Confessional / The "Is It Wrong To Like..." Thread

UltraWomble

Wait, they've been released? I didn't realise they were out yet.

They all look the same to me, guv....No seriously I thought it was an Optima at first but it definitely had that C pillar treatment because that is what me look at it again.   Black, it was.    

Only saw the Kia badge, mind....      

It ain't "wrong" to like any car but it can be hard to explain / justify, even to yourself.

I think the Crossfire is a lovely looking thing, a modern MGB GT. I have come close to buying but they are just so small inside. But yeah, a red manual and  I'd just have to take off my jacket and shoes to drive it.

post-17481-0-53424900-1485950565_thumb.jpg

More Chrysler lust for one of these.

post-17481-0-78085800-1485951031_thumb.jpg

Better, but more embarrassing.

post-17481-0-73057700-1485951180_thumb.jpg

Less embarrassing here, more so everywhere else.

post-17481-0-69483300-1485951206_thumb.jpg

Everything above is a bit thirsty, so one of these to charge up at work please.

post-17481-0-56122900-1485951213_thumb.jpg

But Mitsubishi, not one badged Citroen or Peugeot.

The Cityrover has always interested me, but I have never driven one.

Don't. They're utterly, contemptibly, hatefully shit. I drove one out of curiosity about five years back and was astonished at how terrible it was.

Genuinely didn't seem like any improvement over a 1990 Metro (a bit quicker maybe) and had odd steering, crap gearshift, and build quality that was just dire. The radio was barely powerful enough to drown out the rattle from the rear, which would have driven me mad if I'd not had more than 10 miles to go.

Better than walking, but only just.

Porsche 914

porsche-914-070-06.jpg

Mk2 VW Polo saloon

Volkswagen%20Polo%20Classic%20(1).jpg

Ford Zephyr/Zodiac with period tat

zodiac-002.jpg

MG BGT

201502241638571512782137_1.jpg

VW Beetle

4351204.jpg

Morris Minor

pbl-fr-lh1.jpg

When I'm talking about cars, I don't often discuss the above.  There's a handful of popular classics I do really like, I'd still love to own a really clean 1200 Beetle, for example, or a completely standard and shiny Morris Minor.  They're not interesting or weird or difficult, they're just nice.  Nothing controversial about the above either, particularly, they're all accepted in their respective scenes.  The only reason there aren't moderns on here is that in all honesty, I don't click with moderns in the same way I do older stuff.  Moderns are actually pretty good things as they go, they're just not really for me.

Guest Breadvan72

Isn't this thread supposed to be about taking guilty pleasure in mega dire cars, rather than "I want a [insert car that is generally regarded as cool/beautiful/fabulous] etc?

I have a strange perv on for gopping late 80s American enormosaloons.

Look at this POS.  I rented one at Boston Airport in 1989.  It was hilarious.

buick-electra-1989-14.jpg

buick__riviera_1989_3_lgw.jpg

Isn't this thread supposed to be about taking guilty pleasure in mega dire cars, rather than "I want a [insert car that is generally regarded as cool/beautiful/fabulous] etc?

buick-electra-1989-14.jpg

There is NOTHING nice about that, good effort

I can't see anything particularly embarrassing about any of these. Worrying about what others think is for another forum anyway. I really, really want a Bedford Rascal, to do stoppies in.

LR 101s are better for that & they have a V8 noise

I can't see anything particularly embarrassing about any of these. Worrying about what others think is for another forum anyway. I really, really want a Bedford Rascal, to do stoppies in.

That's the best reason to get one. For ultimate SKILL you need a Commer PB. Handbrake works on the front wheels, dontcha know.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWLlPBGFho

I'll start with the raising an eyebrow and saying "Okay..." and move to the "You ought to be sanctioned mate" 

Lexus SC430

Lexus~SC430~(9).jpg

The SC430 is Lexus's answer to the Mercedes SL, so it's an open top luxury cruiser with somewhat sporting potential and good looks....oh wait, no it's not.

Camaro "Iron Duke" 

sxtwpyzp9q9g831ifwbo.jpg

The 3rd Gen Camaro, a car that helped make muscle cars great again in the 80's. Just not when fitted with Chevy's "Iron Duke" motor, a 2.5L inline 4 with making a eye watering 86Hp. 

Any 'Old's Diesel

1982_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme-pic-8014

I've picked a photo of the Oldsmobile Delta 88, but this engine was used across the GM range. I'm sure alot of you's know how infamous this engine is, but for you's who don't...it was so good* it effectively killed interest for diesel's in the US, even to this day for the older generation. 

My pick of choice would be any saloon with the LF9 spec of the engine...because 5.7l V8. 

[img=http://momentcar.com/images/buick-electra-1989-14

I may have misunderstood the thread if that's the case, hence me admitting to a desire for totally un-Autoshite cars; The stereotype classic Aston, the OldSkoolRacist "scene" Ford and a modern Audi.

The appreciation of desperate random heaps from automotive history is after all the raison d'être of this place , therefore no embarassing confessions required .

Guest Breadvan72

I didn't like the Cruiser when it first came out until I had one on hire. I was very impressed with it, plenty of space inside and nice and comfy, looks more interesting than other MPVs.

