The Mighty Sherpa (LDV etc)

Cavcraft

Guest Lord Sward

That's in The Road To Muckle Flugga I believe. Wondrous tome.

Thats exactly it.  I'm re-reading it at the moment.  Hard to believe that book is 13 years old.

2 Sherpa /Freight-Rover things I really should point out.

1) you see how on the mid-to-late '80s 200 series, there is a black grille on the waistline at the rear of the sides about the size of a fag packet?  Well that was there to vent the van, extract stale air et certera.  Well this proved to be a significant security issue.  Littlewoods home delivery and Federal Express demanded these be removed.  You can see on one of the above photos that the vent and has gone and a piece of sheet steel skilfully/hastily inserted.  The panel pressings were changed and I believe the venting of the stale air from the van went out through re-designed rear lamps, hence the move from bumper to quarter panel.

Guest Lord Sward

Can you see that last picture of the rear of a 200 series on page 6 posted by CMS206?  That one has been blanked out, post PDi.

Yeah, they could be popped out/smashed out and a bit of wire used to open the doors.  Royal Mail had slam locks by Yale I think>  Much higher security.

attachicon.gifIMAG0241.jpgThis was my last Pilot 3 years ago, I added the side windows and the black surrounds,

It had the ultimate of desirability, a tailgate instead of two doors.

From the Mot history/DVLA it looks like it has fallen out of use sadly, probably fell due to the Peuguot cracked head weakness.

Look closely, you can just make out the Orange Headrest covers !!

This is fantastic.

post-20743-0-49664300-1485724718_thumb.jpg

Would have gone very well with one of my old Triumphs.

post-20743-0-34939300-1485724877_thumb.jpg

Also long since scrapped but wouldn't they have made a great pair.

Re. V8 ambulances.

As i've related on here before, back in 2005 or 2006 I bought an engine from a crashed 30,000-mile London ambi service V8 LDV. It was a 1996 and still on SUs, hooked up to a ZF auto box. The bloke at the local Daf/LDV dealer reckoned that they went over to fuel injection in '96/'97 so it must have been one of the last. It was a superb engine - I put it in my series 2a Land Rover and it went like shit off a shovel. No restrictors on that one, it did have two alternators though.

A few years later I was on a magazine assignment to Guernsey and went out with their rescue service. In the ambulance shed was the most Minty McMint LDV I've ever seen, it was a V8 and the paramedics all loved it for the noise but not much else. Love to think it was still working.

I found another pic of mine. Although it was comprehensively knackered, it was a hugely endearing thing with real character. I wanted to keep it as a daily use vehicle, I always liked having a van, so I did begin seriously going through it and fixing up the many problems. Unable to find leyland daf 200 rear doors to replace the rotten originals, I managed to fit some pilot ones (they fit the door aperture but the hinge mounts are completely different)

I set about fixing the many dents, rusty bits, respraying it a bit at a time.

I changed the front kingpins. (Axle has to come off, but it's actually a really easy job)

I fitted a nice recaro seat to replace the ripped to shreds original.

I fitted a truck air horn with seperate air tank and a pull chain.

I fitted knight rider lights in the grill.

I had a set of spacers and a set of rover p6 rostyles to go on, as well as chrome side pipes.

Sadly, the entire rear braking system needed overhaul and I couldn't get any parts. The engine was on its last legs and I couldn't find a straight replacement, prima turbos were already fetching strong money thanks to the landie lot. The final straw was when the steering box ran out of adjustment. Replacing one is a bitch of a job and the van was nigh on undriveable much over 40m.p.h. I should have started with a better example.

post-5001-0-23664300-1485791098_thumb.jpeg

Apart from caning a couple of work hack Convoys a few years back and robbing the engine from a Freight Rover 350, I only have one other LDV dit.

Four or five years ago I went to do an article on a Landy in Birmingham. The bloke lived virtually opposite Washwood Heath and knew the security guards. He managed to get permission for us to do the photo shoot in the grounds of the works and we had the run of the place for an afternoon. By this time there was nothing left except a couple of transformer buildings and a couple of manky portakabins, down the side of one was some maxus door skins and bits of roof rack etc.

I did, with permission, pick up a keepsake. Note either the misprint or this is the plate off the most heavy duty LDV ever.

post-3736-0-15076800-1485794869_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons to have a Sherpa, maybe in it's Daf incarnation, is composite front leaf springs.

I have been fascinated by composite leaf springs since mid '80s visits to a  GKN site in Wolverhampton where they were being developed for the Sherpa and for HGV applications. I have never been sure for how long or to which models they were fitted, there is a wee bit of info on the AR website but not enough. 

Fantasy Sherpa - Early, yellow, chassis cab with wooden dropside, Leyland badge at front, Daf badge at the back, 2.0 O series + auto, composite springs/axle and pas from a later variant.

The Post office in Hereford are still using Convoys, the school bus for the village primary school is a Convoy (driven by the same woman who drove the Sherpa bus when my daughter was at school there in 1990).

(But when I was at school, pre Sherpa, the same driver had a Bedford CA based bus. Milkfloat slow that was.)

I'm pretty sure the springs were developed for the 350 and the Leyland Roadrunner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsmHUPkXTk

Damn it, I seem to have wasted a lot of time in the last few days watching Sherpa stuff on you tube.

That brown van was sadly scrapped after it's idiot owner didn't pay storage fees, I'm sure I posted a photo of it in happier times already in this thread