1997 LDV Pilot KOLLEKTED

Lankytim

Urgh. I've removed the sodden front rubber carpets and found a few areas of rust. Nothing too disastrous but I'm really losing my mojo for this van. It's all sheet metal with good access to both sides. I'm probably going to keep it for a month or so and then move it on. It will be a bargain basement price. I'll consider a swap too!

Ah shit sorry Tim, didn't think it would be too bad especially considering the MOT history

No worries' it's a 20 year old van! To be fair, I don't think any of the corrosion is an MOT issue. The chassis and all the important parts are rock solid. 

Even though I hate this van, deep down I love it and I keep looking at ebay and gumtree at other Sherlots.

Check out this heap, Perkins powered?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132089498523?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l500.jpg

Seeing this reminds me that i saw a tatty P reg LDV 400 LWB low roof minibus today with Purling Travel on the side and a blowing exhaust drive passed whilst i was picking the kid up from nursery, even the driver was this knackered looking old boy with a flat cap.

Imagine ordering an executive minibus for some fancy gig and having that thing turning up!

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed a mates nice welder yesterday and tried to remember how to weld,

16807176_10158316340170436_6106797099878

16649162_10158316340065436_2155537834298

16806787_10158316340185436_3502042786948

There is literally a FUCKTON of welding to do on this heap, but I really enjoyed doing this little bit. The only really tricky parts seem to be the front inner arches. I took the ply floor out and found a few holes in the back too. It's all flat sheet though. Mr's Lankytim is strongly against me welding it up however and wants me to get rid at the earliest opportunity. (She doesn't like me having fun)

On the plus side I busted off the tamper proof throttle stop and wound it out a bit so the thing absolutely flies now. Throttle spindle then started leaking diesel.. it looks like an easy job to fix though.

The exhaust was blowing to absolute F00K on this and steadily getting worse. Turns out it was coming from the downpipe to manifold gasket, I bought one from ebay and it was a pleasant 30 minute job to fit it. Whoever did the headgasket job had reused the old downpipe gasket and there was pretty much nothing left of it. With it all back together the whole driving experience is 876% better and I'm now treated to that lovely Sherpa "rasp" from the tailpipe, remember when you heard that "brrraaaaap" fart noise all the time?

I also re-attatched the drivers door catch which had come loose making opening the door a pain. 

I had posted mentioning a royal mail postvan which needed an engine that i'm considering buying (the present owner blew the existing engine to absolute bits) but I think it was lost when the forum was down. Its under 100k on the clock so it could donate it's diff and other parts (my gearbox is a bit noisy too) or if the body is much better than mine I may put it back on the road. I think these Pilots are all about as shite as each other in the bodywork stakes so we'll see. 

If you're buying one for parts, yours should have the R380 box:the changeover from the LT77 was around 94/95. Wasn't much else different until the Ford engined ones, but it would be an arseache to buy one with the wrong box.

Also (think the post got lost earlier), check for cracking on the chassis roundabout (and in the corners of) the front crossmember and gearbox crossmember. I've had those, and it's nothing too drastic that a shot of electric stitching won't solve, but it's a definite MOT issue.

Good luck with this fine steed, sir.

Right, I've seen this one for spares and bought it BUT the body has hardly any rust and it's generally in much better shape than mine, apart from the grenaded engine that is.

So, do I use the white one for spares despite its gold standard shite credentials? Seems a shame! After I've taken the engine out it's going pretry much seal its fate.

I think I'm contractually obliged not to scrap it, but it is quite rusty. Hopefully after this weekend I won't need anymore it as I'm collecting this concrete garage that I'm then going to erect in my garden. It'll take a few journeys but hopefully will be fun. After then I won't have a "need" for it other than tootling about it. I'll try and track down an engine and if anyone wants to make me an offer for it, feel free.