I do feel sorry for car designers.

Buyer: all cars looks the same

Designer: look at this we've made something different from everything else out there

Buyer: I don't like change, that's horrible, I'm going to buy this white box that looks like all the others

Designer: bang, bang, as they hit their head off the wall

I'm with whoever picked the mk1 Chrysler Neon, my dad had one and I liked the fact it was a bit different to the usual bland repmobile Mondeos/Vectras, spec was amazing even on base UK models, it drive ok, was as powerful as anything else back then with its 2.0 125bhp engine. I also think it had character that not many cars I've driven since have had and I actually liked some of the Americanisms of it like the bongs it made, the button to release the key from the ignition, having to press the clutch pedal down to start it, and having to lock and unlock it if you either didn't start it within so many minutes of unlocking it or if the engine had been switched off and not restarted for so long.

512px-66Toronado.jpg

Oldsmobile Toronado (Image courtesy of Wiki).  I have not driven one but was amused by the USA's take on front wheel drive when they introduced it back in the 1960s.  I know that the yanks had dabbled with front drive before, however, the Toronado was more mainstream.

512px-98-04_Dodge_Intrepid.jpg
Dodge Intrepid (Image courtesy of Wiki).  Whenever possible I had these as hire cars from Seatac airport in the 1990s.  Fabulous cars to drive.  They soon fell out of favour with hire companies which fell back on Chevy Luminars (bland but ok) and Buick Regals (typical wobbly yank) and Olds Cieras (ghastly in almost every respect).

Probably the nearest I'll get to realising my guilty pleasure will be a distant cousin of the Intrepid i.e. the Neon.

Cars I know I shouldn't like but do - to the extent that I would like to (or do) own one....

1) Freelander 1

Most of them have self-converted to 2wd by now, and any that are cheap enough to come my way have done moon mileages. Yet I'd still really like to have one, just like the way they look and, to my own surprise, I do like this class of vehicle (based on 2-3 short Freelander trips and driving Pa_Norbert's Tucson). I had almost convinced myself and Mrs_N that we should turn our attentions to Rav4s, then one of those round the corner spent the whole of December and most of January on axle stands with its engine & box on the floor underneath, thus torpedoing all reason and pushing me back towards the Hippo. Early L-series diesel if possible, please.

2) Jaguar X-Type

Apparently these rot for fun, particularly from the bits that join the Ford and Jag metalwork. And I bet that if you own one you're never more that a few minutes from a pub bore who will rip the piss based on its underpinnings. But I still like the mini-XJ looks, especially around the rear 3/4, and I had a rental V6 one when they were new that was the business - I was barely in the hotel at all during that works trip, I just spent all my out-of-office time driving round. Anything with a V6 please.

3) Ka Mk1

Driven these loads as disposable cars. In fact my spare car is one at the moment. They only rust in one area - between the front and rear numberplates - but their disposability is one of the things that appeals, and they do drive like a Mini (coming from someone who knew Minis when they were cheap and disposable too). 1.6 Hatch (SportKa), please.

4) Audi TT Mk1

I have a natural aversion to Audis made after they started naming them after pieces of paper (possible exceptions to the first A4 and the A6 that was really a 100 anyway). And I would prefer this mechanical package in an Octavia vRS, to be honest. But I do fond them comfortable to be in, if a little pillbox-like to see out of, and as it would have to be shared with Mrs_N, who likes poseur cars and considers anything too practical as an excuse for your mates to press you into courier / taxi duty, I can see myself in one of these. Early 1.8T RHD Quattro in Metallic blue with smurfskin upholstery for me...

5) Fiat Multipla

Another rental/pool car drive. The width didn't put me off (ooer) and I like the fisher-price dash with it's ability to change between 3-4-5 without taking your hand off the wheel. Don't like the front end looks? Then you should buy one - less chance of seeing it coming the other way if you are already in it...... Ideal spec? Well, it's a family bus, so JTD....

6) New Mini Mk1

I used to be into classic Minis until the folks on the 'scene' sent me running for the hills. As such I should be duty-bound to hate these with a passion. But.... I just don't. The looks of the original New Mini have grown on me (certainly in comparison to what came after), the massive speedo reminds me of my Mk1 850 and most will have been sorted of power steering woes by now. Cooper in red/white with as little scene rubbish on it as possible, I think....

Guest Breadvan72

I have succumbed to an X Type.  Three litre V6 Junkmanamatic.  I am just ignoring whatever might or might not be underneath the sill covers.

Note bonus shot of my wife's 206 CC, a much unloved by AS hairdressermobile, that I actually quite like, although my wife has giffer-dinged it all over, and it is even dirtier than she is.

post-5528-0-46228600-1486061657_thumb.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

since we are in a confesional thread, i hope that this will go no further.......

but

the original R50 BINI, but not a cooper, no a "one" like this one all in one colour.(and one one steels if at all possible)

time was when i would have washed my eyes out with domestos instead of like the BINI, but as time goes on, well these aren't that bad looking..

and Rovers did all the development work.....

uhg, i feel dirty now admitting that, i need a long hot shower!