Jaguar X-Type - Should I?

theorganist

The AWD ones are set up to be 60 percent rear, 40 percent front.  The cornering ability is pretty spiffy, although the steering could perhaps do with a bit more feel.

Useless fact - same bias as the R reg auto Leggy 2.5 4Cam I had a few years ago.

Guest Breadvan72

The engine is mounted transversely.  This is one of the design compromises consequent on using a front wheel drive platform. Note also the relatively small distance between the cabin and the front wheels, another consequence of this.

Buy a Xedos 6 instead.

I think we should have a weekly feature called "Ask Alcyonecorporation"

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I'm tempted by an X-Type but I've heard they can give serious trouble with rusty sills? Should I avoid it?"

Alcyonecorporation says "Buy a Xedos 6."

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I have a small Japanese hatchback I want to sell, I only want about £500 for it. Where, in your opinion, is the best place to advertise it?"

Alcyonecorporation says "Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I quite like the look of the Peugeot 306 estate, but I'm really keen on the Renault Laguna estate - which is the better car?"

Alcyonecorporation says "You should buy seven French estates to decide which you like best. This is a very sensible move because if three break, you still have four working French estates."

Or ask tooSavvy?

BuY X epyT????????

Brown crust on sills.............................

only cost money if it's worth it :-P :-P :-P :-P   :-D   :shock:  ;-) //////////////////[[[[

PROTON POWER :mrgreen: :-P <<"))))

• 1 month later...

The sills on my one seem OK, but when I get the chance I will jet wash them and spray some Waxoyl or similar chip fat alternative along them.

Bit late to the party here but that's a complete waste of time, they rot from the inside out, not the outside in - by the time you can see this:

post-20412-0-02787600-1486107746.jpg

Then the inside will look like this:

post-19837-0-98880100-1491223392_thumb.jpg

post-19837-0-89688500-1491223529_thumb.jpg

And any garage who is repairing those for a couple of hundred quid is just slapping an outer panel on to cover the rest of the rot up and banging it full of waxoil whilst leaving you with the structural integrity of an Alfa that's been parked by the seaside for 10 minutes.

Guest Breadvan72

Bit late to the party here but that's a complete waste of time, they rot from the inside out, not the outside in - by the time you can see this:

post-20412-0-02787600-1486107746.jpg

Then the inside will look like this:

attachicon.gifDriversSide.jpg

attachicon.gifDriversSide4.jpg

And any garage who is repairing those for a couple of hundred quid is just slapping an outer panel on to cover the rest of the rot up and banging it full of waxoil whilst leaving you with the structural integrity of an Alfa that's been parked by the seaside for 10 minutes.

The sills on mine don't look like that.  Maybe I have been lucky for a change.  But I am not mega bothered, as the car isn't intended as a long term cherished object.   

I add that it's hard to take too seriously (if so intended) comments that include the Alfa by the seaside reference, as such comments tend to suggest ye olde pubbe blah, Pistonheads stylee.  I'm just sayin', like.

I think we should have a weekly feature called "Ask Alcyonecorporation"

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I'm tempted by an X-Type but I've heard they can give serious trouble with rusty sills? Should I avoid it?"

Alcyonecorporation says "Buy a Xedos 6."

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I have a small Japanese hatchback I want to sell, I only want about £500 for it. Where, in your opinion, is the best place to advertise it?"

Alcyonecorporation says "Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

"Dear Alcyonecorporation, I quite like the look of the Peugeot 306 estate, but I'm really keen on the Renault Laguna estate - which is the better car?"

Alcyonecorporation says "You should buy seven French estates to decide which you like best. This is a very sensible move because if three break, you still have four working French estates."

Or ask tooSavvy?

BuY X epyT????????

Brown crust on sills.............................

only cost money if it's worth it :-P :-P :-P :-P   :-D   :shock:  ;-) //////////////////[[[[

PROTON POWER :mrgreen: :-P <<"))))

On second thoughts, you should buy a Rover 75 and bore the internet to tears about how much better it is than the Jag.

Or you could be really street* and cool** and buy the world's worst Subaru SVXalcyonecalibrafujiheavyindustriesmanualgearboxbro off a complete idiot and lose your mind when the gearbox inevitably implodes.

As a finisher, buy a Peugeot 605 diesel, let the MoT lapse and try to sell it on eBay.

The sills on mine don't look like that.  Maybe I have been lucky for a change.  But I am not mega bothered, as the car isn't intended as a long term cherished object.   

I add that it's hard to take too seriously (if so intended) comments that include the Alfa by the seaside reference, as such comments tend to suggest ye olde pubbe blah, Pistonheads .  I'm just sayin', like.

If yours currently look okay just bang some waxoil inside - there's a few holes you can get, and you should be good, stopping it inside is the important bit if you're keeping it for a while.

I've had an italian car by the seaside, it didn't end well, I think that was the only time I cheered as it got speared by the forklift when I bridged it. ;)

Guest Breadvan72

As I mentioned above, the car is not a long term keeper, but I have already squirted pickled wombat jizz into the holey bits.   Hey, we all need a hobby. 

Many car dudes appear surprisingly surprised that cars made of ferrous metal rust, and that they rust a lot if placed in humid and/or salty places.  They don't have to be Italian to do this. Planet Earth is a harsh place for pretty much anything that lives outdoors.

I saw a twelve year old (ie hyper uber modern) Beemer the other day, and one of its wheel arches was more blebby than a blebby thing on International Bleb Day.  Rumours of the death of rust are greatly exaggerated.

I add that it's hard to take too seriously (if so intended) comments that include the Alfa by the seaside reference, as such comments tend to suggest ye olde pubbe blah, Pistonheads stylee.  I'm just sayin', like.

You're absolutely right ! Despite what the man in the pub might say, 1970s Alfas are far more rust resistant than X-Types.

Sorry.  :mrgreen:

Neville the Tame  Glaswegian Welding Shortarse told me that he's done so many, he has it down to a fine art. "Three huntret quid wee man when the time comes, ah'll doo tha whole fuckin thing fur ye." I like Neville, and I'm very nice to him. He's not hard to pay, and he's fucking scary.