it will kill you. Many people have died due to punches being spiked with methanol rather than ethanol.