Navigation Rallies - shite cars going the speed limit!

The Moog

Ooh I do really fancy a go at this!

I’m afraid I’ll be embarrassingly crap though...

Imagine how terrifying my first time was. It was at the Manchester Classic Car Show, with a crowd, and random public in the passenger seat! A bloody good laugh though.

At the next one, I got the course wrong...

Ooh I do really fancy a go at this!

I’m afraid I’ll be embarrassingly crap though...

Do it!

Heck, I haven't even been to an AS autotest yet but I can say it'll be a barrel of laughs.   I used to compete in our club's twice-yearly events in Cyprus, and have two trophies here from those occasions; one of which was my first-ever.

Here's me in the Infamous Granada, still on a charge as I cross the finishing line...

post-4559-0-60744100-1552779083_thumb.jpg

And here in the ideally-suited X1/9 setting FTD while MrsR was in hospital...

post-4559-0-26742200-1552779286_thumb.jpg

You don't have to be all that fast, just remember which way you're supposed to be going.  Saying that, as you can see from the photos I was going for it!  You do get a bit wrapped-up in the atmosphere...

AHH right..

So basically it is timed runs around a course. Hitting a cone incurs a 5 second penalty-which normally kills your run

You have 15 runs over the day with the slowest one wiped off. Then it is the least amount of time for the rest.

There are different classes including some with reversing into a box etc.

I normally just do the Clubman's which is forward only. It's about improving your precision over the day really.

Cost is £30 for the day plus £5 for membership for the year. First timers get half priced entry.

When you arent driving you will either have rest break or will be marshalling so the day goes pretty quickly.

Previous class winners include Bucketeer and NJGleeds.

Other shiters who have come to have a go including Dollywobbler and Spartacus.

What it’s all about, my vocabulary isn’t that extensive these days.

basically imagine a tight course laid out by cones and you have to go round it as quickly as possible

very much favours handling cars

well thats my understanding of it anyway :)

(also I totally didn't just get my autosolo autocross and autotest all confused...)

^ So it is!

Didn't look too closely at the car itself, assumed it was from about 74 when you could get both Ghia and GXL with full wheel trimz.

Detail differences grille area, seats, pillar badge.

But a Mk1 Granada being used on autotests, - yaaaay :-)

Possibly better than a Jag Mk2 or S-type.

4f8uaxE.jpg

That was probably the most fun I had in that car, the other contender being a club drive to a village restaurant along winding country roads on my birthday.  I deliberately hung back from the MGB in front and was able to give it beans on the long sweeping bends.  The back end was happy to break away...  Much more power in that 2.5 Essex than in the 3.0 I had 25 years earlier!

• 2 weeks later...

This is stirring up memories of my now-defunct hill climbing and sprinting career - 3 seasons of doing it in a 1.0 pushrod Nova and a 2003 Kia Rio. I wish I'd done a few of these in the godawful Rio before I got rid of it.

Cheap motorsport like this is a great way of enjoying cars, especially if it's something that's not 'sporty'.

• 4 weeks later...