For Sale or Possible Roffle - Giffer Green Rover 75

Ditchfinder General

I think it's about time I popped my AS collection cherry, strap yourselves in for a fast paced, action packed odyssey through the wilds of Nottinghamshire.

This is the arduous trek ahead of me.

post-19587-0-38642700-1485601891_thumb.jpg

Breakfast of champions.

post-19587-0-86223200-1485601909_thumb.jpg

Insurance sortage - Y no Autoshite on the owners club/forum drop down?

post-19587-0-43619500-1485601952_thumb.jpg

Moar updates to follow..... Need to go and flag down something called a bus?

Sorry gents, lack of updates yesterday due to being unable to work out how to upload photos from my phone. I R LUDDITE.

Collection rather boringly went without a hitch and i'm now the proud owner of this fine specimen:

post-19587-0-17209800-1485726919_thumb.jpg

2.5 V6 Auto, GR8* 4 fuel economy but silky smooth.

Unfortunately, I bought it sight unseen as it was reasonably cheap and I had a good feeling about it, mainly down to the old dear selling it. That feeling was clearly unfounded as the drive home yielded the following realisations:

The electric mirrors don't work

The cigarette lighter doesn't work

The steering wheel controls and cruise control doesn't work

It wanders like a drunk at closing time (advisory on the last MOT for a ball joint probably explains this)

It's got a thirst like George Best, although it's only been driven 3,000 miles in the last 5 years, this might have something to do with it.

It appears to have the 'swimming pool in boot' option. The boot carpet was sopping wet and the spare wheel well was an inch deep in water.

I did wonder momentarily why I'd bought it, but then I looked at it again and realised. The bodywork is fantastic, there's barely a mark on it and it just looks majestic :-D

post-19587-0-40292000-1485727610_thumb.jpg

I could easily spend lots of money on this and I'm tempted as I love 75's, but I reckon I'll just give it an oil and filter service and run it for a bit and see how it goes. If it's alright I might treat it to a belt change in the summer (according to the book, the last time it was serviced was 2009 :shock: )

So I decided to have a crack at finding the leak in the boot this morning

I got rid of the soaking boot carpet and put it in the garden to dry (lovely white mould all over the back of it) and set about taking the light clusters off to see if anything was amiss there.

This was the water ingress.

post-19587-0-13292800-1485727955_thumb.jpg

Bingo. This looks like the culprit

post-19587-0-52646500-1485727955_thumb.jpg

The rubber gasket around the light cluster was broken, apparently when they were made, rather than using a one piece gasket, it had a join in it which invariably split over time. This had happened on both sides on my car.

Plenty of superglue later:

post-19587-0-69682100-1485727954_thumb.jpg

And then it rained this afternoon.....I checked in the boot and it's still wet. AAARGH! Nowhere near as wet as it was but still noticeably damp. Suspect the lugs holding the chrome trim in are leaking, or possibly the rear screen seal.

Oh well, it can wait until next weekend.

Well bought, that looks class. The mirrors should be an easy fix. Pop the controls (window switches and mirror panel) out of the handle on the door card and disconnect the plug into them. The contol's can be separated, there is little clips to take it apart. I use a rubber to clean the contacts on the underside of the circle mirror adjuster and bingo, all working. I move the mirrors about every few weeks and it has not happened again.

Boot leaks are common. You have replaced the gaskets so good start. Check the chrome trim along the middle has the nut and the foam washer behind it. These are the two rearmost each side of the car behind the carpet trim in the boot. Water can also get in from under the trim and the bottom of the rear screen. I used this to sort that - http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/capt-tolleys-creeping-crack-cure/p8460?gclid=COLMm_DC6dECFam87QododUE2A

Lastly the seams under the screen that come down towards the rear lights can leak, mine did and this is where most of the water got it. Good luck with finding them, takes a bit of time.

Well bought, that looks class. The mirrors should be an easy fix. Pop the controls (window switches and mirror panel) out of the handle on the door card and disconnect the plug into them. The contol's can be separated, there is little clips to take it apart. I use a rubber to clean the contacts on the underside of the circle mirror adjuster and bingo, all working. I move the mirrors about every few weeks and it has not happened again.

Boot leaks are common. You have replaced the gaskets so good start. Check the chrome trim along the middle has the nut and the foam washer behind it. These are the two rearmost each side of the car behind the carpet trim in the boot. Water can also get in from under the trim and the bottom of the rear screen. I used this to sort that - http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/capt-tolleys-creeping-crack-cure/p8460?gclid=COLMm_DC6dECFam87QododUE2A

Lastly the seams under the screen that come down towards the rear lights can leak, mine did and this is where most of the water got it. Good luck with finding them, takes a bit of time.

Don't listen to him- his other car's a tricycle....   :)

:mrgreen: that also leaks and has electrical issues  :mrgreen:

I can help here. If your electrical issues are similar- If your electric mirirors and  cruise control don't work, that may be because the later models didn't have these fitted because of "Project Skinflint", which I believe also included loss of a wheel, and the facelift being called "Rialto" instead of "Kitten".

Thanks mate, the mirror switch cleaning is the next job on the list, along with the reinstatement of a proper smiley plate on the back.

The chrome trim nuts seem to be dry, the leak is coming from higher up on the car, as when it chucked it down yesterday afternoon I stuck my head in the boot and there is a constant drip from just above the passenger side light cluster, it seems to be tracking down from the bottom left of the rear screen. I'll probably try and get the chrome screen trim off and reseat it with some sealant. Is it an easy job to get off?

I would'nt take the trim off at the bottom of the screen. If (and they will) the clips break i believe you refit them the screen has to come out. Seems your leaks where mine did. If you carefully lift the rubber part that the boot sits on, clean out all the muck then use the stuff i put a link for around the clips that should work. Mine leaks a bit bit its miles better than it was, and the boot liner catches the wee bits. I would also check the sealer on top edge of where the hinges are. Mine had a small hole at the top and again at the rear light cluster. My paintshop pal used some sealer on it and once it was dry i painted it so it looked better.

Will look spot on with the proper rear plate.

• 4 weeks later...

Would there be any interest in this if I offered it for sale or possibly a roffle?

It's a lovely car to drive (notwithstanding the wandering) but I've just not gelled with it, I think it's the colour. That and the missus hates it so it looks like it'll have to go.

I paid £625 for it (probably too much given the bits of work that needs doing). Would £500 be too much to ask?