The £250 Zafira B - Fin. Bean can time!

beko1987

Fitted! Was at the garage for 7.45. He took the first one in. After hearing the rattle gun struggle for 2 minutes, he asked if I minded him trying the big hot spanner. With nothing to really loose I said yes, and 5 minutes later heard the rattle gun stop ratcheting and spin!. He went straight in with heat on the second one and 25 minutes later I was on my way. He said £15 for the pair, I gave him £20!

Had them back on the car by 9.15 and cleaned up and came to work, Amys taking it for its retest later this morning, after heavy complaints about having to do it...

post-5612-0-64411900-1518436770_thumb.jpg

Done! Thanks for watching, see you maybe next year the another exciting* vauxhall update! Need to tweak the drivers wiper arm a spline or 2 though, it just goes off the edge of the window, but as I explained to Amy, I adjusted them to not bind up and work incase it rained, will sort it properly when I'm not late for work!

I think the MOT bloke thought I was cheap too, fitting used rear springs as he huffed about having to get it on the ramp to properly check them because their not 'new'. They take 20 minutes to change without needing to gas axe stuff at a garage so I'll deal with them if they go again!

• 2 months later...

Gosh, what a lovely day. Can't wait to get home, cut the lawn, maybe have that beer that's been in the fridge for about 3 weeks...

*ring ring*

"Hello my dear, how are you on this glorious day?"

"Well, I'm driving back from Aylesbury, and the carw on't go above 20mph, and the engine light is on"

*Stomach does that dropping thing one gets when one recieves phone calls like that*

"OK, when did this start, where are you, is it pissing fluid everywhere etc"

"Dunno, but I can't go above 20mph, then shows me via audio by revving the thing up and saying it's still doing 20mph"

"Right OK, so it's in limp mode. Why dont you pull over and put that £14 a month to the AA?"

"Nah, I'll carry on, I'm only 4 miles from home"

OK, whatever. 10 minutes passes...

"Ring Ring. I'm in a layby, because it started smelling hot (no temp gague on the dash on this...) so I'm waiting 5 minutes then I'll carry on"

"Could you put the heaters on a sec and tell me what it's doing?2

"Put the HEATERS ON in this weather, are you fucking joking...JUST DO IT

Hotter then it's ever kickedo ut heat before apparently...

*Alarm bell 1* but fine, whatever.

So, she get's home, and calls me to say as such. I ask if she could pop the bonnet and take a picture of the coolant tank... Some fumbling occurs, bonnet gets lifted and "Is it the tank full of black liquid?

*Alarm bell 2 falls off it's mount and knocks me to the floor*

Take a pic love...

post-5612-0-81756600-1524142339_thumb.jpg

Now I may not have the way with words that Datsuncog has, nor the mechanical nounce of most of the people on here, but that does not look good to my eyes, especially since it was full of lovely pink coolant the last time I saw it...

So, shit writing over, on a scale of 1 to 5, how fucked is it? I'm going to have a look tonight, does the 1.8 petrol in these have a habit of fracturing an innocent oil line or has it utterly fucking fucked itself m8?

Plan A - Simple Fix

Plan B - I spend the £100 I have saved for shitefest so far, and the £100 of the money Amy has saved for her holiday and a bit from payday and buy this or similar https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/for-sale/1292687867 and Amy uses the Laguna until we think of a Plan C...

Naff all I can do until I get home tonight, I've put the ramps in the car from mums so I can hopefully throw it up on there and crawl under it...

Is the dream over?

I have this engine in my Astra and theyre not known for HGF nor do they have an oil cooler or owt, unless its an auto.

It does seem to point to oil getting into the water though and HGF is the only thing I can think of, given the other symptoms described.

All the forum posts I'm reading for the zafira say Oil cooler, no mention of gearbox or BHP though.

I'll keep happy and think it's that for now, will take the sudden drop into depression when I'm sure. The full on limp mode hissy fit is the only niggling thing in the back of my head, hoping it's got a nice big juicy fault code waiting for me when I get home, the light went off and it drove OK after a small rest... Plus, let's not forget this is Amy giving diagnosis over the phone, her idea of running hot and a sensible persons idea might be different, it's always been hot after a run, the wavy air kind of hot when you open the bonnet

Nightmare, hope its an easy fix. 

Me too! Ordered the seal kit, fuck it! Seems more logical to try £25 and see rather than write it off where it sits, will never get another Zafira B for £250! Plus if I ordered it today, 1st class postage it might turn up over the weekend, got it sent to home rather than work just in case

Then if it does work it's out with the dishwasher tablets to clean the coolant system and hope its not knackered the thermostat or any sensors

Hoping not, because that's £150. Reading all the forum posts the internal seals fail. The first signs are oil dripping out onto the manifold, which may explain the oily smell when the thing is hot and idling that I may have been ignoring all winter...

Saying all this I'm basing my hopes on the fact that it even has an oil cooler now, especially after split_pin's post. All the forum posts from vauxhall bears says it does. Will find out in a few hours when I get home and have done a few basic HGF checks

Anyone got any basic HGF checks BTW? Was going to see if the coolant bubbles when started from cold, smell the oil and, erm... CBA with a sniff test kit though I'll be honest, not at the stage

Luckily* it's the sort of weather that I can drain the coolant and fill it with water for now, A to see if it does it again then B to start the flush. Will put proper antifreeze in when it's all sorted, if it's ever sorted...

I even printed a how to guide out just incase I get more stuck in tonight than I had planned!

No mayo just means coolant isn't in the oil. Just that the head gasket has failed and the oil is getting into the coolant. But the header tank isn't full of Hellmans. It looks like it's full of black oil. I suspect the coolant has long, long gone. That's why it was doing 20 mph, engine light on, about to seize.

A Mars Bar says it's been cooked, and it's fucked. Every coolant hose will now be contaminated and you'll need to run engine degreaser through it to try and clean it out. But it doesn't look very good.

Petrol GM engines do HGF. Not common, but it happens. There's a 1.8 Insignia in Copart within a spectacular HGF, oil pissing out of the header tank - literally shat itself.

Have you got J.Brown's number? 

post-3069-0-46262700-1524158436_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-27733800-1524158445_thumb.jpg

What is the level of the oil on the dipstick? A cooling system holds a good few litres. I looked at the first pic and wondered what issue I was looking at... just assumed it had a black plastic header tank!

If there is no oil cooling running through the coolant system to go pop then I'd say the OMGHGF test is complete.

Just caught up... It's odd, stupid thing.

First thing was the header tank

post-5612-0-29356700-1524163186_thumb.jpg

Few bits of scum. Tiny drop of mayo on the cap though

post-5612-0-54420600-1524163221_thumb.jpg

No bubbles in the tank when idling though.

Nothing on the dipstick bar golden oil either, it's even at roughly the right level.

Underneath has a few oil drips, but it's not pissing it out.

Probably the most annoying thing though is no stored fault codes from the massive sulk it did earlier. Was sort of banking on that.

Sending her out in it later, see if it does it again.

Found an app similar to Ohno renault, so gave it a go and took the free trial, and voila, an code!

post-5612-0-71503700-1524165688_thumb.png

Will look at that. It also confirms that there's something wrong with the cim module, it connects to it but can read no data. Meh, not it's biggest problem now.

So, the thought in my head is:

The camshaft sensor shat itself, hence why it was fine when amy turned it off and on

It wasn't running hot, it was just 28 degrees outside, the air con was blasting away and Amy scared me

Might do the oil cooler seals anyway as it might stop the oil smell at idle and I've bought them now

Look at the camshaft sensor

She's gone out in it now after I've cleared the codes to get chips, so I'll see if it does it again